PDA

View Full Version : Lone Pine - June Loop June 1-3

Joshua
06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Left OC around 2 AM. This has turned into an annual trip, but schedules required that we back the trip up a week. Usually go the week before Memorial. However, with the wife's birthday landing on the same day as the trip. I had to back it up. Took my mom, nephew and nephew’s lab.. We make an interesting group.
WARNING: If your wife ever tells you it is OK to miss her Bday for a fishing trip. THEY ARE LYING. IT IS A TRAP!! DONT GO STAY WITH HER.
I missed her BDay many years ago and still hear about it

I knew the Sierras got hammered over the Memoral Day weekend. And Mule Days in Bishop really brings in the people

We started in Lone Pine and picked up a couple at the sand trap. Made a run up to Whitney Portal to check it our for a friend who is coming up next week. Not worth the drive

Hit up a couple spots along the creek and managed a few. Certainly not the active bite I am used to
Kept heading north and stopped at Taboose creek. Caught several fish. This spot had a lot of garter snakes. If you have a snake phobia. I suggest skipping this spot.

Made it up to Creekside RV park and got settled in. Bishop South Fork is running high and murky. Spent a little time driving around and checking out the Lake. Went by Parcher’s but Smitty was no where to be found. FLAKE :No Pity: Ended up hiking down into South Lake. It is amazing how deep this lake is once you walk down into the empty lake. Damn it got windy and cold. Started to snow, so we headed back to camp.

Thursday:
Got a late start (by design) Too cold and windy. Started at Lower Rock creek. Landed a few fish and decided to head north. Made it to June Loop and headed for Rush Creek. I am a creek person. Pulled out a few but had to work for them. Quick lunch on the roadside and we headed for Convict Creek

Ran down the Convict creek and managed a few. All rainbows. Bite was too slow so we decided to head back to camp. Stopped at Schats for some supplies and headed back to Creekside.

Had dinner and decided to try the North Fork Bishop. Road To North Lake is closed
Pulled out a couple below Sabrina, then ran to Intake II. Had a few short bites at Intake II. Nephew pulled in a few while fishing from the dam. We noticed that there is a lot of moss right now. Anything that sits will get covered, need to keep the bait moving.

Friday:
Packed up early, had to be home for my daughters softball game. (WARNING #2. Having an athletic child is awesome, BUT IT KILLS YOUR SUMMERS (and winter, spring and fall)
Stopped by Baker Ponds. Pulled in a few on power worms

Craziest thing. As we are driving down HWY 395 at 75 MPH. This dog comes out of nowhere. I slam on the brakes and turn to the right to avoid the dog. It slams into the side of the car. I was thinking that I just killed this poor creature. I check my rear mirror and see the dog laying in the road. There is a semi truck coming. This dog jumps up and runs off. I stopped and checked the car. There is no marks at all. I am thinking the dog hit its shoulder on the car and was knocked silly. We were in a section where there are no structures for 10 miles. I have no idea where this dog came from or where it was going. I am glad I didn’t catch it with the front bumper or run it over. I think the dog is OK.

Overall: The fishing was well below average. I am like a child that needs steady action. That is why I fish the creeks.
Weather: Good. Little windy, but that is expected in the Sierras. 70s in the valley , 40s on the Hills
Did drop into the teens at nights.

Don’t think I will come the week after Memorial Day. It will take a couple weeks for the area to rebound from that much pressure

Mom took a bunch of fotos. I will try and post them later. I always forget the camera

billy b
06-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Could be some loser just dropped the dog off ... maybe to die in the wilderness ... maybe for someone to take care of their problem. People just drop them off at Home Depots and other parking lots ... or in the middle of a nice (hopefully nice) residential area ... or in the parking lot of a big business. You're sure it wasn't a coyote, right?

Thanks for the interesting report!

Big Country
06-06-2011, 10:42 AM
You'd be amazed and what people have seen along the 395...here's an excerpt from a 1975 Bigfoot sighting from along the 395 from the BFRO website (report #25266 under Inyo County). This puts the sighting around Lone Pine/Indepence area.

NEAREST ROAD: Highway 395
OBSERVED: NOTE: Please see the following included sections for elaboration of details. Two of us were driving home from a day of skiing at Mammoth Mountain California. The road was a two lane highway (opposite directions) with a soft dirt shoulder. We were in an open convertible (because the skis did not fit otherwise).

