PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Stripers??

fasttimes90
05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Ive been waiting for weeks for the stripers to come out and play with no luck! anyone having any luck?

dixoncider
05-27-2011, 06:02 PM
went on wednesday for NOTHING... fished bait for a few hours..no mark's

yolo
05-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Where are the Stripers??

They swam back to the aqueduct for me to catch. :LOL:

fish-o-haulic
05-27-2011, 10:24 PM
They swam back to the aqueduct for me to catch. :LOL:

not if they reach me first. if striper gp extinct check my frying pan for why lololol hahahahaha

laserbrn
05-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I've been catching them at Castaic and at Pyramid. Definitely more @ Pyramid (caught 8 in a 1/2 day today), but larger units @ Castaic. I have to sit at Castaic and fish hard for 8 - 10 hours to grab just a few fish, but they are much larger. Not huge, but the carbon copy fish are 1.5-2.5lbs with some 3+ lbers coming along. @ Pyramid a 3lber is a giant these days.

laserbrn
05-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Although I am omitting a complete skunk @ Pyramid yesterday, lol. I got redemption in a 1/2 day return visit.

fish-o-haulic
05-28-2011, 10:33 PM
even when the striper bite picks up are the ones at pyramid still gonna be small. cuz pyramid actually used to be the lake that harbored the giants. and anything under 12lb test was asking for trouble. im not just talking like 10 years ago. i watched a 30lber take my brother bait hook line and sinker literally, about 3-5 years ago. before the stripers were serious monsters, now there wimps. at pyramid at least but i havent fished pyramid in about 3-5 years so i dont know what its like now. all i know is everytime i fished there i hooked into at least one giant, same with everyone i was fishing with.

stressD
05-28-2011, 11:27 PM
just a thought but maybe the stripers aren't reaching the larger size because of over harvesting. I heard all the comments about the stripers over populating those lakes but maybe it's nearing the breaking point. I don't know the particulars but I've seen posts with pictures of people keeping, imho, way too may fish. is there a daily limit for stripers? Some might think what I'm writing is ridiculous but who know right. Like I said, just a thought.

fish-o-haulic
05-29-2011, 12:08 AM
just a thought but maybe the stripers aren't reaching the larger size because of over harvesting. I heard all the comments about the stripers over populating those lakes but maybe it's nearing the breaking point. I don't know the particulars but I've seen posts with pictures of people keeping, imho, way too may fish. is there a daily limit for stripers? Some might think what I'm writing is ridiculous but who know right. Like I said, just a thought.

limit is ten on striper. these striper arnt largemouth. not insulting lmb fisherman, just saying

laserbrn
05-29-2011, 04:24 AM
I think it's the other way around. I think that the striper population is so huge at Pyramid that they don't have a chance to produce giants anymore. There just isn't enough food source to feed the zillions of fish.

I guess we would have to consult with DFG to find the real answers.

TroutOnly
05-29-2011, 09:35 PM
ONCE YOU SEE A FULL-ON CASTAIC BIG STRIPER BOIL-O-RAMA,,,,,YOU WILL CRAP IN YOURE PANTS,JUST CAUSE THEY ARE HARD TO CATCH DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE NOT THERE,,,,,,,THEY FEED MOSTLY AT NIGHT SO THEY DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE PEOPLE,,,SAME AT PYRAMID AND ALL THE OTHER STRIPER WATERS IN CAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

laserbrn
05-29-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm waiting patiently, checking constantly and I know who I'm going to call when it starts for a guide trip! Fishing hasn't been the same since the last one. I'm catching fish when the fishin' is tough now. Can't wait for it to go wide open.

fishinone
05-30-2011, 08:02 AM

We've had lots of input here on FNN and in other forums from knowledgeable people regarding striper populations.

DFG Biologists and Wardens agree with the experienced fishermen. Striper do great and grow large when the populations are small.

This year at Pyramid Lake, we marked a ball of striper so thick that we couldn't distinguish one fish from another. The school was 80 yards long 50 ft high and 30 yards wide. We also marked many smaller schools before we found that one.

Even if striper were removed from the lakes, they would re-populate from the aqueduct. That's how they got into the lakes to begin with.

SDDave
05-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Kill kill kill stripey .... If all on this board were to catch limits from now until the winter when they go deep again the only thing we would notices is that the fish would be bigger and healthier.
Peak fishing starts in late summer and fall.
As Ron said seen schools the size of football fields at both lakes come up!
I'll quote one of my favorite movies, District 9,
"I love killing stripers, I can't believe I get paid to kill stripey"
I took a little artistic flare to the quote!
Carp are danger to all fisheries, if you get one by mistake kill it.

