PDA

View Full Version : Local Trip, 5/27/11

tailsup1
05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
We knew we were gonna hit the salt Friday, May 27th but weren’t quite sure where to go and what to do. The SMB cuda bite shut down, the Catalina bite was hit/miss, and the local Izors/Flats/H-shoe bite pretty much shut down with the week’s dose of wind. Forecast was okay for the morning w/ some patchy fog but was supposed to be really windy in the afternoon w/ a good amount of swell and chop. Found out the Monte Carlo scored on 100+ sand bass on Thursday which was great news. All that in mind, we decided to stay local and launch out of Davies. Plan was to head towards the Flats, check Izors on the way, and check out the Horseshoe if necessary.

Friday morning comes around and we launch a little late in order to avoid the fog. At the launch ramp around 7am and everything went smooth. Went to pick up a ½ scoop for sardine/chovie mix. Water outside was really pretty nice and the wind was not bad either. Nothing but a few short bites in the early AM. We did meter some fish on structure but nothing stuck. Saw some birds working, pulled the pick and headed over. Porpoise, lots of them. Fished the area a bit to keep the spot honest. Nothing on the jigs or bait.

In the later AM we saw a lot of birds again (love that sight) and the whole fleet did as well. We were not the first boat to them but we were not the last. Pulled up and smelled the slimesticks. The area was pretty large and we were all running and gunning on the fish. A few here and a few there on the various boats out there. Everyone worked together pretty well. I got bit several times on my Tady C and was wondering why I just can’t get ‘em to stick. After all, this was my favorite Tady C of all time. Checked the hooks….ooops, DULL, really dull. Left my file at home too. Anyhow, grabbed my Phenix PHD 809XH w/ a BX2-500. I know, overkill for local stuff but I was using my TN40 as a trolling setup for the day. Cast out a silver/black mega bait type jig and got bit really deep on a medium retrieve. Yeah, fish on deck. Buddy gets one on bait. I go to an all silver surface iron on my Seeker SD-8 w/ TN 16. Fish number 2 and 3 hits the deck w/ that combo. After all the running and gunning we ended up w/ 5 total slimesticks/stovepipes/gar/LB wahoo/snotsticks/whatever they are called. Size was solid 7-8# range. Key today was to run/gun, respect the others, and get your fish. Good volume but I think the boat pressure was a little much for them to stay up for too long. Did some trolling w/ Rapalas at times and scored zilch on them.

Water was really fine all day. The wind came up but it wasn’t too bad. Heard that the Catalina wsb bite really went great that day. Satisfied w/ a great day on the water w/ friends and some fish too.

Hey Moon, if you’re reading this….wow, great job on Rose’s jigstick! No fish on it that day but it did get used quite a bit. Cool of you to drop it off too.

Tails up,
Dale

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/dwaterboy1/Fishing%20May%2027%202011/Kaelas7thBirthday162.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/dwaterboy1/Fishing%20May%2027%202011/Kaelas7thBirthday160.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/dwaterboy1/Fishing%20May%2027%202011/Kaelas7thBirthday168.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/dwaterboy1/Fishing%20May%2027%202011/Kaelas7thBirthday164.jpg

murrieta angler
05-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Nice job Tailsup.
Some good looking gar.
Robert
<><

Which Way Out
05-30-2011, 07:14 AM
slimesticks/stovepipes/gar/LB wahoo/snotsticks

I like that. 5 different names for the same 5 fish you guys got on deck.
Good work and tnx for the report

Tunaslam
05-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Way to take advantage of the weather window, congrats!
Hook up!
Cory

JapanRon
05-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi tailsup1,

Very nice report ..... appreciated. Wind wind wind.

JapanRon

tailsup1
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Nice job Tailsup.
Some good looking gar.
Robert
<><
Thank you! I love it when you don't need to measure fish.

slimesticks/stovepipes/gar/LB wahoo/snotsticks

I like that. 5 different names for the same 5 fish you guys got on deck.
Good work and tnx for the report

Yup, I know there's more names but couldn't remember them all. Oh, I should add "scooter" to the list.

Way to take advantage of the weather window, congrats!
Hook up!
Cory

Thanks Cory! Yeah, looks like the winds kicked up since. It was nice out there and the fish weren't too far away.

Hi tailsup1,

Very nice report ..... appreciated. Wind wind wind.

JapanRon

Thanks Ron. If this we get a break from this wind for a few days we'll probably have some great local fishing.

Tails up,
Dale