PDA

View Full Version : Castaic upper 05-29

KID-FISH
05-31-2011, 02:55 PM
I hit Castaic with my bro and cousin this passed Sunday, knowing it was going to be windy and just wanting to see what the lake looked like since I hadn't been to the upper lake in a long time. Saw the water level was really high and yes, the wind was strong that day. Anyway, we decided to fish the dam, since most of the area near the marina is now under water, kind of cool to see actually. Noticed a few fishermen on the dam were just passed the sign and a couple others closer to the towers. We set up
and cast out, can't get too far out with the wind, but far enough. About 5 minutes later, I get a little hit
and snap my rod upward...good hookset and the fish takes off! I was fishing my 7.5 foot ultra light,
with 6 pound test and I knew I was in trouble. I could feel it was a big fish and all I could do was
let it run. Tried using my hand on the spool for extra tension and that seemed to work, so I started working it back towards the dam. Then it takes off again and this time I get too anxious and put more tension on it....big mistake. The line snaps and the fish is long gone...my cousin and brother look at me because they were telling me to ease off a bit, but I'm a little rusty and got caught up in the moment...shiat! No bites after that, but I did see a guy walking back with a plastic bag and about three nice stripers in it. I think he was coming back from the spot close to the towers and they looked to be between 3 and 5 pounds a piece.
We got there around 8:45 and left around 11:30 to fish the lower lagoon. Nothing going on down there either. So, big skunk for me, but there seems to be signs of life over there...maybe the stripes are
getting eager? BTW, the fish I had on was probably 20 - 25 pounds:LOL:!!!

Good luck out there.

KID-FISH

fish-o-haulic
05-31-2011, 03:24 PM
personally i dont fish striper with that light of tackle. i use medium heavy rods with nothing under 12 lbs. and even then ive had plenty of striper break me with 12lb test. anyway sorry about the skunk. but you have at least something to daydream at home about lol. a 20lb striper bit your line. as far as getting caught up in the moment and losing him. i know just what you mean ive had it happen to me plenty of times unfortunately. but you handled the situation better than i would have. had it been me i wouldve even had the chance to let it run becuase the line wouldve been broken already. next time maybe you can come back with heavier tackle and show that fish whats what. haha lol. good job at least hooking a monster like that though.

vanillagurilla
05-31-2011, 03:48 PM
i want to see what i can do on my 2lb rig :).

KID-FISH
05-31-2011, 04:09 PM
personally i dont fish striper with that light of tackle. i use medium heavy rods with nothing under 12 lbs. and even then ive had plenty of striper break me with 12lb test. anyway sorry about the skunk. but you have at least something to daydream at home about lol. a 20lb striper bit your line. as far as getting caught up in the moment and losing him. i know just what you mean ive had it happen to me plenty of times unfortunately. but you handled the situation better than i would have. had it been me i wouldve even had the chance to let it run becuase the line wouldve been broken already. next time maybe you can come back with heavier tackle and show that fish whats what. haha lol. good job at least hooking a monster like that though.

Ha-ha...I gave my bro the rod with the 12 lb test, he's usually luckier than I am. I just didn't think I was going to get bit with all the wind...lesson learned.

KID-FISH
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM

LOL...probably lose the fish on the hookset! J/K

Bassranger
05-31-2011, 04:55 PM
That was a rough day, was out there with brand new boat of maybe a half dozen boats braving the lake that day. Maiden voyage turned into the SS Minnow :) lifeguards moving out at the approach of each boat to help them in against the surges.

No luck on fishing, tried a couple spots, but the boat would get quickly pushed out of position by the wind and chop and need attention. Went home and watched some bass shows and envied the glasslike lakes they fish from on their bass boats lol. Looking forward to those conditions!

fish-o-haulic
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM

get it broken

fishindude420
05-31-2011, 07:08 PM
2lb test works wonders!. a few years ago me, my bro, and my dad all went out to castaic buoy line for some striper bait n wait fishing. We brought 2 lb test and nightcrawlers just to try out for fun and we ended up limiting out quick with a couple of kickers in the mix!!Everyone was looking at us like "wtf" lol. I think i only broke off on 1 fish. almost every fish was mouth hooked that helped alot. And i got lucky and didnt run into a giant :) lol

Hitts0n
05-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I think pulling fish upward,rather than left to right makes a difference on a 2lb test.DO NOT go out there with 2 lb test lines folks.You will get 0wned !
Those towers hold lots of fish for some reason............Will have to hit thats pot soon.
Last time I got owned left n right at the towers.Had them cheap 4ss eagle claw hooks like 4 years ago....
Skillz has upgraded since then.I found some real sharp pink hooks by the pump house...LMAO!:ROFL:

koifish
05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for report. Will try to go there this Thursday. Have not been there for a while.

fishindude420
05-31-2011, 08:57 PM
I think pulling fish upward,rather than left to right makes a difference on a 2lb test.DO NOT go out there with 2 lb test lines folks.You will get 0wned !
Those towers hold lots of fish for some reason............Will have to hit thats pot soon.
Last time I got owned left n right at the towers.Had them cheap 4ss eagle claw hooks like 4 years ago....
Skillz has upgraded since then.I found some real sharp pink hooks by the pump house...LMAO!:ROFL:

You can pull it off if you got the skill :) Only very few of us have it! lol

Hitts0n
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
yes it can happen....but them teeth will slice right thru 2lb test!