PDA

View Full Version : crickets?

blackberg
05-31-2011, 11:44 AM
So may finally be able to hit Perris for some fishing, targeting the pan fish. Have not fished there in 5+ years maybe.

Seems the crickets are the hot ticket, where can I find some for sale?
I am assuming the marina will have worms and other bait.

any Perris tips are appreciated too
thanks
-bb

fish-o-haulic
05-31-2011, 12:05 PM
i know walmart sells them, dont know if anywhere where there on sale though.

ltj427
05-31-2011, 01:32 PM
the pet store is always a good place to em

tunagod1
05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
The cheapest place to buy crickets is the liquor stor on perris blvd, one block north of Ramona expressway. Crickets are best for bluegill, the redear prefer redworms. see my post in fishing tips on perris lake bluegill.

Tuna Out

fish-o-haulic
05-31-2011, 01:46 PM
see tunagod1 has the answer

TheAsianGuy
05-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Crickets are best for bluegill, the redear prefer redworms. see my post in fishing tips on perris lake bluegill.

Might want to add mealworms into the mix. Bluegills and red-ears were hitting pretty hard on them over the crickets using modified drop shot rig during the Memorial Weekends frenzy. Here's my version of the modified drop shop. I normally slap two, and at most 3, on there using mealworms for one or two hooks, and a cricket on another. I switch between the sinker or a float depending on the hours of the day. Sinkers for early morning. Float for 10am and beyond.

Ranoxic
05-31-2011, 02:12 PM
I picked mine up at Elliots for Pets in Riverside for around 20ish for a dollar. The guy just kind of shakes them into a bag, he gave me at least 70+ for 2 bucks, considering it took 70+fish and lots of farming for us to get through them on Saturday. First time I've ever used Crickets and it was totally worth it.
We also used mealworms, which is what all the big red ear hit on.

TheAsianGuy
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Hey Ranoxic, how did you hook your crickets for a quick strike? I normally hook them behind the harden area of the wings and have the hook comes out slightly away from the abdomen to prevent a quick death. I want them to twitch for about two minutes under if I can during their slow decent using a bobber and a 2 feet leader. Mealworms are not a problem for a few good minutes underwater. But crickets..sheesh, those things pretty much drown within the minute underwater or die because of the shock impacts from the hook impaled into their bodies as the rig hits the water.

blackberg
05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
thanks for the tips,

that liquor store on perris, is it passed the AMPM?
thanks
-bb

Vlkter
05-31-2011, 05:13 PM
2 months ago they had crickets at the marina store. Not sure if they are still there.

Cameron
05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
I picked mine up at Elliots for Pets in Riverside for around 20ish for a dollar. The guy just kind of shakes them into a bag, he gave me at least 70+ for 2 bucks, considering it took 70+fish and lots of farming for us to get through them on Saturday. First time I've ever used Crickets and it was totally worth it.
We also used mealworms, which is what all the big red ear hit on.

LOL I love Elliott's was my first job back in 90 & we always did a "loose" count. If ya want ur monies worth go see em in the Brockton Arcade. Wish there was a place up here to get a break on crickets.

blackberg
05-31-2011, 06:28 PM
My pops found some at a local petshop, $1 a dozen, where supposed to be sized but they are all over the place, so at least I have some in case I dont find any more over there
thanks
-bb

Sublime-Steve
05-31-2011, 07:52 PM
place on perris is best grab some live craws while ur @ it... who knows right?

Perris Bluegill Chaser
05-31-2011, 08:09 PM
thanks for the tips,

that liquor store on perris, is it passed the AMPM?
thanks
-bb

its in back of am pm

Ranoxic
05-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey Ranoxic, how did you hook your crickets for a quick strike? I normally hook them behind the harden area of the wings and have the hook comes out slightly away from the abdomen to prevent a quick death. I want them to twitch for about two minutes under if I can during their slow decent using a bobber and a 2 feet leader. Mealworms are not a problem for a few good minutes underwater. But crickets..sheesh, those things pretty much drown within the minute underwater or die because of the shock impacts from the hook impaled into their bodies as the rig hits the water.

