View Full Version : Met my goal!

Technique
06-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Date: Jun 04 2011
Time: 8am to 5pm
Conditions: Morning clouds 5 to 10mph winds
Tackle: Carolina rig using live bait
Fish count: 1 spider crab/ 1 legal halibut

Set a goal for myself to catch a legal halibut off of Malibu pier and then start surf fishing. Started by catching some four-inch jack smelt to use for bait. I was checking my tackle box when all of a sudden the drag goes off just for a second or two. Got the rod and started winding up slowly, the end of the line felt heavy.:!!!: Something took over me and with out thinking I set the hook and began reeling in the fish as it was making its runs, but then I got my composure back and took it easy. Let the fish run “wow let me tell you it ran”, but right for the kelp. It got tangled in the weeds, but still managed to make some runs. Once it was tired I was able to see the halibut emerge. I thought to myself OMG this is my PB!:Razz: I looked around and saw a group of people surrounding me. A fisherman in the scene offered to help me bring up the halibut with the net. Awesome, we had landed the halibut. Got my measuring tape out and it measured twenty-three and a half inches. Not my PB, but awesome fight! Had I not found out about FNN I would have kept the halibut, but after reading a lot of threads on the website it inspired me to release my first legal halibut of the year.:Wink:

Caught this little one last Saturday.

Huge spider crab.

Not my PB, but put up an awesome fight!

This halibut measured 23 1/2 my PB is 24 inches

sidified
06-05-2011, 10:03 PM
May your decision to release that beauty bring you continued good luck.

Technique
06-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi, I just want to say thanks to wingnut for showing me how to start a thread. I hope that you guys enjoy my first thread as a new member of FNN! My next thread will be about surf gear. I want to get a new rod and reel and I would really appreciate any advise that I can get.

Wingnut
06-05-2011, 10:34 PM
That's a beauty... congrats and kudos for the release. :Thumbs Up:
Nothing wrong with keeping an occasional legal Hali for the dinner table.
But always release your personal best, no matter what species. :Wink: You will be rewarded with an even bigger one. :Envious:
Nice report, welcome to FNN and the new addiction... surf fishing! :Big Grin:
Looking forward to more of your future reports and if you have any questions regarding surf fishing, feel free to shoot myself, or any member of the S.W.A.T. Team a PM. We will do our best to steer you in the right direction. :Cool:

troutdog
06-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Very nicely done on Malibu Pier, reminds me of the days back in the 80s when the Lenbrooke and Aquarius used to make daily runs. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the board!

TD

DockRat
06-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Good job on the Halibut. Smelt is a great bait. Hardy, last a long time, too bad anchovies, and sardines don't last as long. Thanks for the report.
DR

Bait Fish
06-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Time to set a higher goal! WTG on the legal and the release.

stepchild
06-06-2011, 07:16 AM
you let it go!!!! wow...congrtats on the pier flattie...sounds like you had a blast battling it..

City Dad
06-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Nice work, WTG C&R.

Which Way Out
06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Welcome to FNN and congrats on that HB.

Technique
06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'm looking forward to posting more threads.

murrieta angler
06-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Howdy Technique,
First off, very nice flatty you got from the pier.
Second, what did you do with the crab?
Thanks for the report and pictures,
Robert
<><

n1ckxlam
06-09-2011, 07:37 AM
awesome catch man, look forward to hearing more reports!

Technique
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey Robert,

I tossed the crab back. Thanks for your post!