PDA

View Full Version : CRACK addicts and innocent victims , 2 June

efishent
06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Had my surf gear in the car and by the time I got off work it cooked on the sun and smelled 'like the ocean' I was about to walk into. Upon arrival to state beaches north of town, as expected, there was nice soup with veggies on a medium –boil. Too much to rake with LC, so on goes the crack. Even that got loaded with weeds at the end of each cast. Water was a couple degrees warmer compared to the freezing post –wind temps we just had, mild breeze, no visibility, no tide movement.

I was going to go to a standard SP spot but stopped at the Sharky place first, hoping to explore it with camo while avoiding dragging out guitars/shovels. The sharks and rays were there: neither they nor I could see but I slipped on few moving bumps on the bottom.

10 min into it I got a big hit – runs somewhat like a perch but then pulls drag like a smaller shovel, brought to the surface, saw yellow sides- what?- a PB of the new species, hooked in the fin!

Next cast – got slammed instantly – this one got stuck behind the rock but did get out and ashore comes the DD crack addict. Next cast – snagged the rock for sure but a piece of it breaks off and I reel it in – it’s alive - and fits in the palm of my hand – soft and cuddly – another by-stander hooked by Eagle Claw on the side. The next cast was a rock for sure that took my set up, oh, well moving on to the standard SP spot.

It was steady pick there but all under 10” and not photogenic, but another brief stop yielded a walleye (not pictured since it was about to deliver and didn’t feel like posing). It was surely a refreshing outing with 4 species and couple new surf additions to the list.
Looks like the conditions are gradually improving and may settle by weekend.
Have fun out there!

exfactor
06-02-2011, 11:46 PM
What is sp? Do u mean sc?

smokehound
06-02-2011, 11:47 PM
rubberlip surfperch.

murrieta angler
06-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Nice assortment of fish "E".
I am waiting till the water gets up to 60 then I will be heading North...:Wink:
Take It Easy,
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
06-03-2011, 07:26 AM
I knew we should of turned south instead of going north, but the intel I had showed clear water north.

Congrats

Jaysuuun
06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Nice Rubberlip! My favorite perch of all. Where can they be caught around here?

kzhlin
06-03-2011, 09:53 PM
what is this "crack"? i keep hearing about it, but i have no clue what it is!

Jaysuuun
06-03-2011, 11:14 PM
what is this "crack"? i keep hearing about it, but i have no clue what it is!

LOL It's Gulp Camo Sandworm. It's suppose to be like "crack" to a crackhead, except to a fish and not a crackhead. :LOL:

Wingnut
06-03-2011, 11:55 PM
I only caught a couple of Rubberlip Perch, but I think they're the best fighting Perch out there. Always nice to check off a new species off your list. :Big Grin:
Thanks for the report! :Cool:

cooks hooks
06-04-2011, 11:06 AM
What kind on rig set up do you guys use for surf fishing. Do u use just a basic Carolina rig. Also what size hooks are recomended.

efishent
06-04-2011, 01:20 PM
When I saw a glimpse of it I thought "who dumped this chuncky carp in here?" It was an area with medium size, round, algae covered boulders, light 'secondary' surf and I was bouncing the egg sinker with the camo on Eagle claw on them.