PDA

View Full Version : Multi-purpose active chum ball

TheAsianGuy
06-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Okay..I may be getting flocked for this, but have anyone tried a timed release chum ball for your fishing spot?

I've used homemade cheese baits in the past, mixed with my own concoction, and switch out the bait when it sits in the water for too long. What I noticed is the remaining oils and bait mixture continued to release long after the bait get tossed into the water attracted all size fishes within 5 minutes. Then an inspiration moment hit :Idea: Since we can't chum (well..not actively by throwing handfuls of something into the water to attract fishes), can we throw a piece of bait (a large bait ball) acting as a timed release chumming agent :???: :!!!: Imagine fishes coming the spot we tossed the bait ball, and dangling other baits around it to further entice the feeding. No laws observed prevent us from doing that..right? right?

fish-o-haulic
06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Okay..I may be getting flocked for this, but have anyone tried a timed release chum ball for your fishing spot?

I've used homemade cheese baits in the past, mixed with my own concoction, and switch out the bait when it sits in the water for too long. What I noticed is the remaining oils and bait mixture continued to release long after the bait get tossed into the water attracted all size fishes within 5 minutes. Then an inspiration moment hit :Idea: Since we can't chum (well..not actively by throwing handfuls of something into the water to attract fishes), can we throw a piece of bait (a large bait ball) acting as a timed release chumming agent :???: :!!!: Imagine fishes coming the spot we tossed the bait ball, and dangling other baits around it to further entice the feeding. No laws observed prevent us from doing that..right? right?

i donnt think so but im may not be understanding the question.

tree
06-08-2011, 07:24 AM
In theory I guess there's nothing wrong with it if you have a 2 rod stamp. 1 rod has a HUGE ball of bait on it that can slowly deteriorate, and the other rod has a solid chunk bait that you can stick next to the first rod.

Then as the first rod's bait deteriorates, you can replace it and cast it back into the same spot... It's not technically chumming, its just using wayyyyy too much bait :)

For example, if you tossed out a mangled mackerel carcass on a hook and shook it to release all the nasty oils, then had a nice cut mackerel tail on a second rod right next to it. Shake the first rod's carcass as if it were a worm on a texas rig, and the oils should spread nicely. Then its just a question of whether the fish want a large mashed up bait or a smaller cut bait.

edit: why cant we "chum"? the brits do it in their damn feeder fishing bait n wait.

http://youtu.be/ZCSwfTtCeRM

TheAsianGuy
06-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Well, we're not the same as our brother from across the ocean. Chumming simply decrease the chance of the stock fishes escaping our clutches, since they're so used to getting fed by automatic feeders that pretty much mimics the chumming. However, the "way too much bait" using the feeder method is a "splendid" idea. Not too much is wasted, and fishes can't get to the bigger encased bait..just the dangling bait itself.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 08:23 AM
In theory I guess there's nothing wrong with it if you have a 2 rod stamp. 1 rod has a HUGE ball of bait on it that can slowly deteriorate, and the other rod has a solid chunk bait that you can stick next to the first rod.

Then as the first rod's bait deteriorates, you can replace it and cast it back into the same spot... It's not technically chumming, its just using wayyyyy too much bait :)

For example, if you tossed out a mangled mackerel carcass on a hook and shook it to release all the nasty oils, then had a nice cut mackerel tail on a second rod right next to it. Shake the first rod's carcass as if it were a worm on a texas rig, and the oils should spread nicely. Then its just a question of whether the fish want a large mashed up bait or a smaller cut bait.

edit: why cant we "chum"? the brits do it in their damn feeder fishing bait n wait.

http://youtu.be/ZCSwfTtCeRM

in nevada you can :)

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 08:26 AM
if you did trees idea of cutting up the mackerel and letting all the oils out, just curious since salt brings out the moisture and juices of things would salt help draw out more oils quicker. making the "chum" more effective.

smokehound
06-08-2011, 08:30 AM
brine-cured mackerel is a powerful catfish bait stays nice and rubbery, too.

TheAsianGuy
06-08-2011, 09:16 AM
if you did trees idea of cutting up the mackerel and letting all the oils out, just curious since salt brings out the moisture and juices of things would salt help draw out more oils quicker. making the "chum" more effective.