We hooked them all manner of ways. I was mostly going right through the hard part, then out the bottom on size 10 mosquito hooks. I was rigged like a drop shot, but with two hooks coming off the main line. I'd keep using the crickets even after they died and they still got picked up. almost instantly that day.

Perris Bluegill Chaser
05-31-2011, 08:12 PM
the store on perris is cheap, i think 50 for a few dollars

NFCD I
06-01-2011, 07:07 AM
The liquor store behind the AM PM opens at 6:00AM, but he's normally open by 5:45. Two of us on Monday picked up 100 crickets for about $5.00. We were out of crickets by 10:00. I had a can of wax worms in the boat that I bought at Bass Pro for just such an emergency. We started tipping our mini jigs with them and the bite never slowed down. We kept 30 gills/redears and released probably 4 to 5 times as many befor leaving at 11:30AM. I'll replace the can we opened. They are good for 2-3 weeks once opened if refridgerated. They sat in my boat for 3 months before we opened them Monday. They also sell canned crickets. I'm going to try them as well.

fishmounter
06-01-2011, 10:10 AM
How many are in a can and what was the price?

TheAsianGuy
06-01-2011, 10:21 AM
NFCD, thanks for the tip on the cricket. We tend to run out of the crickets pretty fast. Got 350 in our arsenal of baits last time, and we pretty much went through them pretty fast, plus 300 mealworms. Those fishes were quite hungry for those critters.

Cameron
06-01-2011, 10:36 AM
U need to call Elliotts on a monday & place a order for a box 500 I think they get shipments on wed.U can also order 500 mealworms just a suggestion.

TheAsianGuy
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Cameron, I live just a few minutes away from Elliott's for Pet. They told me to come in on a Monday or Thursday, and they'll toss a box of 1000 for just $25, or a nice 500 mealworms for $15. I told the guys there, "SOLD! I'm your lifetime member at this store." and walked out the store with my dogs' stuff smiling like a kid just walked out of the candy store. But come on..1000? I can spend the entire day on the lake and can't even go through 1/3 of it on my own. There were 3 of us chucking crickets into the water with two rods each. But, if we got enough FNNers going in one wave, I have no problem grabbing that big box of crickets.

blackberg
06-01-2011, 10:53 PM
well went out today, go there late, didnt hit the water till about 1:40

asked people coming out, and they said it was dead. Talked to some others throughout the day and same thing. Dont feel bad about getting skunked, seems everyone I talked too did too.

-bb

smokehound
06-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Find wax-worms too expensive? If you're into panfishing at perris, consider breeding your own!

here's a link explaining how to breed them: http://www.reptileexpert.org/waxworms.php

If you breed your own, you can get plumper, larger waxworms.

old pudd fisher
06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Cameron, I live just a few minutes away from Elliott's for Pet. They told me to come in on a Monday or Thursday, and they'll toss a box of 1000 for just $25, or a nice 500 mealworms for $15. I told the guys there, "SOLD! I'm your lifetime member at this store." and walked out the store with my dogs' stuff smiling like a kid just walked out of the candy store. But come on..1000? I can spend the entire day on the lake and can't even go through 1/3 of it on my own. There were 3 of us chucking crickets into the water with two rods each. But, if we got enough FNNers going in one wave, I have no problem grabbing that big box of crickets. Dang! I live about three blocks away from Elliott's, thats where we buy are pet food. Thanks for the info AsianGuy.

Cameron
06-03-2011, 08:04 AM
U can get wax worms there to, Elliotts is the place for pets always has been always will be. Tell Mark I said hey dont forget seniors get 10% off & use to do it for everyone on Wed. not sure if they still do.

Wish I was down the hill miss fishing for Perris gills.

TheAsianGuy
06-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Tell Mark I said hey dont forget seniors get 10% off & use to do it for everyone on Wed. not sure if they still do.

It's 30% off every Wed, but not on pets' foods. 30% off grubs means 30% more to play with :LOL: