PDA

View Full Version : probably a dumb question

fish-o-haulic
06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I know this is probably a dumb question and i feel kinda embarresed to ask it but. Is there a certain age you have to be in order to go out on a float tube. And do you know where i could get one and whats a reasonable price. I feel stupid for asking this but, i havent gone on one yet and i dont have the money for a boat, and i hear about tubers catching all the time so im interested in finding out as much as i can on the subject. Thank you for any info you give me, I truly appreciate it.

fish-o-haulic
06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
nobody has anything to say. ive been looking around but not having much luck.

.:LOLLY:.
06-07-2011, 09:12 AM
No such thing as a stupid question. You'll never know the answer if you don't ask!
I'm not sure about the age regulations but there are deals to be had on Craigslist. As Far as prices go, it all depends on which make and model you want.

Don't forget about the fins & life jacket

Tight lines

That Dang Guy
06-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Apparently it's not a dumb question. I have no idea either!

fish-o-haulic
06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
No such thing as a stupid question. You'll never know the answer if you don't ask!
I'm not sure about the age regulations but there are deals to be had on Craigslist. As Far as prices go, it all depends on which make and model you want.

Don't forget about the fins & life jacket

Tight lines

thank you i appreciate the info

Apparently it's not a dumb question. I have no idea either!

haha i guess im not alone.

.:LOLLY:.
06-07-2011, 09:19 AM
No problem!

HBAR
06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
at the last float tube event at Castaic lagoon there was a guy with a young kid there must have been between 10-12, so take it from there.

fish-o-haulic
06-07-2011, 09:25 AM
at the last float tube event at Castaic lagoon there was a guy with a young kid there must have been between 10-12, so take it from there.

thank you.

ItchyBass
06-07-2011, 09:30 AM
The cheapest place to get a float tube is probably ebay. A guy sells a bunch of ODC float tubes, i'm sure you can find him if you just search for ODC float tubes on ebay. Prices really vary based on what type of tube you want. As far as age requirements, i have no clue and have never seen anything on this subject.

FlamingTube
06-07-2011, 09:44 AM
The cheapest place to get a float tube is probably ebay. A guy sells a bunch of ODC float tubes, i'm sure you can find him if you just search for ODC float tubes on ebay. Prices really vary based on what type of tube you want. As far as age requirements, i have no clue and have never seen anything on this subject.

try this store http://stores.ebay.com/Boatmaster2009?_trksid=p4340.l2563 for age limit im not shure only thing i know so far is irvine sems to make it look like kids can use their tubes in their lake but 1 thing is for shure U MUST BE WEARING A PFD AT ALL TIMES hope theres no rediculus age limit got all gear for me and my son hes 10 going to float tube first time this summer :Big Grin:

5150fishn
06-07-2011, 09:44 AM
This forum is for sharing of information and there are no dumb questions just sometimes dumb answers!LOL
As far as age requirements I really don't know but I have seen some pretty youg kids in them. Best deals often
are on E-bay and sometimes for sale on this board in the classified section. It couldn't hurt to post a WTB post.

fish-o-haulic
06-07-2011, 09:56 AM
thanks everybody for the info.

dockboy
06-07-2011, 12:40 PM
There is no age limit for float tubing under state or federal law. Boating laws typically apply only to motorized or wind-powered craft. Lake rules are anyone's guess. Some lakes are more restrictive than others, just like with kayaks.
Check out the Prowler Fish Cat 4 in the Palmdale SC. I worked there for 2 years as part of Mt. Shop department. Best tube on the market for the price and warranty. They run $200, but with some searching on classifieds and you'll snag one for under $120 I'd bet. Keeps your groin out of the water, and you stay much drier than the standard butt in the water U boat or round tube. Anything to get you out is great, but right now I'm in a Classic Teton cheapo $80 dealio. I'm wishing I hadn't dropped the money on dealer rods when I was at SC, instead of buying a Fish Cat.
Breathable stockingfoot waders range from cheap to uber expensive. I use Hodgeman Wadelites, have two chest pairs and a guide style pant wader too. Basic $100 waders that will last a couple seasons of heavy use. You can buy $400 waders, but all waders leak eventually with time. Get chest waders so you can wade lakes or fish the surf too if you want, and buy a wading belt, without it you might as well have lead in your boots.
Don't necesarily have to use float tube booties, thought they are nice when you are don't have to slip on an cheap pair of strap sandals every time you walk out for launch.
Don't buy the cheap Caddis style strap fins. A decent $25-50 pair of snorkel/dive fins work fine for me. Force Fins rock, but cost more that most ppls tubes lol

seal
06-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Don't buy the cheap Caddis style strap fins. A decent $25-50 pair of snorkel/dive fins work fine for me. Force Fins rock, but cost more that most ppls tubes lol