Yep. The oil gets concentrated near the surface of the flesh, since the salt dries the surface of the flesh it get infused with, while the internal tries to compensate by diverting any available moisture to the areas that are more dry, similar to pickling using brine water for veggies and fruits. Asians love to eat it like that. Brings the flavor of anything forward. A bit of salt will enhance the flavor of anything it touches.

As the good Lord said, we are the salt of the world..Some of us are just too salty while some of us are too bland :LOL:

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Yep. The oil gets concentrated near the surface of the flesh, since the salt dries the surface of the flesh it get infused with, while the internal tries to compensate by diverting any available moisture to the areas that are more dry, similar to pickling using brine water for veggies and fruits. Asians love to eat it like that. Brings the flavor of anything forward. A bit of salt will enhance the flavor of anything it touches.

As the good Lord said, we are the salt of the world..Some of us are just too salty while some of us are too bland :LOL:

what did you have in mind for a chum ball.

DarkShadow
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM

I think carp "boilie" rigs use this concept, and I actually saw how it plays out during a trip to Casitas a few weekends ago.

The rig has a big metal spring where a BIG hunk of whatever bait they are using is tightly molded on it. From there, they had 2 smaller chunks of dough on small hooks.

Apparently, the big hunk in the middle will attract the carp, and when they notice that there are no hooks inside there, they are more willing to eat the smaller baits that do have the hooks in there.

It's hard to explain the rig, but I'm sure many carp fisherman know what it is.

RTG
06-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Chumming defined, Title 14, Cal. Code of Regulations, 1.32; placing any material in the water, other than on a hook while angling, for the purpose of attracting fish to a particular area in order that they may be taken.

You even called it a "chumming agent" yourself. I would be careful about that since most wardens are pretty patient and would watch for a loooooooooong time to see what you're up too. Just a word of advice.

RTG
06-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Darkshadow, that rig would be illegal under the chumming definition.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 12:14 PM
if its on a hook then it wouldnt be illegal and technically still chumming.

smokehound
06-08-2011, 12:16 PM
"placing any material in the water, other than on a hook while angling, for the purpose of attracting fish to a particular area in order that they may be taken."

This is legal. By your logic, putting attractant on a swimbait would be illegal.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 12:18 PM
wait attractant on a swimbait is illegal?

RTG
06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
"placing any material in the water, other than on a hook while angling, for the purpose of attracting fish to a particular area in order that they may be taken."

This is legal. By your logic, putting attractant on a swimbait would be illegal.

Not sure if you are referring to my post, but it is not my logic, it is what the regs say. Interpret it how you like. Chumming and angling are two different things and both defined in the regulations. My logic would say, though, that putting a giant gob of attractant on a hook that no fish could "voluntarily take the bait or lure in it's mouth (CCR, T14 1.05)" would be chumming. Kind of depends on how a warden see's it though, eh.

If a fish could eat it and get hooked in the mouth, then no problem. Putting scent on a lure that has a hook attached to it...no problem. Seems that guys trying to beat the system sometimes get burned. If you're a skilled angler you should be able to catch fish without cheating.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 12:30 PM
skill has something to do with it. but sometimes you can throw everything at fish and they wont bite. in that case skill cant do jack for you. if skill had everything to do with it it would be called catching not fishing.

RTG
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
skill has something to do with it. but sometimes you can throw everything at fish and they wont bite. in that case skill cant do jack for you. if skill had everything to do with it it would be called catching not fishing.

I totally agree. That is fishing for you. Nothing is guarateed. All I'm saying is that when that happens some people cheat, like chumming. For those who do cheat, sometimes you get caught, and sometimes you don't.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
true true.

DarkShadow
06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Darkshadow, that rig would be illegal under the chumming definition.

Sh¡t, I better learn how to say, "You're doing it wrong," in Russian then.

DarkShadow
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
So wait, if you're trolling an umbrella rig, with a bunch of swimbaits (but only 2 have hooks), is that illegal since you are using the other 'teasers' as attractants?

smokehound
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Not sure if you are referring to my post, but it is not my logic, it is what the regs say. Interpret it how you like. Chumming and angling are two different things and both defined in the regulations. My logic would say, though, that putting a giant gob of attractant on a hook that no fish could "voluntarily take the bait or lure in it's mouth (CCR, T14 1.05)" would be chumming. Kind of depends on how a warden see's it though, eh.

