PDA

View Full Version : June 3rd to June 5th Report - Independence to June Loop

RiverWalker
06-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Hello Everyone.

Finally recovered from our 1st trip of the year to the Eastern Sierras with the guys. I'm starting to realize that my body can no longer handle these overnight drives with no or little sleep and then fish for 3 full days. I'm trying but damm it took me until today to finally feel normal again! Oh wells. Although the catching wasn't the greatest, it was still worth it!

Now for the report...Sorry no pics. I was Tubing most of the time and it was Freezing out there so I didn't want to be messing around with a camera. Especially with semi-numb frozen hands.

Met up with the rest of the guys at about 10:30 pm on Thursday and loaded up. Arrived into Bishop at about 3:30 am. Tried to catch a few hours of sleep before heading up to Intake 2 but that wasn't happening. Too much adrenaline running through my veins as usual. Happens every time!

PLACE: INTAKE 2 (BISHOP)
ANGLERS: 7
WATER TEMP: 42 Degrees
CONDITIONS: Overcast / little sun / little wind

Pumped up our tubes and hit the water at around 6 ish. The water was about 42 degrees and the wind wasn't too bad. Out of 7 heads, we managed to catch a total of around 20. Not the wide open fishing I had there during the closer last year. Out of the 20, two of us caught about 15 of them. All of mine were released. No fish over a pound. Two were small browns and the rest we're bows. I mostly jigged Gulp and Crave worms in Orange and Pink. Also caught one using a green/brown mini jig. The other guys were either jiggin or throwing gold/red Thomas Buoyant. The TB's did well as usual this weekend. Headed out at about 12:00 pm or so.

PLACE: SABRINA LAKE (BISHOP)
WATER TEMP: 51 Degrees
CONDITIONS: Overcast / little sun / Windy

Wow! Sabrina lake is LOW! Decided to jump on our tubes and try it anyways near the dam. Metered a ton of fish but they were down deep at about 18 feet. I managed to catch 1 pan size Bow while drifting a Gulp Crawler. While fighting the wind on the tube, I cramped up and decided I should get out ASAP! The wind was really howling at this point and pushing all of us towards the dam. 1 fish total in about 1 hour of fishing. Conditions sucked!

PLACE: BISHOP CREEK (BELOW SABRINA)
WATER TEMP: DIDN'T CHECK
CONDITIONS: Overcast / little sun / Windy

Found a few fish pooled up near the big rock and by the bridge so we gave it a try. I caught 1 little bow 'Fly Spinning' a Stimulator and a cricket fly. A buddy of mine also caught his first Brookie! We stayed her for about an hour or so then headed back into Bishop for a late lunch. We usually hit up a lot more sections of the creek on both forks but ran out of time. North Lake was still frozen and the road was closed. I love that place! Same goes for South Lake I believe.

Headed over to Mammoth to check into our condo. Had a little time left before sundown so we tried to hit one of the Mammoth lakes. Unfortunately the roads were still unplowed and closed. With little time left, we opted to fish Mammoth Creek.

PLACE: MAMMOTH CREEK (Down stream from Bridge on Old Mammoth road)
CONDITIONS: Overcast / little sun / little wind

I caught 1 decent size bow on a salmon egg and 1 busted up knee from tripping on a root! Still hurts! =) 2 of my other friends found a nice pool and pulled out close to 10 decent sized Bows in about 20 minutes or so. Called it the day.

PLACE: GRANT LAKE (LUNE LOOP) (INLET)
WATER TEMP: 46 DEGREES
CONDITIONS: Dark Clouds / WINDY/ Moderate to heavy Drizzle All day!

We wanted to make the drive to the Virginia Lakes but since it was frozen, we decided to hit Grant lake instead. Heard good reports from Rick's sporting goods in Mammoth. Grant lake had a lot water! Most I've seen in years. We all launched our tubes in the lake but near the Inlet side. My buddy immediately catches 2 nice Bows on Gold/Red TB lures on the first drift out. I decided to kick my way towards the actual inlet to Rush creek to get out of the wind. Let me tell you, the inlet is really nice right now for tubers who could actually access it. Shoreline fishing would be impossible with all of the surrounding vegetation. I back into a reeds and other plants to block the wind and started working the multiple forks of the creek/inlet. It was deep and fishy! I saw a nice 4 pound Bow jump right in front of me like 4 different times. It was only a matter of time before I caught my first fish. In total, I managed to catch 14 really nice Bows. All we're in the 1 to 1.5 pound class. A few Alpers mixed in too. I feel a little bad about it because my friends didn't find me for a while and they didn't catch much after the first two on the first drift out. I would of gladly called them over but I was too far. I need to come back to this spot! I caught 2 on a Red/Gold TB Lure, 1 on a green/brown mini jig, and the rest on either a Orange gold worm or Orange Gulp Crawler.

PLACE: RUSH CREEK
CONDITIONS: WINDY AND RAINING

It was raining pretty bad at this point but we still hit it anyways. I managed to catch 3 more nice Bows on Salmon eggs. Rush creek looks really nice but the fishing was pretty tough. Another guy caught a nice 18" Bow as well. Lots of nice deep pools and runs. Nice pocket water too. Little fish though. Probably could of worked it harder but everyone was tired so we called it the day after about hour or so.

