PDA

View Full Version : This weekend - Where to go?

laserbrn
06-08-2011, 02:46 PM
I was planning on fishing this weekend at the lake targeting stripers, but due to mechanical failure on the boat, I'm looking to head out for the great big blue ocean on someone else's boat.

Seems like all of these reports are bad and a lot of the landing/boats are pissing off customers so I'm trying to figure out who's had a GOOD experience with a GOOD crew on a boat that they enjoyed. I realize that not everyday is going to be WFO fishing, but I don't want to go out on a jerk off boat with a dillweeds for crew members.

I'm willing to go out of anywhere from Ventura to San Diego and I'm looking for a 3/4 day or overnight trip (if the overnight's are worth it right now).

Thanks guys/gals.

mrider
06-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Mostly depends on what you waat to catch. The seabass bite is decent and you can catch an overnighter to Catalina from many landings like 22nd, Pierpoint, Newport etc. There is always the smaller 6 and 4 packs that are doing pretty well on them. The 3/4 bite for Rockfish is solid up in Ventura and Sea Landing. Barracuda are chewing today from Newport to Pierpoint. I'm not sure about the South Bay. I'm thinking about throwing the surface iron for some slime sticks on a 1/2 boat myself.

The San Diego YT bite is down right now so I would'nt drive down.

Which Way Out
06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I can say the Oxnard boats I have been on were good. Don't recall the name of any at this time. Also know someone that works on the Stardust out of Santa Barbara and always gets on fish. Weather permitting of course.
I would think with some of the bad press that went around the past few weeks the crews of any questionable boats has been resolved by now.
Hope for good weather and get out there. Take a camera and post your trip.

Good luck

kzhlin
06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Ventura area usually gets LOTS of rockfish. Some cBass, cuda, and YT showing up there recently as well.

Some sheepshead at Dana, Newport, and Davey's Locker.

YT action is not great at SD yet.

DockRat
06-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I would gamble on Catalina and hope for a WSB. DR

Delete this thread. Then, recreate it in the saltwater general board. I will then share my information.http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/CommentCrazyGirl/Smileys%20Emotions/Snarky%20Mad/whippingsmiley.gif

laserbrn
06-09-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll probably go out of the Oxnard/Ventura area and I'll report back after the weekend. As far as deleting the thread and moving it.....get over yourself, you're not that cool. If I don't move this thread, you won't post your reports or information on recent Saltwater activity?

I don't want to discuss general Saltwater discussion, I am looking for recent reports and information directly related to recent activity, not discussing what gear I should bring, what my favorite kind of fish is or other general discussion's about saltwater fishing.

"Delete this thread. Then, recreate it in the saltwater general board. I will then share my information. ", what a worthless reply, thanks.

BabyKiller
06-09-2011, 09:03 AM
here is some good info for anyone to use.

pierpoint.
socal- great little 1/ day boat with a buncha regulars. ed is cool cook that makes tasty burgers. Ryan, the captain, has worked all the way up from pinhead. He has a ton of time on the water. That being said, he will fish a buncha wrecks for bass if bites are slow. This weekend looks like the barries and bass are just about to go off at the flats.

toronado- successful open party overnight boat. They fish catalina 90% of the time. Recently they have been in on a flurry of seabass bites. This weekend will be about seabass. However, they loose some fish boatside due to how high the boat sits outta the water. A lot of anglers will pull the fishes head outta the water and SNAP. Dont do this.

22nd street
monte carlo- 1/2 day boat that always has a few pinheads during the busy season. Sometimes a bit crowded. If the crew is fishing on a crowded day, ask them to move outta your spot. Overall a decent operation that will fish the horseshoe kelp for barracuda in about a week. Sometimes makes a trip to the flats, which is a long boat ride with little fishing time.

Pursuit- full day boat that fishes catalina everyday. People have a tought time on this boat due to the crowds. It gets packed. 70 people fishing for yellowtails is tough. Lotta hurt feelings, spot stealers, and jerks. However if you can stay cool, you have a shot a some nice fish for a cheap trip. Also if danny is still the cook, don't bother. That guy routinely barked at customers, and took a long time with orders. I orderd a breakfast burrito at the landing, and didnt get it till we were at the island. 1.5 hours is weak. This happened more than once.

Freedom-overnight charter/ open party trips. This is the best overnight boat i have ridden. Capt Tom will always push it to the limits to get on a bite. This boat makes its own squid like nothing. Stop at catalina, catch squid, then off to San Clemente Island is the summer. Right now he will be at catalina fishing the seabass bite. I had a trip last year that it went wfo. 3 fish limits in 1.5 hours. Crew will absolutely bust its ***. Peanut has worked his way up from half days on the southern cal. Cool dude and always helpful. Another note, Tom will help each angler land a fish in the early part of a bite. Great coaching and gaffing. This man loves what he does.

When boats are fishing seabass, they generally have homeruns or strike outs. Not a lot of action in between. If you do an overnight outta the channel islands area, this is moreso the case.