PDA

View Full Version : Don't miss Kewlwhip's note

billy b
08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
If you've been cooking, bbq'ing, or just KP'ing... it's a good idea to change clothes, and be careful where you put those clothes, before going to bed.

Hate to lose a bear.

kewlwhip
08-08-2007, 04:58 PM
nice billy b
theres a lil more info for those who don't know, or think they'll never "bump" or "see" a bear in there life/campsite.

-throw away all trash in the "bear-bins" daily! Don't keep that around
If you must, tie up a trash bag w/ a rope high up in the trees, and away from your campsite area

-keep your ice chests inside your vehicles when sleeping or leaving your campsite

-clean your fish or food in a designated area

-after that, relax & enjoy the great outdoors!

bigfishlittlefish
08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
If you've been cooking, bbq'ing, or just KP'ing... it's a good idea to change clothes, and be careful where you put those clothes, before going to bed.

Hate to lose a bear.
I do get a little ripe after a few days of camping, but not enough to fell a bear! :lol:

bflf

Granny Fish
08-09-2007, 10:37 AM
All good advice Kewlwhip. :wink:

Also, whatever you leave in your car, make sure it is covered and the doors are locked. Bears will break windows if they see something that looks good inside and they know that coolers have food inside.

If you leave your camp make sure all tent windows are closed and don't store food inside the tent.

When we were staying at the upper Twin Lakes, someone left their tent trailer windows open and a bear tore their tent trailer apart to get to the portapotty. We figure, because it looked like a cooler.

We've never had a bear ransack our camp. Had them come through from time to time, but we always do exactly what you suggested in your post. We have seen a lot of newbee campers who were not so lucky, in the same camp as us. People take a lot for granted when they get out into the wilderness.

Scott H.
08-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Several years back the Asian tourists camping next to us at Yosemite had their rented mini-van torn apart because a bear saw junk food wrappers and empty soda cans, etc., in there. The van was parked right next to my vehicle, which I had completely cleaned out before nightfall.

A few years back, some people next to me thought they could just cover their cooler with a blanket and leave it under their camp table. They ended up leaving early the next morning after sitting in their tent watching a bear eating the contents of their cooler in front of them.

Even if bears can't smell food, they recognize shapes which experience has taught them will hold food. Just put everything out of sight and they'll head for an easy target down the road.

nellkev
08-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I like the new bear boxes they have at most campsites. Just shove everything in there and you have nothing to worry about.