PDA

View Full Version : 6-3 Pyramid guide trip, Quest for the Grandslam

SDDave
06-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Took out Florida Dave and his friend Aaron up to the mid for a fun day of fishing, Dave lived in Florida and is out in Calif. working, he's used to Florida style fishing, hitting golf course ponds and fighting off alligators fishing canals for Peacock bass . So this was his first time going to the mid, so he booked a half day with me and this is how it went down.
We met at Gallions, loaded up and headed up the hill, launched and started pounding the banks right past the bouy line inside the channel, right away we stated picking off the bass, Dave had never caught trout or smallmoth and this would be his first time for striper, so I was going to try and get hime the grandslam..
Aaron was a newby to fishing so I had him in the center to instruct him on casting, but it didn't take long to see that the safest place for him and us was in the back of the boat...lol
He hung in there and got some fish, but not after some trail and error.
As we worked the banks, the fish were as before hitting the LC's and we hooked quite a few fish and lost a few to... Dave had completed the Grandslam for Trout, Smallmouth, Largesmoth and striper on the lures...http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/cfc4edae.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/f90195fb.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/d643ea5d.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/095984f2.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/e209a2f3.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/7ebc9ce5.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/0607414f.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/72fc6397.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/f16be489.jpghttp://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/7d8a420e.jpg
We spent most of our time throwing cranks and toward the end we setup and soaked some dines for striper, we got them going in around 40 feet of water, Aarron got his first Striper and drew some blood.
So the boys completed the task, Aarron got to fish, caught his own fish, Dave got jackpot largemouth and his Grandslam, and we got enough striper and trout for the guys to take home and make taco's for the house.http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr349/sddave50/02b20b60.jpg

christainmetalhead909
06-05-2011, 12:11 PM
nice man thats awesome!!

david4u18
06-05-2011, 03:38 PM
OK, so here it is from the horses mouth.... when your from the fishing capital of the world you know at anytime, any place in florida your gonna catch atleast on fish. when i scheduled the trip i was hoping it would be worth it. We got out on the lake at about 6am. I honestly was determined to bring in the gold. in florida we catch only peacock and largemouth bass. when Dave H told me that i had on a small mouth my eyes lite up. he was surprised to hear that coming from a real fisherman. he said today were gonna try and get you a grandslam. after catching about four or five small mouth, the large mouth began to hit. just then bam a trout hit the bait. i was very excited. i didnt know if we would get the stripper on. so that went one for about 3 hours. then we moved to another spot and what do you know. stripper after stripper hit the lure. it was offical that i had accomplished the grandslam.

the bite was on steady i dont think 30 mins had gone by without anything. I loved daves boat. Everything was there that i wanted. I know how people are about when it comes to TOOLS and FISHING EQUIPMENT. dave even let me guide the boat around on the trolling motor when he was busy un hooking a bait. I dont think i took one break. I know dave could see that i knew what i was doing. I been fishing since i was 3 years old. its something in me that i was born with. Dave had alot of tips for me but never said cast there, or do it this way, or real faster. dave was the kind of guide i want when i go fishing. Dave gave me a bargin price on the guide service. i also could open up to dave and tell him why i had to leave florida. he supported me in what i was doing with my life. basically the trip didnt have any silenced moments. I could see that dave loved seeing kids fishing and staying outta trouble. he even let us stay a little longer to make sure we enjoyed the trip. overall we got about 20 fish in 6 hours.

