PDA

View Full Version : Westlake 060411

BuckBishop
06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
After some Saturday AM chores I got a call from my buddy, "where we fishin?" It was time to hit Westlake on the ElectraCraft 16.

I got to the lake first and got the boat uncovered and ready to go. The week prior, lake management came thru and dispensed blue granules along the mossy shore line. Now the water has been cleared of the accumulated moss and there was a cloudy color to the water. The sky is mostly cloudy and there is light wind adding some ripple to the water. Bass fry dart around pretty much where ever you look.

While waiting for my buddy, I decided to make a couple of casts off the dock with a white double willow spinner bait I had tied on from a previous trip to Casitas. Third cast in I hook a nice 3.64#. I'm stoked but wish my buddy was there to see. While I contemplate picture or release my buddy shows up. He's excited by the prospect of a spinner bait bite and claims 3.64 may be hard to beat. I let the fish go and make another cast while my buddy gets his stuff on the boat. Five cranks later, fish on! It's another nice fish and we're both getting all giddy anticipating an epic day at Westlake. I get the fish in and it goes 4.27#. My buddy is bummed because he didn’t bring any spinner baits but I hook him up with one of mine because that’s what friends are for.

We get underway and we’re both slinging spinner baits. We continue on our way out of the finger passing numerous docks heading out towards the main lake, but nothings biting?? We note that the previous bites came near the back of the finger so into the next finger we go. Nothing bites all the way down the finger, passing all these docks until we reach the end of the finger. We both cast the same area a couple of times when my buddy gets hooked up. It puts up a good fight and it looks close but only goes 4.16#. Still smiles from ear to ear. We decide to hit some fingers out on the island so we make our way out to main lake and fish docks along the islands main lake shore line as we go. My buddy gets another on a main lake dock, goes 2.82# we’re even two fish a piece.

My buddy starts throwing a spook off main lake points and gets a couple of blow ups but they’re not eating it. He keeps at the spook going into the next finger and gets another nice blow up that gets a little sting but come off. I follow up with the spinner bait and get hooked up, few cranks in and it comes unbuttoned. That fish went to nurse a sore lip. Another main lake point with the spook and my buddy gets a healthy bite that leaps and spits the spook. Maybe another 4#, we’ll never know?

The back of the finger pattern seems to fall apart and now we’re just working for bites. With multiple rods on hand, we’re throwing other baits too as we go but all our fish came off spinner baits. On prior visits to Westlake, small tubes on light tackle produced well to match the hatch. On this day it worked to catch the hatch. Probably the smallest fish I’ve ever caught on hook and line but a LMB none the less. If I count this fish, we both end up the day with three a piece.

Not as epic as we’d hoped for but no complaints. Still a nice day out with a friend doing what we love to do. And we love that reaction bite!

midgettosser1
06-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Cool to see a report from my home lake. Unfortunately, with lack of a boat, I am bound to the shore. But I've still had a lot of success. Unfortunately they let one of the 2 shore access spots to get overgrown a bit, which makes it a pain in the ***. On top of that, they took away a bunch of the extra docks I used to fish across from the landing. Oh well... hardly worth the effort nowadays. But still nice to get a fix on some decent bass here and there.
Good job on some quality fish.

david4u18
06-06-2011, 11:17 AM
where is this lake located

drifter023
06-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Thousand Oaks Privet use to be open to public huge crappie. Fished it alot in the old days:Sad:.