PDA

View Full Version : First Casting Rod: Need Advice

TroutKings3
06-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey guys, I've always been a spinning fisherman, but I recently picked up a Citica 200e to hopefully use on some bay bass and maybe freshwater bass as well. I'm looking for a rod with good accuracy and one stiff enough to handle bay bass trying to run to the pilings. I already have a bay bass spinning set up that uses the AG Vendetta, which I like, and I love the Shimano Clarus line as well. What model would you guys recommend for under 100?

Thanks,
Travis

.:LOLLY:.
06-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I have a 7'11" collapsible clarus that works just fine but my new favorite is a 7'-0" clarus that I use in both freshwater and salt water. This rod is strong enough to handle Halibut & Bonito and sensitive enough to even catch bluegill.

That Dang Guy
06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Used is a fantastic way to get into a nice rod without paying a high price. Shimano Crucials are a great rod for about 70-85 used. Shimano's warranty is unmatched regarding rods.

CRCX70M seems like a good fit for what you're doing.

DarkShadow
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Used is a fantastic way to get into a nice rod without paying a high price. Shimano Crucials are a great rod for about 70-85 used. Shimano's warranty is unmatched regarding rods.

Ditto on that sentiment. With the economy the way it is, the population of bait monkeys that frequent our message boards, deals are plentiful.

New rod?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Temple_Fork_Gary_Loomis_Signature_Casting_Rods/descpage-TFGLC.html

TFO Loomis Signature Cast Rod 7'6" Heavy, or a 7" Heavy if you don't like the longer length.

tacklejunkie
06-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah 7' medium heavy or heavy should do ya for just about anything.

Watch out, you're gonna get hooked if you start in on the LMB fishing.

Then you'll quickly realize you need more rods and reels and baits and lines and tackleboxes and tackle and tackle stores and boats and rod wrappers and tubes and kayaks and hook sharpeners and and and

You know..
I've noticed a nice custom rod can cost about what a new mid range rod does too.
A nice route to go if you know what you are looking for... maybe later down the road. :Wink:

fish.n.stein
06-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Actually I picked up one of the 7 foot quantum smoke micro guide rods fished both fresh and salt with it. Its super light with a good backbone and affordable as well