PLACE: PVR (Owens river from the Power Plant)
ANGLERS: 4
CONDITIONS: WINDY WINDY WINDY

Some of the guys headed home early so the people in my ride decided to hit the Owens river that flows into the PVR. We walked in about 1/4 mile and just fished the river. Unfortunately DWP turned on the flows and the water was raging pretty good. Still fishable though until the winds picked up and made the river look like it was flowing the opposite direction. My friend manage to catch 3 nice bows on Rebel lures.

We then tried to fish the Lower Owens on Warm Springs road and the sand traps in Independence but the wind was just too bad. We caught a couple more and decided to head back home. Overall I had a great trip even though the conditions sucked! I could deal with the cold and snow and even some rain but I absolutely hate dealing with strong winds. My Sierras itch was definitely not satisfied. Luckily I have a family and friends camping trip planned later this month in the Western sierras! Hopefully the conditions are much better then.

MexicanPistachio
06-08-2011, 01:09 PM
nice report. i like how you broke it down by water. wind seems to be the word so far this year.

smidge
06-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the report, great write up.

Which Way Out
06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Wow you did a lot of driving for sure.
Great report and thanks for sharing.
To cold for me still but its always to good to get first hand reports.

IncredibleHuck
06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Great report! I like the breakup of the water this way!

RiverWalker
06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks Guys! Yeah. A lot of driving and a lot of wind but well worth it. On the guys trip we try to cover as much as possible since we can. The trip with the family is a totally different story though but still fun just the same. I was just so bummed that all of the higher elevation lakes were still frozen. I was really looking forward to tubing the Virginia Lakes and some of the Mammoth Lakes. The scenery is just so much more beautiful in the higher elevations and that's half of it for me. Not just the fishing. The weather conditions were crappy but I honestly rather deal with bad conditions up there then be in good weather at home. Since we're doing the family thing this year in the Western sierras near Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake, I won't be on the Eastside until maybe November for the (near) closer trip. Can't wait!

cpt_majestic
06-08-2011, 05:38 PM
great report....thanks....Heading up in a week solo with pup,can't wait

phishin phool
06-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I know I'm kinda late but.....SWEET REPORT!!!!!! Thanks for all the great info, I'm gonna hit the rush inlet in a few weeks, hope its still good!!

great report....thanks....Heading up in a week solo with pup,can't wait

sierraslam
06-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Great report! I know what you mean when you say these trips can wear you out. Sometimes I need a vacation after my vacation. Now that I'm an old man I have to wait till early morning to leave town. Those all night drives, then get out and start fishing trips, just kill me. Heading up Friday! I hope to have something to report about. good fishin!

RiverWalker
06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks Phishin Phool...
PM me if you want to know where the honey holes were within the inlet. I scouted the inlet pretty good and found a few good holes where I was getting most of my grabs. I don't mind sharing.

I know I'm kinda late but.....SWEET REPORT!!!!!! Thanks for all the great info, I'm gonna hit the rush inlet in a few weeks, hope its still good!!

RiverWalker
06-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks SS. It's funny how you mentioned taking a vacation after your vacation because that's exactly what I did. I got back Sunday and told my wife that I was also taking off Monday because I needed a vacation from my vacation. LOL. On the guys trips, we used to drive all night with little or no sleep, fish all day till an hour past sunset, BBQ dinner at the condo, then drink and play poker into the wee hours. Then wake up early to do the same thing the next day(s). Now, we still drive up with little or no sleep on the first day but our spots per day are slowly decreasing. We have no energy to BBQ at the condo so we just grab some fast food for dinner. And although someone still brings the poker chips and cards, we have played in like 3 years now. Some beer still consumed but it's usually just knocks us out even faster. LOL. Hope the fishing was good for you this past weekend! I'm off the try the Western Sierras for the first time with the friends and family on Wednesday. We'll be near the Shaver Lake /Huntington Lake area. That's should be fun!

Great report! I know what you mean when you say these trips can wear you out. Sometimes I need a vacation after my vacation. Now that I'm an old man I have to wait till early morning to leave town. Those all night drives, then get out and start fishing trips, just kill me. Heading up Friday! I hope to have something to report about. good fishin!

Beancounter
06-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Nice report!
Thanks for the info.
Way to stick it out with the not so perfect weather!
Have fun on your trip.
We're heading up to June Lake Saturday. Can't wait.

flytyingreloader
06-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice report, indeed. I'll be heading to the Loop 7-5 through 7-8, staying at Oh! Ridge with a buddy next door in his trailer. He, his grandsons, and I will be in my boat catching trout that need a tow truck for transport to the taxidermist.

STOPBUGGING
06-20-2011, 11:28 PM
I was up there two weeks ago diidnt do good at intake ii but did good at the loop...

Fish hard

fishgeek
07-21-2011, 10:38 PM
what is the TB lure? :Confused:
Thanks and nice report!!