If a fish could eat it and get hooked in the mouth, then no problem. Putting scent on a lure that has a hook attached to it...no problem. Seems that guys trying to beat the system sometimes get burned. If you're a skilled angler you should be able to catch fish without cheating.Do you not understand other than on a hook? I'm not going to argue any further.. it's great that you like to see regulation enforced, it shows you care, but this is a loophole, and any warden ticketing you for this will LOSE in court, provided the angler doesn't use illegal substances like Bluegill, or trout guts.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Do you not understand other than on a hook? I'm not going to argue any further.. it's great that you like to see regulation enforced, it shows you care, but this is a loophole, and any warden ticketing you for this will LOSE in court, provided the angler doesn't use illegal substances like Bluegill, or trout guts.

im gonna have to go with smokehound on this one.

TheAsianGuy
06-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Hm..time to rethink the 2nd upper hook in a dropshot rig method, or use that huge bait, harden it, shove a hook in it, and use it as a sinker as well as hooked bait..now..that by definition is not illegal. The bait is just way too big for the fishes to eat, acting as a sinker, and an attracting agent all at the same time. I think I should find some lawyers to talk to the local DFG wardens.

TheAsianGuy
06-08-2011, 04:36 PM
what did you have in mind for a chum ball.

Chum ball, depending on what you're fishing for, can be anything. Instead of the quick saturated bread with a bit of favoring, I found that using an agar agent (seaweed extract) to bind cheese proteins, mixed with olive and fish oils, infused with anchovies, krills, or dried shrimp, rolled in sea salt and powdered garlic, and heat the heavy ball of bait for 20 seconds, you have one power scented attracting chum ball. I used it in the past to catch cats and trouts, or various ocean fishes, including string ray. Don't ask. Catch and release on those rays. I guess I'll use it as a hooked bait (on a 4/0 hook on a 6# test line :LOL: ), and as an added sinker in the drop shot rig. Can't say I violate any law there.

evosamurai
06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
i have never been checked for a fishing licens in my life maybe i shouldnt buy them anymore

TheAsianGuy
06-08-2011, 04:54 PM
i have never been checked for a fishing licens in my life maybe i shouldnt buy them anymore

I wouldn't risk that. I've got checked a few time while doing shore fishing. They will check randomly, especially during dawn and dusk.

DarkShadow
06-08-2011, 04:55 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CRgxs5OK7IM/TTnWMj-YZuI/AAAAAAAAADw/hN81R_W34Fk/s1600/waterboy_2.jpg

RTG
06-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Do you not understand other than on a hook? I'm not going to argue any further.. it's great that you like to see regulation enforced, it shows you care, but this is a loophole, and any warden ticketing you for this will LOSE in court, provided the angler doesn't use illegal substances like Bluegill, or trout guts.

It makes more sense if you complete the sentance...you said "other than on a hook", but needed to finish it with the part that says "while angling". If your using the attractant on a hook, but not for angling purposes then it is chumming. Yes, it would have to proven in court if the person cited argued it, but it is winnable. And also could be lost. Wardens aren't as stupid as some may think. If you think they just walk up and make a contact out of the blue, well, keep on believin'. I would think that you legal fishermen would want someone to "get theirs" if they are trying to use a loophole to catch fish. That is the point. What's wrong with obeying the laws that are in place to protect the resource???

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Hm..time to rethink the 2nd upper hook in a dropshot rig method, or use that huge bait, harden it, shove a hook in it, and use it as a sinker as well as hooked bait..now..that by definition is not illegal. The bait is just way too big for the fishes to eat, acting as a sinker, and an attracting agent all at the same time. I think I should find some lawyers to talk to the local DFG wardens.

thats a good idea

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Chum ball, depending on what you're fishing for, can be anything. Instead of the quick saturated bread with a bit of favoring, I found that using an agar agent (seaweed extract) to bind cheese proteins, mixed with olive and fish oils, infused with anchovies, krills, or dried shrimp, rolled in sea salt and powdered garlic, and heat the heavy ball of bait for 20 seconds, you have one power scented attracting chum ball. I used it in the past to catch cats and trouts, or various ocean fishes, including string ray. Don't ask. Catch and release on those rays. I guess I'll use it as a hooked bait (on a 4/0 hook on a 6# test line :LOL: ), and as an added sinker in the drop shot rig. Can't say I violate any law there.

did that work better than market baits.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 05:27 PM

the day you dont have it is the day theyll check.

TheAsianGuy
06-08-2011, 05:35 PM
did that work better than market baits.

