PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Fishing Systems

jamesek9
05-31-2011, 03:16 PM
anyone tried the butterfly, lucanus, or waxwing shimano fishing systems?

I'm usually the one to always use live or cut bait, but looking for something new.

Butterfly - My wife decided that since I like fishing, she can give me anything fishing related and I would love it. So she bought me some butterfly jigs. Problem is that I dont own a trevala or any of the high speed reels. Are the specified equipment really needed, or am ok with a trevala s medium heavy paired with a thunnus 6000ci4? I think the stella SW is just too expensive for me

Lucanus - what 5000, 6000, or 8000 spinning reel would you recommend?

Waxwing - whats the common setup for fishing catalina/off coast of california?

KILLA
05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Check out the waxwing on youtube, some good information in the vids

DarkShadow
05-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah, the Shimano website also has some good information.

I'd point you to their site, but it apparently is down for maintenance.

Now, on a side note, does anybody else feel that Shimano is going full on How Much Money We Can Make From Our Loyal Customers?

Every 6 months, they're releasing a 'new and shinier' model of a reel. Pretty soon we're gonna have the Stella 1000 FZ by the end of December and the Curado 100Z with an enhanced price tag as well.

They hit the jackpot with these "fishing systems." The "you need to use specific Shimano rods and reels specified for these techniques, and if you use any other manufacturer's rods and reels, you will not be able to fish the 'system' correctly."

Effin brilliant.

vanillagurilla
05-31-2011, 04:47 PM
not realy shadow seeing as how expensive the **** is lol, any smart guy would know that with a streight line technique use with the wax wing can be done with almoast any rod, no need for a high speed reel or a special rod. Seeing as the rod has nothing to do with the action since you point your tip streight at the bait id say any 15-25lb rod will work, i use a custom st.croix 12-25lb rod with a corvalus 400 or u could us a curado 300.

Ifishtoolittle
05-31-2011, 08:29 PM
To be honest, one can fish all three rigs with a curado 300, 40-50lb spectra, and a 8' rod with a long handle rated for 12-25lb.

jamesek9
06-03-2011, 08:41 PM
thanks for the replies, it really puts things into perspective.

I guess if one was really a "shimano whore," he/she would just buy exactly what was spec'd out.

fishhb
06-05-2011, 09:56 AM
crank the waxwings like hell and tie them strait to braid