PDA

View Full Version : Braid Problems!

boxl0bster
06-02-2011, 07:55 PM
so i've decided to try braid out on my baitcasters and im having a hell of a time spooling it on correctly. i know you're supposed to spool it on tight but how tight? i thought i was spooling it on pretty damn tight but it still dug into itself towards the end. also the braid wouldnt spool on evenly. the right side of the spool always has more line than the left. what the heck am i doing wrong?! im about to toss this stuff and go back to mono/flouro....im using power pro 30# thanks!

Skyler
06-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I love braid on my spinning rods. I never use the stuff on my baitcasters though. Digs into itself and causes casting problems. It did spool on evenly for me, but the birds nests were irreparable. No coming back from those knots. I got sick of it real quick and transfered it onto my Diawa spinning reel. Good riddance...

Rubble
06-02-2011, 08:48 PM
It needs to be PRETTY DARN tight.......,I put the line through the middle of a good-sized book on the floor while I'm spooling up and STILL add pressure with my index finger/thumb........
And my Curado 300ej loads up a little on the right side also,doesn't seem to effect casting & I don't like to overload the reel anyway.

vince champion
06-02-2011, 09:06 PM
The more you use it the better it gets. The latex or whatever that sticky residue on the outer layer slowly comes off the more you use it, and it act more like a regular line. Thats w/ my experience at least, or youll eventually get use to it. haha

klocked
06-02-2011, 09:10 PM
After losing 2 LC's in two trips because my line dug into itself and snapped off the lc's, here is what I did to remedy the problem....

I went to the beach, found the closest lifeguard tower, tied my line to it, walked the line out until I got to the bottom of the spool, cranked down my drag, reeled the line back in with as much pressure as I dared.

No more digging in!! I've done this with both 20lb and 30lb power pro.
Birds nests seem to be more managable also after doing this.

I also wet my spool with fresh water before fishing.

AngryAgent
06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Bring it in to the Longfin, I work on Sunday and I'll spool it on for you the right way.

Nessie Hunter
06-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I dont know if its just me or the Braid.... But I had lots of trouble with it. (under 50#)
No matter how tight it was, after a couple of casts it fluffs up and gets very loose...
There ya go, BAM knot on the cast & break off (if its a heavy bait)..
Or worse thing was the knot & heavy bait pulled the rod right out of my hands!!!
I was lucky, but could have easily lost both Rod & reel.
Grabbed it just as it went underwater!!!! No more braid for me on any casting set up. Period!!!

I do use it on my Saltwater rigs........ Works great....

.:LOLLY:.
06-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Before you spool the line you have to wrap the line a few times around the shaft then put a little tape over it for extra security. If not, the entire spool of line will slip on the spool and cause it to "fluff".

vanillagurilla
06-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah I actualy tie on about 10-20yds of mono b4 I spool the braid on.

P.A.W.
06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I just let my Sports Chalet load it on. I noticed the same thing as Vince Champion re: the coating. I have both 15# and 30# on a Revo sx and an Ambassadeur and both give me no trouble.

boxl0bster
06-07-2011, 04:08 PM
thanks for all the help guys. i tried klocked's method and i think i got it on tight enough.:Cool:

boxl0bster
06-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Bring it in to the Longfin, I work on Sunday and I'll spool it on for you the right way.

thanks AA for the offer, i would have come down if the longfin wasnt so far. ill keep that in mind next time im in the area or fishing the vine.

I dont know if its just me or the Braid.... But I had lots of trouble with it. (under 50#)
No matter how tight it was, after a couple of casts it fluffs up and gets very loose...
There ya go, BAM knot on the cast & break off (if its a heavy bait)..
Or worse thing was the knot & heavy bait pulled the rod right out of my hands!!!
I was lucky, but could have easily lost both Rod & reel.
Grabbed it just as it went underwater!!!! No more braid for me on any casting set up. Period!!!

I do use it on my Saltwater rigs........ Works great....

thats hillarious i can totally picture my rod ripping out of my hands too. good thing it didnt! thanks for the tips!