PDA

View Full Version : Perris is burning

tacklejunkie
06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Drove by Perris today on my way to LA. Hills are burning. Pics in a few..

tacklejunkie
06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Doh,
Looks like they are doing it on purpose to eliminate threat in the future.
Crazy!

TheAsianGuy
06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
It's been foretold various times throughout the 2009 and 2010 by various agencies. We have large downpours of rain for the past few seasons. Plants grew like crazy, then dried up during late spring to early summer. Plenty of fuel for the idiots that like to light things up, smokers that like to toss cigarettes out the door, or campers that don't take their camp fires seriously. I had to deal a brush fire while inspecting early last week because some dimwits like to toss their cigarette butts out the door, rather than using the ash tray in their vehicles. While the fire was burning, multiple dimwits continually tossing out the lit butts out the door, with the wind blowing towards me, right into the dry brushes. The firemen, cops, and I were staring at each other dumbfounded. We couldn't give chase because we were more worried about the fire entering into the private properties. Those people deserved to be on the Darwin's list of extinctive species.

Ifishtoolittle
06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Doh,
Looks like they are doing it on purpose to eliminate threat in the future.
Crazy!

I think a good solution would be to have some flora surrounding Perris that is able to hold mass amounts of water. This way the spread of fire would be much more difficult.

tacklejunkie
06-01-2011, 12:10 PM
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/reptilemantis/IMG_1391.jpg

TheAsianGuy
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
A bit late for a control fire by Perris..wouldn't it? It's always good to do a control fire during the mid spring time, and not allow the plants to be completely dry with full fuel load during dry seasons. this way, not much water is used to suppress possible run-away fire patches. But with holidays all over place, who knows if they have the proper budgets for anything.

ISEEKHUNT
06-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Prescribed Burn to Take Place at Lake Perris State Recreation Area
Add Feedback Share |

California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) in cooperation with California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection On Wednesday, June 1, 2011, CAL FIRE, in cooperation with California Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) will be conducting a prescribed burn at Lake Perris State Recreation Area. This schedule date of the prescribed burn will be dictated by weather conditions. A total 250 acres of grassland will be burned. Smoke will be visible from nearby communities but will disperse quickly and is not expected to be a health hazard.

This exercise will not impact visitor use of Lake Perris State Recreation Area except in the immediate area of the burning operation; the Park, lake and campgrounds will remain open.

This project is aimed at restoring native grass and forb habitats as well as reducing the hazard posed by flammable vegetation. In addition to the ecological and hazard reduction benefits, this prescribe burn will provide firefighters with valuable wildland fire training.

Firefighting resources from DPR and CAL FIRE will be assigned to the operation the day of the burn.

The briefing for personnel involved in this project will commence at 7:00 am followed by firing operations around 8:00 to 9:00 am weather permitting.

Please contact the Lake Perris State Recreation Office at (951) 940-5600 with any questions.

laserbrn
06-02-2011, 05:47 AM
A bit late for a control fire by Perris..wouldn't it? It's always good to do a control fire during the mid spring time, and not allow the plants to be completely dry with full fuel load during dry seasons. this way, not much water is used to suppress possible run-away fire patches. But with holidays all over place, who knows if they have the proper budgets for anything.==

I agree that usually this would be too late in the year. Controlled burns in June would usually be a bit risky and use more resources than earlier in the spring. However, this has been a really wet year and the temperatures have stayed down so I'd be willing to bet there isn't as much dry fuel up there as you would expect. And boy do I hate hearing about budget problems when it comes to fire and police.

I hate hearing figures like it cost $4 million to fight this fire. That's a heck of a lot of gas they are claiming to have burned because we pay firefighters whether they fight fires or not. So it cost $4 million to fight the fire, but it would have cost $3.5 million if there wasn't a fire?

How could there not be enough budget to have firefighters go light hills on fire and perform a controlled burn? Does it cost more to have firefighters out working instead of sitting in the firehouse?