PDA

View Full Version : An unorthodox first swimbait fish. The Wood, 5-29-11...

Skyler
05-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Hit silverwood today with tacklejunkie. The goal was to stick some monster stripers or some toad bass on our swimbait setups. TJ had a sick new custom wrapped swimbait rod to break in, and I had a swimbait cherry to pop. Well, both missions accomplished. I did not, however, catch the monster jailbird I was hoping for. Instead I stuck this highly optimistic 18" holdover:
30794 30795
He inhaled a 6" storm live stocker trout all the way to the treble! Not exactly what I had in mind, but a decent catch nonetheless. Tj managed a little lmb on the dropshot. Other than a few missed bites, nothing else for the day. Anyways, have fun.

-Skyler

tacklejunkie
05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
You know how we do it!
Beer bottle style. What's a swimbait?
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/reptilemantis/IMG_1359.jpg

Boom! Congrats man. first of many CRAZY moments to come! :Wink:
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/reptilemantis/IMG_1362.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/reptilemantis/IMG_1363.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/reptilemantis/IMG_1364.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/reptilemantis/IMG_1365.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/reptilemantis/IMG_1366.jpg

christainmetalhead909
05-29-2011, 09:55 PM
wow man thats awesome!!!!! nice catch

Sublime-Steve
05-30-2011, 05:37 AM
was watching fly nation on WFN and these dudes caught a lil 6 inch trout and this HUGE trout came out and just about swallowed the lil guy.. pretty damn exciting.. I WANT A TROUT ON A SWIMBAIT NOW! lol nice fish!

seal
05-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Silverwood holdover's seem a little hungry this year. I was fishing a bed deep in a creek a week ago with a Rodent creature bait, had a decent male pecking at it and out of nowhere back in the brush a hookjaw HO came out and snagged it right in front of the LMB, one hungry trout I guess.

Way to pop the swimbait cherry, but strange way to do it. When I drove by yesterday it seemed pretty quiet for a Sunday Memorila day weekend, I stayed away this weekend anticipating chaos I guess I should have made an attempt.

teejay
05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
That’s a real nice fish. A lot of the trout that I catch are the same size as your lure.
You guys must have had Silverwood all to yourselves. As I was driving home up the 138 through wind and rain around noon on Sunday, I passed a mass exodus of people leaving the lake.

TroutOnly
05-30-2011, 05:28 PM
nice trout,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

diamondbear
05-30-2011, 06:52 PM
What a surprise , NICE FISH . And on sunday with that bad weather coming thru , You guys are diehards , ha

TheAsianGuy
05-30-2011, 06:57 PM
That is one mean treble hook that the trout swallow. That one is meant for grill with zesty lemon peppercorns.

tacklejunkie
05-31-2011, 06:42 AM
Silverwood holdover's seem a little hungry this year. I was fishing a bed deep in a creek a week ago with a Rodent creature bait, had a decent male pecking at it and out of nowhere back in the brush a hookjaw HO came out and snagged it right in front of the LMB, one hungry trout I guess.

Way to pop the swimbait cherry, but strange way to do it. When I drove by yesterday it seemed pretty quiet for a Sunday Memorila day weekend, I stayed away this weekend anticipating chaos I guess I should have made an attempt.

We froze early on but stuck it out in hopes of a clear up.
Wind died mid day for the warm up but as usual, so did the fishing.
We made a move using the poppy pass to Cleghorn to look for LMB in the south shore cove and east to lot 3 from there but nothing!
Everything around the swimbeach and stores was blown out with people and BBQ's.
Anything with a hike in was dead empty.

The
ol point was trashed. We hauled out a landing net full of line and garbage. Poor place needs us around again to keep it clean. There's a whole easy up sitting back there right now with my name on it hiding in a swimbeach.
The rains chased out everyone near us who attempted to fish in the morning on the back side of the lake while we hid in the bushes and stuck it out.

TheAsianGuy
05-31-2011, 07:47 AM
The ol point was trashed. We hauled out a landing net full of line and garbage. Poor place needs us around again to keep it clean. There's a whole easy up sitting back there right now with my name on it hiding in a swimbeach.

Don't know about you guys, but I guess I'm not the flavor of choice to be around when I see anglers destroying the fishing spots with their trashes. I nearly break out into fights because I nagged them so much to clean up their messes, but they turn their butt cheeks towards me, treating me as if I was just some biiaatch (sorry for the language) as their fishing cleaning crew. I was tempted to pull out my 6" survival hunting knife to do some filleting on those cheeks. But as always, my wife, the bazooka of my arsenal, got their balls in a tight grip and made them cleaned up before I went Asian sashimi style on them.

seal
05-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Not looking forward to what I'm going to see when I get back there this afternoon. It wasn't too bad prior to the weekend (trash) but following Memorial day and until the end of the summer the place is going to be trashed unfortunately, then after the idiots go home they clean it up and it's decent all fall and winter, then the cycle starts over again.

I really got to put my patient pants on this time of the year, too many aholes. I'm sure I'll get some crazy tales from the Rangers this week.

Skyler
05-31-2011, 09:26 AM
I was expecting the weather. As tj knows, I've had a curse for the last few months. Every time I decide to go fishing, the weather turns to crap. Then it's hot and sunny all week at work, and I have to wear a black long sleeve class a uniform with full duty gear. Then the weekend comes again, I grab my fishing gear, and a tropical storm comes in, lol.

bman90278
05-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Nothing wrong with catching a nice hungry trout!

b

fish-o-haulic
05-31-2011, 10:20 AM
I was expecting the weather. As tj knows, I've had a curse for the last few months. Every time I decide to go fishing, the weather turns to crap. Then it's hot and sunny all week at work, and I have to wear a black long sleeve class a uniform with full duty gear. Then the weekend comes again, I grab my fishing gear, and a tropical storm comes in, lol.

same here. for me it starts out nice and the fish start biting well during the nice wether, but then be4 a fish can get to me the wether goes to crap and then the fish stop biting on top of it. thats y i fish primarily in the summer. wether is just hot then, no crappy wether for me lol hahaha. but nice fish and on a swimbait too.

seal
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
My fear is the weather is going to continue to be crappy all spring which will keep water temps down which will affect the length and strength of topwater season, AGAIN! Seems like a replay of last year.

Natural Lefty
05-31-2011, 02:34 PM
That is a good catch there, that trout.

The thing about the trash reminds me of the thread about trash at DVL. It seems a lot of us on this site clean up other people's trash, myself included, but the ones you never hear from keep on leaving it.