PDA

View Full Version : Mud Marlins!

Turbo_turtle88
05-29-2011, 07:15 PM
If any of you like a huge fight the batrays are biting in Newport Harbor. Finally landed this 80lb batray after he drug me and another person in an inflatable dingy around the harbor for 30 minutes. I ended up losing 3 other batrays that were even larger than this one that felt like I was stuck to someone's speedboat. Use whole mackerel and 50lb plus line and hang on!

cjmedina
05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Nice thanks for the report..bet it was fun

fishindude420
05-29-2011, 07:30 PM
nice man! Those are fun fighters for shure! Im going out tonight for some of those drag rippers myself :)

vanillagurilla
05-29-2011, 07:37 PM
damn it tim! why didnt you tell me! haha, i got my 30lb rod ready to go to :P

Pelagic
05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
What's the meat on those like?

lovefofish
05-29-2011, 08:17 PM
I heard(never done) if you cookie cutter the wings they taste just like scallops. You try it and tell me what you think.

Fishzilla
05-29-2011, 08:28 PM
I heard(never done) if you cookie cutter the wings they taste just like scallops. You try it and tell me what you think.

Yup same thing I heard they suppose taste like scallops want to catch one to find out 8-)~

bones
05-29-2011, 09:17 PM
First of all....Congrats on landing that beast. I've been worn out on my float tube in that harbor buy one of those....What a ride!
I'm not totally convinced that you kept that fish because the background can be misleading in NPH. I'd rather cut my line at the hook to eliminate my exposure to bat ray SNOT !
In all of my time here on the FNN and other forums I've only seen one other guy keep and atempt to eat a bat ray ! He is a serious meat eater and eats almost everything but he told me personally that it wasn't very tasty !
If you did keep it and plan on eating it......Ewwwwwwwwww..... Good luck with that !

That's just plain NASTY IMHO. :ROFL:

Turbo_turtle88
05-29-2011, 09:58 PM
no way bro! i rarely eat any fish. i practice CPR - Catch, Photograph, Release. The batray was released unharmed back into the harbor i watched it swim away. And yes it was totally a wild ride felt like i was hooked up to a car.

superbigfish
05-30-2011, 01:04 AM
There are a lot of people that eat batrays. It's just how your prepare them. Whenever I catch them, the wings are cut and body is thrown back. The body isn't that good.

murrieta angler
05-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Nice catch Bud.
I was wathcing a cooking show and that was the primary ingrediant for one of the contests.
It can't taste that bad!
Robert
<><

candyman
05-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Man that is a beast! Im sure that was a heck of a pull

smokehound
05-30-2011, 04:01 PM
There are a lot of people that eat batrays. It's just how your prepare them. Whenever I catch them, the wings are cut and body is thrown back. The body isn't that good.I have no problem with people keeping the occasional batray, but dont throw the rest back in the water, that's disgusting. throw it in the ****** trashcan.

tree
05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
I have no problem with people keeping the occasional batray, but dont throw the rest back in the water, that's disgusting. throw it in the ****** trashcan.

Whaaat, I'd disagree. Why dump organic waste just to rot in a landfill? Toss it back in the water and let the fishies/crabs/lobster have a feast.

smokehound
05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Whaaat, I'd disagree. Why dump organic waste just to rot in a landfill? Toss it back in the water and let the fishies/crabs/lobster have a feast.Because the tide has a habit of lowering, leaving the corpse to rot in the sun, and decomposing sharks and rays STINK like hell!!.

Not to mention it's illegal to do this anyway. Plus the rotting flesh repels fish, too.

DockRat
05-31-2011, 07:02 AM
There are a lot of people that eat batrays. It's just how your prepare them. Whenever I catch them, the wings are cut and body is thrown back. The body isn't that good.

Telling people to chop off the wings on a so so eating fish then toss the body back? WTF
That is like telling people to fin sharks because the soup taste good.

The Stingray is a gracefull swimmer and should be released.
People see a Wingless Dead Body there is ONLY BAD PRESS for Fishermen.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/dr14889/Batray.jpg

Release Rat Rays Too ! :Secret:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee7/jigtosser/040409_BatRay.jpg DR

tree
05-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Because the tide has a habit of lowering, leaving the corpse to rot in the sun, and decomposing sharks and rays STINK like hell!!.

Not to mention it's illegal to do this anyway. Plus the rotting flesh repels fish, too.

I guess I was just ignorant. Be responsible and take care of your waste. It's a good rule to live by.