This trip meant so much to me. i miss having a ponded stocked with 5LBS in it in my own yard. i live in pasadena and there no good lakes around here. This was my first trip out here and definetly will not be my last. hopefully he will do a buy 5 get one free or half off becuase i will be going every chance I can.

fish-o-haulic
06-05-2011, 04:48 PM
OK, so here it is from the horses mouth.... when your from the fishing capital of the world you know at anytime, any place in florida your gonna catch atleast on fish. when i scheduled the trip i was hoping it would be worth it. We got out on the lake at about 6am. I honestly was determined to bring in the gold. in florida we catch only peacock and largemouth bass. when Dave H told me that i had on a small mouth my eyes lite up. he was surprised to hear that coming from a real fisherman. he said today were gonna try and get you a grandslam. after catching about four or five small mouth, the large mouth began to hit. just then bam a trout hit the bait. i was very excited. i didnt know if we would get the stripper on. so that went one for about 3 hours. then we moved to another spot and what do you know. stripper after stripper hit the lure. it was offical that i had accomplished the grandslam.

the bite was on steady i dont think 30 mins had gone by without anything. I loved daves boat. Everything was there that i wanted. I know how people are about when it comes to TOOLS and FISHING EQUIPMENT. dave even let me guide the boat around on the trolling motor when he was busy un hooking a bait. I dont think i took one break. I know dave could see that i knew what i was doing. I been fishing since i was 3 years old. its something in me that i was born with. Dave had alot of tips for me but never said cast there, or do it this way, or real faster. dave was the kind of guide i want when i go fishing. Dave gave me a bargin price on the guide service. i also could open up to dave and tell him why i had to leave florida. he supported me in what i was doing with my life. basically the trip didnt have any silenced moments. I could see that dave loved seeing kids fishing and staying outta trouble. he even let us stay a little longer to make sure we enjoyed the trip. overall we got about 20 fish in 6 hours.

This trip meant so much to me. i miss having a ponded stocked with 5LBS in it in my own yard. i live in pasadena and there no good lakes around here. This was my first trip out here and definetly will not be my last. hopefully he will do a buy 5 get one free or half off becuase i will be going every chance I can.

if youve never caught striper before im sure that was an experience. Ive been striper fishing my whole life as a fisherman, and man i love it when Lmb fisherman decide to mingle with stripers for there first time. the reaction they give is priceless. because there like ive never experienced this before. nice job dave, are stripers only hitting by boat or are shore fisherman doing well to. I now know someone with a boat that will take me fishing on it sometimes, but im not sure if i will be going on a boat next time.

david4u18
06-05-2011, 04:53 PM
if youve never caught striper before im sure that was an experience. Ive been striper fishing my whole life as a fisherman, and man i love it when Lmb fisherman decide to mingle with stripers for there first time. the reaction they give is priceless. because there like ive never experienced this before. nice job dave, are stripers only hitting by boat or are shore fisherman doing well to. I now know someone with a boat that will take me fishing on it sometimes, but im not sure if i will be going on a boat next time.

if i were you take advantage of being in a boat.... they were pretty shallow this time but alway go for a boat cuz its a stright shot down... and they can sometimes be in 200ft of water

fish-o-haulic
06-05-2011, 06:40 PM
if i were you take advantage of being in a boat.... they were pretty shallow this time but alway go for a boat cuz its a stright shot down... and they can sometimes be in 200ft of water

I know how deep they can be. Its just im not sure if i can be in the boat. ive caught plenty of fish from shore, but i havent fished this lake in about 3 years and people arent catching off shore as much as they used to. and fishing pyramid from shore never was a good thing to begin with. my uncle back in the 90s though when the striper population blew up in california and every lake had 20 30 40lb stripers, he caught several 20lbers out of this lake from land and boat. i caught a 30lb striper from land and a 10lb catfish.

SDDave
06-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Great time David, your mad skills made my work easy, and make me look good, thanks again for using my guide services, fishing will only get better as the year rolls along, as far as five trips and the sixs free.... you know I love to barter..
I hope Aarron had fun, we got to get him back out and get him on a wide open striper bite like Desmond and I got into the next day, I still need to get some striper blood on him.
I'll keep you informed when there on the chew again and we can get back out there.
And keep up with the good work at your job and if you ever need to talk, call me, Your Friend, Dave

SDDave
06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
if youve never caught striper before I'm sure that was an experience. Ive been striper fishing my whole life as a fisherman, and man i love it when Lmb fisherman decide to mingle with striper's for there first time. the reaction they give is priceless. because there like ive never experienced this before. nice job dave, are stripers only hitting by boat or are shore fisherman doing well to. I now know someone with a boat that will take me fishing on it sometimes, but im not sure if i will be going on a boat next time.
Fish... thank you, to add to what you and David are talking about, whether from a boat or from shore, it's all about time spent on the water, if your not there your not catching, I fish frome shore alot up at Castaic, after trout plants i like to walk the dam and throw plugs, boats can't get to that area any more.
I've caught fish that if I wasn't in my boat i never would have landed the fish, I was back in the ski arm and was fishing bass with a light weight rod and six pound test, I saw some striper come up fifty yards away so I hurriedly reeled in the splitshot rod and all of a sudden the rods start to load up and get real heavy, big fish, little did I know that after talking me half way around the back of elderberry canyon and having to chase it with the trolling motor on full speed whe I finally got it along side the boat and with no net out I reach down and lipped it, the hook fell right out of it's mouth, later i weighed it at the rental trailer and It went 16.9...
Striped bass
But enough for the back in the days.
From what I've seen and the few people I've talked to, the shore guys who walk the trails to get to the mid channel areas of the lake are catching fish, I talked to two guys right by the swim beach and they got limits use nightcrawers in real shallow water.
Like Dave said, I'm always willing to work with people who want to fish, I can't do it for free and have my price I have to get just to roll out the door, but I'm always willing to barter about price.
As the year rolls along, the evening runs for the last couple hours of the day the striper's will be boiling all over the lake and i can go out for a couple hours and catch 40 fish on top water and jerk baits and get 4 guys in the boat and that can break down the costs.
It's just right now Slowtaic is not the place to be doing trips until the bite picks up...
Anyway good fishing and tight lines... Dave

fish-o-haulic
06-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Fish... thank you, to add to what you and David are talking about, whether from a boat or from shore, it's all about time spent on the water, if your not there your not catching, I fish frome shore alot up at Castaic, after trout plants i like to walk the dam and throw plugs, boats can't get to that area any more.
I've caught fish that if I wasn't in my boat i never would have landed the fish, I was back in the ski arm and was fishing bass with a light weight rod and six pound test, I saw some striper come up fifty yards away so I hurriedly reeled in the splitshot rod and all of a sudden the rods start to load up and get real heavy, big fish, little did I know that after talking me half way around the back of elderberry canyon and having to chase it with the trolling motor on full speed whe I finally got it along side the boat and with no net out I reach down and lipped it, the hook fell right out of it's mouth, later i weighed it at the rental trailer and It went 16.9...
Striped bass
But enough for the back in the days.
From what I've seen and the few people I've talked to, the shore guys who walk the trails to get to the mid channel areas of the lake are catching fish, I talked to two guys right by the swim beach and they got limits use nightcrawers in real shallow water.
Like Dave said, I'm always willing to work with people who want to fish, I can't do it for free and have my price I have to get just to roll out the door, but I'm always willing to barter about price.
As the year rolls along, the evening runs for the last couple hours of the day the striper's will be boiling all over the lake and i can go out for a couple hours and catch 40 fish on top water and jerk baits and get 4 guys in the boat and that can break down the costs.
It's just right now Slowtaic is not the place to be doing trips until the bite picks up...
Anyway good fishing and tight lines... Dave

There was a thread on the castaic section where a guy(dont remember his name) just caught a load of striper. I asked if it was just a good day or if the fishing had really picked back up. I dont think i got answered yet but ill check. anyway thanks for the report dave, if i find myself skunked several times in a row ill probably hit you up.

david4u18
06-06-2011, 12:38 AM
@ dave.... if it ever gets slow let me know ill be the first to fill in the gap.... next trip will probably be in this month... gotta get sum cash togther... but if you ever want to go out yourself and want someone to fill up the tank for you... im that guy.