Question, why are you against the Caddis style strap fins? I've been float tubing for well over 20 years and have used those or currently the Outcast (similar in style), the only issue is occasional slippage of the strap but not major enough to cause problems. This has been a point of disucssion by many and being that I've spent most of my life in fins (hard core body surfer) I still do not see the issues that some see with those types of fins. Float tubing is not about speed, at least from my perspective. The other deal is most dive fins do not accomodate wading boots which I use since I also do a lot of hiking in to waters.

TheAsianGuy
06-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Sorry..didn't see this Deandrew. There is no minimum age, but the recommended age is 12 years or older. I have a 12 year old and a 4 year old boys. Unless the reach a nice 4'10 inches to position themselves firmly into the tube, have the legs strength to kick with fins, that's not a problem. However, anyone who's under 16 years of age is required to have PFD. No if's, and's, or but's about it. Anyone above 16 in float devices becomes optional, but recommended. Talked to a few guards at the lakes, and they said the same. Someone may want to correct me on that if you have some insight. I saw a few 8 and 10 years old floating on different tubes at Lake Gregory..so, no age limit. Just big enough to fit into tubes properly.

TheAsianGuy
06-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Question, why are you against the Caddis style strap fins? I've been float tubing for well over 20 years and have used those or currently the Outcast (similar in style), the only issue is occasional slippage of the strap but not major enough to cause problems.

I have both. When I wear my wader, I strap on the tubing fins to accommodate my wader's booties. When I'm in shorts, or butt naked at night under the moonlit sky *too much info heh?* :LOL: I strap on the US Diver Flex FX. Works freaking well and I move pretty quick. Now, added the Sevylor telescoping oars, I move faster than those who walk on dry land with the same effort.

sonarbp
06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
However, anyone who's under 16 years of age is required to have PFD. No if's, and's, or but's about it. Anyone above 16 in float devices becomes optional, but recommended.

Hey TheAsianGuy...just for your information anyone who tubes, kayaks, or boats is REQUIRED by law to have a PFD. Not to mention some sort of noise device like a whistle or airhorn. Anyone under the age of 16 is required to wear the PFD at all times. I have seen alot of people tubing without the required gear....big $$$ ticket if you get caught.

Just thought you would like to know.

Tight lines.
Sonarbp

TheAsianGuy
06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey TheAsianGuy...just for your information anyone who tubes, kayaks, or boats is REQUIRED by law to have a PFD. Not to mention some sort of noise device like a whistle or airhorn. Anyone under the age of 16 is required to wear the PFD at all times. I have seen alot of people tubing without the required gear....big $$$ ticket if you get caught.

Sonarbp, thanks for the correction. Found a site with regulations:
http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Pfd/PFDs.pdf (page 3 of 6)

Should have PDF within reach, but not necessary wearing it. Anyone below 11 must have it on at all time. Good to have whistles and airhorns, but I think our mouths are a lot easier access to any any given time :Big Grin: Water + whistles = useless. Airhorn + heat = you don't want to be near it.

dockboy
06-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Question, why are you against the Caddis style strap fins? I've been float tubing for well over 20 years and have used those or currently the Outcast (similar in style), the only issue is occasional slippage of the strap but not major enough to cause problems. This has been a point of disucssion by many and being that I've spent most of my life in fins (hard core body surfer) I still do not see the issues that some see with those types of fins. Float tubing is not about speed, at least from my perspective. The other deal is most dive fins do not accomodate wading boots which I use since I also do a lot of hiking in to waters.

Just from personal experiences and from the issues good friends have had with the strap style fins slipping. They worked for me my first few hours in a tube, then the straps busted. I also don't wear wading boot when I'm tubing so thats a different issue altogether. They do work, but I've heard of and seen more issues over them than any other type of tubing fin on breakage and fins slipping off during use. That being said, if they work well for you then kudos. If my Caddis strap fins hadn't broken the first time out and almost slipped off, I probably would have stuck with them.