PDA

View Full Version : Late trip report from 5/23

hooks
05-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Arrived at 4:30 and was the 1st one. Launched at 6, it was about 55* and water temp was 68*. I tried bait fishing in Woodys cove for a while but got no bites. I moved up along the west shore and got no bites on pb or bobber/crawlers. by 10 the wind came and was blowing pretty good. I metered fish out over much of the lake in about 30 to 50ft. of water. So, I went to deeper water and tried drifting pb off of the bottom. I also dragged an inflated crawler. About half way to dam, the pb pole gets slammed. It was a nice 2 pound bow that had a big "bird" wound to one side. I soon see local pro scotsmaninoc, who gives me the low down. I start trolling with something silver and black :Secret:. I didn't have his rappalas but my spinners were soon getting hit. It took lead core and/or weighted mono to get down to the fish but it was still good fishing if you had the right stuff. I got a 5 pounder that destroyed a new spinner (bent the heck out of it) and another one about 3 pounds.
When launching in the morning, The boat ramp dock had a bait ball of shad circling it bigger then anything I have seen in fresh water (think saltwater). The fish were swimmng for their lives, boiling up between the rental boats tied to the dock.:EyePop::EyePop:
Tight lines....

karalm
05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Nice report Hooks!! Thanks for the info and that big bait ball was probably part of the recent shad spawn. There all over the place and hence why the silver/black is working big time right now.