TroutOnly
05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I killed them all ,dont worry about it,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

fasttimes90
05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
The same goes for silverwood lake, That lake has a huge population of stripers as well with many giants, Ive been fishing late late night at different spots of the lake but still having a hard time locating the giants! Sometimes I fish from midnight to 6am throwing nothing but trout lures. havent seen any boils anywhere, usually the water is like glass late night and you can tell whether a fish breaks the surface. I will keep fishing that lake. DVL was good when they did trout plants from shore, You can see 30lb plus fish crashing the surface and sometimes knocking trout into the air! An unbelievable sight. All fish now are deep and being caught with cut baits. Cant wait for the early fall bite!

Hitts0n
05-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Here they go !!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?57284-Real-world-class-striper-fishing-sat-sun-san-antonio

DarkShadow
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM

To make a 100 page study brief, the reason stripers are not getting any bigger is that well, they're an ocean fish. It's like sticking a bass inside a gold fish bowl and expecting it to get bigger.

Because stripers are also eating machines, they'll eat themselves to 10 inches given enough time.

Pyramid Lake 15 years ago? Used to kick out some toads.

Now? Not so much.

To follow DFG biologists advice, the only way to get striper sizes back up is to harvest as many as the small ones you can.

fish-o-haulic
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
To make a 100 page study brief, the reason stripers are not getting any bigger is that well, they're an ocean fish. It's like sticking a bass inside a gold fish bowl and expecting it to get bigger.

Because stripers are also eating machines, they'll eat themselves to 10 inches given enough time.

Pyramid Lake 15 years ago? Used to kick out some toads.

Now? Not so much.

To follow DFG biologists advice, the only way to get striper sizes back up is to harvest as many as the small ones you can.

pyramid still has some toads, well more like beasts but still. lol

fasttimes90
06-02-2011, 11:30 PM
There are no big fish left in Silverwood. Well maybe a couple.

Nice! How recent are those pics?

gletemfeelsteelgary
06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
just gotta be patient, this year as in the past few years the lake has gone through very rapid water level increases and decreases...

Simply throws of the lakes biological cycles...therfore changing the lakes yearly patterns...

water temp is probaly the most important factor at this time when they want to spawn...when water temps get right it'll switch on !

we keep getting warm weather then a cold front....not lending itslef well to the fish's feeding patterns...

just keep waiting...it'll turn on sooner than later....

The fish are there in groves...when I was there I marked massive schools and many trophy class marks as well...

They just weren't switched on which has been the norm...

The fiash are there ...just be patient..

till then there are certainly many other bodies of water than have active fish...tap those till the bite turns on..

Don't think I am too thrilled about it...it's my backyard but still shut down..waiting for my hometown to kick in : )

good things come to those who wait : )

good luck to all o you : )

Gary

fish-o-haulic
06-07-2011, 01:39 PM
just gotta be patient, this year as in the past few years the lake has gone through very rapid water level increases and decreases...

Simply throws of the lakes biological cycles...therfore changing the lakes yearly patterns...

water temp is probaly the most important factor at this time when they want to spawn...when water temps get right it'll switch on !

we keep getting warm weather then a cold front....not lending itslef well to the fish's feeding patterns...

just keep waiting...it'll turn on sooner than later....

The fish are there in groves...when I was there I marked massive schools and many trophy class marks as well...

They just weren't switched on which has been the norm...

The fiash are there ...just be patient..

till then there are certainly many other bodies of water than have active fish...tap those till the bite turns on..

Don't think I am too thrilled about it...it's my backyard but still shut down..waiting for my hometown to kick in : )

good things come to those who wait : )

good luck to all o you : )

Gary

thats true.

adriiiian
06-08-2011, 11:32 AM
this was last week at castaic

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I see people catching alot of striper, its just there all on a boat. I fish from shore mainly and dont get to take many trips a year so im trying to find out what lake is my best bet for getting striper from shore. Ill be going to hunt down striper in a couple of weeks and im trying to make my time worth it.

adriiiian
06-08-2011, 11:39 AM
You have better luck at pyramid from shore

fish-o-haulic
06-08-2011, 11:41 AM
You have better luck at pyramid from shore

thats what i figured, any particular spots?

laserbrn
06-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I am excited that I was able to snag one on the troll on the FIRST pass the other evening. We metered up a lot of fish in the 15-25 ft range and I decided I've give them the trolling pass and sure enough about 10 minutes in "zzzt-zzzzt-zzzzzzt-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt" and the season officially began.

Fishing has definitely been picking up @ Castaic, the fish are just on the move and you have to find them. Not all of them have "flipped the switch", but some have and the rest will soon follow, muahahaha. Of course my boat is out of commission. Broke shortly after that trolling catch.

adriiiian
06-08-2011, 12:35 PM
nice work out there kevin.
sorry to hear that about your boat tho.
weather is being weird still

ghost2uu
06-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Nice! How recent are those pics?

Big one was in January. The other fish were in April

fasttimes90
06-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys for all your insights! Ive been hunting them at least once a week, mostly at silverwood since im close to that lake, mostly night missions all over the lake, some spots i wouldnt dare venture without a pistol, no love yet but i know they are out there. Good luck to all of you! Keep posting!:Big Grin: