PDA

View Full Version : Lower Kern calm areas for lazy Kayak fishing

Coefficient13
05-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I haven't been to the Kern since I was a kid. I have a Kayak that is a sit-in Kayak and am not aiming to even see white water. I searched around and found references to calm stretches of water at the Kern that used reference points that wouldn't exist on google maps. Other than that I found manly posts about spots that "weren't really that bad".

Can anyone direct me to a stretch or two of the Kern that are calm enough to lazily fish in a way that I could get there using google maps or simple directions?

I know that's kinda asking a lot but I live a ways off and it'd hurt to spend the whole morning bite looking for a spot that didn't exist, etc. You're a pal and a half. It'll be nice to fail at fishing with some new scenery :)

I Rocha
05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
out behind hart park and lake ming

FISH ON
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
not in the canyon. its all white water.

Coefficient13
05-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks!

I'm not sure what areas are canyon, but I'll avoid the stretch next to kern canyon rd. assuming it's aptly named. Gotta pick some days during my upcoming time off to tackle some of these waters I haven't.

I can see the stretch between hart and ming on google and should be able to get right to it. Thanks for the help :)

cutbait
05-31-2011, 05:06 AM
This year really isn't the year for a "relaxed river ride"

All time record flows right now. The river will be claiming lots of lives once it gets hot.

http://www.kget.com/mostpopular/story/Kern-River-deaths-updated-to-246/gfazgmJ3mEOXtUMl1J6NoQ.cspx

Coefficient13
06-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the warning. I'm going to try to hit as many unique fishing experiences as I can during my tme off.

Think I'll be going there ready to fish but knowing that section is near 2 lakes I could fish if it looks bad, or I could fish from shore, or go rock Isabella sounds good. Pyramid may be a destination and castaic night catfishing.

I'll err on the side of safety.

Skaguy04
06-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I was a little scared when I saw the title! The river is raging! The lower is at 4,000 cfs and the upper is at 3,300 cfs. Just fish Isabella, crappie should be good, but then again, there is another chance of rain for the weekend. That might make the crappie go deeper with cooler temps.
Catfish are all over the lake and so are the trout.

... just stay out of the river...

I Rocha
06-02-2011, 09:36 PM
... just stay out of the river...

^^ good advice

FISH ON
06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
^^ good advice
very good advice