PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 6/4/11... A Kitty, Two Nice Stripey and My First Try at Filleting

MustHuntAndFish
06-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Got to the lake and was on the water just before 2 o'clock. Headed straight to EC to hit a couple spots in search of Mr Stripey. The first thing I noticed was that all the striper slayers must be going to the Mid cuz I only saw one other boat that wasn't Skiing or chasing LMB and it stayed that way all afternoon.

Sat on the 1st spot for 25 min for no love and only a couple marks on the graph the whole time. Same for the second spot until I decided to reel up and move. My wife is reeling in and I'm helping my son when my pole gets hit.... Had a good little fight and bring up a nice, healthy looking little cat. He was released so he can grow and be caught again!

After no other action I decided to make the trek over to the bouy line. I didn't see even one other boat come and fish the BL all afternoon.:Shocked:

Anyway... I set the anchor and help my son get his line out. Then I bait up and cast when I realize the anchor didn't hold and we are drifting into the bouy line:mad: But before I can do anything about it my son yells.... "Got one!" It was a good fight for a six year old but he managed to beat Mr Stripey into submission. Very nice grade of fish though!

So I then get my boat off of the bouy line and anchor in 85 feet of water and fished the rest of the afternoon. Farmed a couple, constantly got bit by what must have been micro dinks that wouldn't take the bait and then finally landed one more piggy!

That was it... Castaic is still slow but we beat the skunk! Here's some pics of both feesh! I'm guessing they were 4 - 5 lbs but I'm not a good judge.:Wink:

When I got home I decided to put the new fillet knife that my wife bought me to use! My first ever attempt to fillet any fish of any kind.
30919 30920
30921 30922

speedyx14
06-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Nice job dodging the skunk.Not bad for your first fillet... the more you do it the better you get. I find it to be pretty fun :)

koifish
06-05-2011, 09:17 AM
thanks for report

fish-o-haulic
06-05-2011, 04:42 PM
they are all at pyramid, castaic has been tough. nice job

MustHuntAndFish
06-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Nice job dodging the skunk.Not bad for your first fillet... the more you do it the better you get. I find it to be pretty fun :)

Good or bad.... I butchered that fish! Lol. And it was actually fun to do. I need some other tools so that I'm not filleting on butcher paper on top of my picnic table.:LOL:

MustHuntAndFish
06-06-2011, 12:15 AM
they are all at pyramid, castaic has been tough. nice job

Yeah... Pyramid has been a lot better the last couple months. I hit Castaic cuz the wife and kids wanted to go there and I was hoping to be the one to report that the bite had turned on. It didn't happen for me but I definitely caught a better grade of fish than what I got at the Mid a few weeks ago.

According to another report... It looks like "The One Other Boat" that I saw chasing striper was sitting on the active fish. They did much better than I did. So hopefully the hot bite is really close to poppin off!

fish-o-haulic
06-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Yeah... Pyramid has been a lot better the last couple months. I hit Castaic cuz the wife and kids wanted to go there and I was hoping to be the one to report that the bite had turned on. It didn't happen for me but I definitely caught a better grade of fish than what I got at the Mid a few weeks ago.

According to another report... It looks like "The One Other Boat" that I saw chasing striper was sitting on the active fish. They did much better than I did. So hopefully the hot bite is really close to poppin off!

it should be close.

KID-FISH
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Nice stripers, good job on getting on some fish. How deep were you metering fish and how was the wind? Thanks for the report, way to beat the skunk.

KF

MustHuntAndFish
06-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Nice stripers, good job on getting on some fish. How deep were you metering fish and how was the wind? Thanks for the report, way to beat the skunk.

The fish were deep.... I anchored in 85 feet of water. Drifted over 100 plus feet at times and the majority of the marks were on bottom. Water temp was between 64 and 67 degrees at different spots on the lake. Had a medium wind with a few gusts during my first hour or so but it faded to just a nice breeze and then no wind at all about 5:30... We left at 7.

fishfinder
06-06-2011, 07:04 PM
i have got really lazy over the years and use nothing but an electric fillet knife. dont even know if i can fillet without it.

fish-o-haulic
06-06-2011, 07:08 PM
i have got really lazy over the years and use nothing but an electric fillet knife. dont even know if i can fillet without it.

At least youve been filleting. I can count on one hand how many times ive gone fishing over the past year and a half. Not too complain, or anything. And ive only caugt like 1 fish out of all those trips. And it was a trout so i gave it away to my grandparents, they love fish. Its funny how people all around you can catch fish and you will only get one nibble if that. guess thats why its called fishing not catching.

fishfinder
06-06-2011, 07:13 PM
At least youve been filleting. I can count on one hand how many times ive gone fishing over the past year and a half. Not too complain, or anything. And ive only caugt like 1 fish out of all those trips. And it was a trout so i gave it away to my grandparents, they love fish. Its funny how people all around you can catch fish and you will only get one nibble if that. guess thats why its called fishing not catching.

I haven't had my boat out in a year. just float tube for crappie lately. gonna try and get out a week from friday.

fish-o-haulic
06-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I haven't had my boat out in a year. just float tube for crappie lately. gonna try and get out a week from friday.

Ive been trying to get out but then something new pops up. I realisticly probably wont be out till end of this month.

seal
06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Can't tell for sure but looks like the blood lines are still in your fillet's, make sure and cut um out, small V incision along both sides then pull out, easy but like I said you may have already done it I can't tell for sure.

Good job on the fillet's, ENJOY!

MustHuntAndFish
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Can't tell for sure but looks like the blood lines are still in your fillet's, make sure and cut um out, small V incision along both sides then pull out, easy but like I said you may have already done it I can't tell for sure.

Thanks for the tip Seal... I cleaned the meat up really well. Got out any skin/bones and made some smaller chunks but didn't specifically remove the blood lines. Guess now I know for next time.... Will it effect the taste of the fish?

seal
06-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Will it effect the taste of the fish?

Most would say yes.