PDA

View Full Version : noodle rod for surf??

Tomrushen
06-07-2011, 10:40 PM
what up folks, Ill be heading to morro bay in a couple o months and I wanted to do some surf fishing and I got this 10' 6" noodle rod and was wonderin if it would be okay to throw out there. It's rated for 1-6lb test so i was wonderin if it might be a little too light and too soft for that type of fishing. I really don't know so any input would be great, thanks.

Ifishtoolittle
06-08-2011, 12:18 AM
If you're just targeting perch then you'll be fine. Otherwise, get a rod with a solid backbone and a sensitive tip. Oh and a 10'6" rod is unnecessary a 6'6"-7'6" is perfect.

tacklejunkie
06-08-2011, 05:10 AM
I use a 10' surf rod for perch and corbinas and YFC.
It was $50 from big fish bait and tackle. It's a two piece with a split grip and a carbon wrap. Looks pretty sweet/current.

10 footers are nice for fishing out behind the waves.

Tomrushen
06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I've gotta seven footer that I could also throw out there, and i'll probably use that if I fish the pier, but I heard for surf fishin u need a longer rod, why is that?? Is it to cast farther? What would I throw out there to catch perch? Thanks

vanillagurilla
06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
that rod will work, use 3/8oz sliders c-rig with gulp sandworms, 2" grubs, gulp minnows, sandcrabs, ghost shrimp, hell throw a castmaster or a small crocodile. 4lb tst, use good line like pline or izor cxx.

City Dad
06-08-2011, 02:11 PM
I've gotta seven footer that I could also throw out there, and i'll probably use that if I fish the pier, but I heard for surf fishin u need a longer rod, why is that?? Is it to cast farther? What would I throw out there to catch perch? Thanks

In my experience that locally - Pismo to San Diego - a 7' medium to light spinning rig is fine. Perch, croaker, corbina and assorted other species found in the surf zone are usually well within the casting range of that gear (and often times literally at your feet.)

I know in other parts of the country, "surf fishing" means 10' rods and enormous casts... and maybe some guys down here do it... but I haven't come across any situations in which the fish were out at that range... unless you're looking for threshers.

Search "Surf Fishing" on this site. The Late Grate Fisherman 57 posted the definitive article with everything you'll need to know to catch perch in the suds and I think it's still up. If not: 1/2" Carolina rig, #4 or 6 mosquito hook and a 3" Gulp Camo sandworm will usually catch fish if fish are to be caught. Focus on the trench and any other holes or depressions in the area where the brownish sandy water meets the greenish clearer water.

Tomrushen
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
wow, thanks for the input dudes...i'll check out that article for furthur info

Which Way Out
06-08-2011, 02:51 PM
What the others have said and you might even stop by a local bait and tackle shop and get the local low down.
That has worked many times for me in the past.
Another tip when talking to local shops is to have something in your hands to purchase. Soda, snacks whatever. Good advice doesn't always come free...
Good luck, take a camera and share the story.

jayman
06-08-2011, 02:55 PM
The gulp camo sandworms are the way to go as far as artificials for me.. I've never used but have heard great things about ghost shrimp. Mussels are a pain since they come off the hook easily, but work pretty well. I do best with sandcrabs. Soft shell if you can find them, and I try hooking them through the eggs since whenever I get short striked, the eggs are missing everytime.

WormFisher
06-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Get some Unibutter to dip your Gulp sandworms in. You will get 2x as many bites with it.