The moon was full and the lighting was un-obscured and visibility was (near daylight) excellent. In the distance (well beyond the reach of the High beamed head lights) two of us could see a very large and (completely out of place) thing running ahead of our approaching car. It was on the other side of the road. We slowed, 50, 40,30mph... now in our headlights. Running on the dirt shoulder, obviously unaware of our approaching auto... There it was "Bigfoot"! At its closest point we were 10 UNOBSTRUCTED FEET FROM IT! EYE TO EYE!
ALSO NOTICED: Perhaps, the most "burnt in" recollection of the sighting was the look of absolute surprise on the creature...We were close enough to SEE (and almost SENSE how very startled it was by us being suddenly eye-to-eye with us.

The creature was SIGNIFICANTLY larger than even the largest of human beings (NO WAY THIS WAS A HUMAN BEING DRESSED IN COSTUME AS "BIGFOOT").

While, we were sitting in an auto, I can still say, with a high degree of accuracy, that the creature was eight to nine feet tall. The body mass was stout, thick in the chest/trunk, and very muscular. Even though 90% hair covered, you could see outline of significant "muscle definition and mass". This is much better than a guess; it weighed upwards of 500-600 lbs.

I can remember many details of creature: hair 90%, dirty skin tone, where there was leathery skin 10%, arm length, relative appendage size, and the biometrics of the approximate 15 mph running gate...Even the highly expression (because of the surprise) on its eyes...

STEVE IN SOCAL
06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
There's a big white dog that hangs out on 395 near Blackrock Springs, north of independence. It lives at 8 mile ranch, and used to go beg food from the road crews when they were widening 395.
As a side note, I killed my first goose in the same spot. After waterfowl hunting all day without firing a shot, this thing runs into my RF tire. I tried to avoid it,but it had a death wish.

dockboy
06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Luckily it was a dog and not one of the elk in the area. Have seen a few elk carcasses over the years from unfortunate drivers.
June is typically a very difficult month in the Sierras. Stream are usually high and murky, and the lakes are still pretty cold. By late June it will likely be much better. I agree that Taboose is snake country, very good idea to wear snake boots and gaiters there. I'd rather just tell people the fishing sucks lol

TROUT MASTERS
06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the report.
I did manage to hit 2 coyot's on 395 2 years ago.was not a good feeling.
Hey but im sure crows are still tanking me.:Dead Horse:

Joshua
06-06-2011, 03:17 PM
. You're sure it wasn't a coyote, right?

Thanks for the interesting report!

If it was a coyote is was one of the tallest and ugliest coyotes I have ever seen, I say it was a hyena or the elusive Chupacabara. It was tall like a Weimer and had the coloration of a hyena. Brownish his brindle spots. Needless to say, I had a quick close up look. I think I did a hella good job at avoiding this suicidal K9. As I swerved to the right, he was trying to stop. Then bam, he grazed the side of the van.

This is a company vehicle and the paperwork would have been horrible it there was any significant damage. Im glad the animal survived and I dont have to do any paperwork (and drug test)

Tom_Fish
06-07-2011, 03:52 PM
That Was a slow weekend fishing really had to work for them .
I saw That Dog!! It look like a long hair something out in the middle of no ware I almost got it to.

Rot8
06-08-2011, 06:07 AM
We started in Lone Pine and picked up a couple at the sand trap. Made a run up to Whitney Portal to check it our for a friend who is coming up next week. Not worth the drive

[
Was there no fish in the pond? That place was my daughter's favorite place to fish. Someone told me that the DFG doesn't stock it any longer. We were planning on visiting the area in a couple weeks. Looks like you saved us a trip. Thanks Josh...

Joshua
06-10-2011, 02:28 PM

[
Was there no fish in the pond? That place was my daughter's favorite place to fish. Someone told me that the DFG doesn't stock it any longer. We were planning on visiting the area in a couple weeks. Looks like you saved us a trip. Thanks Josh...
I saw maybe a dozen fish in the pond. Mostly smaller fish. Some looked to be stockers. Not sure if there is a small self sustaining population or if there were stockers. I would image the pond freezes solid in the winter, but I dont know for sure.
I have friends up there this week. I will get a report when they come back

Rot8
06-12-2011, 07:53 AM
I saw maybe a dozen fish in the pond. Mostly smaller fish. Some looked to be stockers. Not sure if there is a small self sustaining population or if there were stockers. I would image the pond freezes solid in the winter, but I dont know for sure.
I have friends up there this week. I will get a report when they come back

Thanks for the heads up!