Yep. The entire shore line were loaded with different powerbaits, worms, synthetic and live baits on scented oil, and cranks of all types. Our three rods were hit one after another within 3 minutes of casting, both drop shot and floating rigs. Caught our limits on trouts within 2 hours (15 total for three people in the family) smacked in the dead hours. That was just mind blowing. We gave the left over chunks to the other, and they were hitting cats and trouts about 75 feet offshore after we left. However, I tried the same recipes portions from Lake Gregory with Silverwood and Perris..nothing. Live baits work better.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
It makes more sense if you complete the sentance...you said "other than on a hook", but needed to finish it with the part that says "while angling". If your using the attractant on a hook, but not for angling purposes then it is chumming. Yes, it would have to proven in court if the person cited argued it, but it is winnable. And also could be lost. Wardens aren't as stupid as some may think. If you think they just walk up and make a contact out of the blue, well, keep on believin'. I would think that you legal fishermen would want someone to "get theirs" if they are trying to use a loophole to catch fish. That is the point. What's wrong with obeying the laws that are in place to protect the resource???

unless you just happen to put too much bait on your hook that the fish cant eat.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Yep. The entire shore line were loaded with different powerbaits, worms, synthetic and live baits on scented oil, and cranks of all types. Our three rods were hit one after another within 3 minutes of casting, both drop shot and floating rigs. Caught our limits on trouts within 2 hours (15 total for three people in the family) smacked in the dead hours. That was just mind blowing. We gave the left over chunks to the other, and they were hitting cats and trouts about 75 feet offshore after we left. However, I tried the same recipes portions from Lake Gregory with Silverwood and Perris..nothing. Live baits work better.

can i have that recipe lol, im currently experimenting with catfish baits to get a better bite rate than market stuff.

TheAsianGuy
06-08-2011, 05:47 PM
unless you just happen to put too much bait on your hook that the fish cant eat.

That's the idea! I'll PM you the recipe later.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 05:48 PM
thanks cant wait.

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
One thing ive noticed is the market baits arent as potent as homemade stuff. either its because they hold back on some of its potetency when they make it, or so many people throw in market stuff that the fish dont take to it as if it were brand new. any thoughts on this asianguy.

evosamurai
06-08-2011, 09:18 PM
leo you should try and go to the event at SARL on the 25th with us

TheAsianGuy
06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
One thing ive noticed is the market baits arent as potent as homemade stuff. either its because they hold back on some of its potetency when they make it, or so many people throw in market stuff that the fish dont take to it as if it were brand new. any thoughts on this asianguy.

Yep. The guy Emeric and I have been testing many of our recipes against some of the leading brand names baits, and Emeric found out that they did skim on the potency. He infused his test baits with the max potency that was meant to be used in the baits. And WHAM! His test baits lock onto fishes like missiles on a hot fireball. Same with mine. I attempt to test the level of delivery doses, and measure concentration from each ingredient until I get the ratio required. Like I said, each water body requires certain recipe, due to the water content, and the finicky of the fishes. Not all recipes are the same, but some are close enough to be universal.

leo you should try and go to the event at SARL on the 25th with us

A tad further than I hope. I need to be back home with the family for family activities around 2 or 3pm. So, early to lake, early to leave..I can't wait until all the kids are at least 6, and we'll haul all of them onto the lake with tubes/pontoons. Then I can go everywhere with them. For now, I'm limited to the 45 miles radius.

lwang0202
06-08-2011, 11:27 PM
That's the idea! I'll PM you the recipe later.

you think i can get the recipe as well? :Envious:

evosamurai
06-09-2011, 06:32 PM
leo dont u live in riverside? thats less than 45 miles.....and can i get in on that recipe too? lol

fish-o-haulic
06-09-2011, 06:40 PM
wow maybe i should have asked you in a pm about the recipe sorry leo.

evosamurai
06-09-2011, 08:04 PM
he can say NO

TheAsianGuy
06-09-2011, 08:21 PM
:LOL: oh you guys..yes..I live in Riverside. I've PMed you both recipes. Didn't you guys get it?

fish-o-haulic
06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
he can say NO

wo hold on there i was just kidding evo.

fish-o-haulic
06-09-2011, 09:37 PM
:LOL: oh you guys..yes..I live in Riverside. I've PMed you both recipes. Didn't you guys get it?

Oh by the way i did get both of your pms thanks.