PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware

TINMAN13
06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
NEVER BUY A BOAT WITHOUT TITLE!!!!!!

Bill of sale only - IS BS!!!!

YOU WONT BE ABLE TO REGISTER THE BOAT WITHOUT TITLE!!!!!

TINMAN13
06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
I have a boat that goes 5 deep with no title holder @#%$!

vanillagurilla
06-01-2011, 03:39 PM
so file for lost title, or if you know who sold it to you, you can write up a bill of sale and if its notorized its valid i believe.

TINMAN13
06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! You have to be the owner to file for lost title....... GET A TITLE NOT JUST A BILL OF SALE!!!!!

P.S. i have a boat trailer and Boat with no papers for $500.00 bill of sale only ;)

Which Way Out
06-01-2011, 05:36 PM
If you are a member of AAA they are the best at DMV stuff. Not sure if they can help but I know it can be done.
I know of another person that had a similar issue and it took 3+ months but they got it done.

Does it have serial numbers on it? If not then maybe you can reg. it as a home built and have new numbers stamped into it.
Good luck

viperman100
06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Can you have DMV run the vessel id number and see if they can come up with an owner, and if not just place a lein on it and then in a months time the title is yours with a new vin to go with it? Just a thought, I've never tried or heard of someone doing this.

laserbrn
06-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I've done this. It's not that complicated. You can file for a duplicate title and you will have to ATTEMPT to contact the original owner by mail to have them file for an original title. In my case the original owner had left the country. I sent mail certified mail and took the returned mail with me to the DMV and they accepted it.

TINMAN13
06-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I've done this. It's not that complicated. You can file for a duplicate title and you will have to ATTEMPT to contact the original owner by mail to have them file for an original title. In my case the original owner had left the country. I sent mail certified mail and took the returned mail with me to the DMV and they accepted it.

ok i will try this tomorrow

DockRat
06-03-2011, 07:00 AM

Bill of sale only - IS BS!!!!

YOU WONT BE ABLE TO REGISTER THE BOAT WITHOUT TITLE!!!!!

I'm calling BS. You can even build a boat from scratch and register it.

You have to be carefull what you tell the DMV. Sometimes too much info can really complicate the issue when you have multiple bill of sales without registrations.
If it has fallen out of the computor it can be easy unless you buy them with too many stories and paper.

1st question is. Is it in the system (computor) ? How many years expired ?

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/Gregstoll80/Brockway%20Build/CIMG0191-30.jpg

TINMAN13
06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Instructions:
1) Send certified letter to legal registered owner.
2) Wait for letter to return.
3) pay back fees $150
4) Go fishing!!!!!

FadedOne
06-03-2011, 06:57 PM
For what its worth I just registered a 12 ft aluminum with no bill of sale or pink slip. I filed out the form online, went in the dmv, sat in line for an hour, then explained to the lady this is all I had. I did have the az tag number from when It was last registered and vin, but nothing else. Maybe I got lucky

fishfinder
06-06-2011, 07:10 PM
For what its worth I just registered a 12 ft aluminum with no bill of sale or pink slip. I filed out the form online, went in the dmv, sat in line for an hour, then explained to the lady this is all I had. I did have the az tag number from when It was last registered and vin, but nothing else. Maybe I got lucky

i did the same thing with a 14' boat. sometimes ya gotta shmooze them a little.

TINMAN13
07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Instructions:
1) Send certified letter to legal registered owner.
2) Wait for letter to return.
3) pay back fees $150
4) Go fishing!!!!!

UPDATE: BOAT WAS STOLEN THE DMV LET ME PAY FEES Gave me the owners address to send a letter & paper work to sign..... haha jokes on me
$300 for boat & trailer
$52 DMV fees

TheAsianGuy
07-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Dude, sorry to hear such a freaking hassle. However, stolen vessel get fully reimbursed if the owner has good insurance. If not, at least work with the owner to get back a the guy that stole the boat. It's all about the Good Samaritan codes of ethics. The Good Lord will bless ya.

Cangler
07-14-2011, 01:43 PM
You bought for it 10% of its price on CL ?

TINMAN13
07-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Dude, sorry to hear such a freaking hassle. However, stolen vessel get fully reimbursed if the owner has good insurance. If not, at least work with the owner to get back a the guy that stole the boat. It's all about the Good Samaritan codes of ethics. The Good Lord will bless ya.

I have made contact with the boat owner he offered to give me what I paid for it..... I just want to make sure others don't make the same mistake I did..... "GET THE TITLE."