PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Catalina from Dana's Wharf next week.....

AbsolutePig
05-27-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't do very much ocean fishing.......but we have a charter headed out of Dana Point to Catalina next Friday and I need some help. I have everything when it comes to fresh water stuff, but no idea what I need to take to Catalina. I've been monitering the catches and it looks like the standard Baracuda, rock fish, sculpin, etc.

Not sure what poles I should take and I don't want to take 14 poles. Can anyone just give me the basic pole/rod set-ups I would need to take with me without taking my whole arsenol? My fresh water swim bait rod is a Crucial/Curado with 25 pound mono on it.....any need for that? Any chance of hitting the tuna or albacore or even white seas bass? Or should I just go with 10-12 pound test on my other stuff? Thanks for the help in advance.

Kevin

fishingforreds
05-27-2011, 01:40 PM
I would bring at minimum 2 rods. One rod for the bass 12-14# line should do and a second one with at least 25# mono. To early for yellowtail. Don't even think about alibes, they havn't been around Catalina in years. As for the whiteseabass usually it's more of an early greylight bite but you never know.

kzhlin
05-27-2011, 06:16 PM
That curado should be fine for the barracuda. Bring a lighter 10-12# rod as well.

Barracuda bite irons (salas 7x, Tady 45)

Use a double dropper loop on another rod (I like to use my lighter 10-12# bass rod for this)
This is for bottom fishing for rockfish

You might hit some yellowtail as they are starting to show, but most likely no tuna or albies :D

Kevin

ghetto dad
05-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok..this comes from over 30 years fishin on the salt...lol

For the Islands (of course depending on whats biting, that might change what I take) I bring 3 rods: 12 lb 15 lb and 25 lb. If they are catching huge seabass in tight, or yellows at Farnsworth, then I will bring a 40 lb rod.

So....12, 15, and 25....ure good.....

GD

ghetto dad
05-27-2011, 07:14 PM
NO CHANCE of tuna...lol...sorry....

Also, forgot to mention, what i like to also bring, especially to catalina, is a 4 lb trout rod to fish the Blue Perch when fishing is slow! Those blue perch PULL, and a VERY fun on light tackle.

Good luck man

GD

AbsolutePig
05-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info fellas....I appreciate it. Shows how much I know about the salt......I thoughT Yellowtail were tuna??? No? I have a bunch of gift cards for Bass pro so I'm going to shoot over this weekend and pick up a few of these Tady's and Salas. Any other jigs? Should be fun...I'll post a report when I get back.

KID CREOLE
05-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Ok..this comes from over 30 years fishin on the salt...lol

For the Islands (of course depending on whats biting, that might change what I take) I bring 3 rods: 12 lb 15 lb and 25 lb. If they are catching huge seabass in tight, or yellows at Farnsworth, then I will bring a 40 lb rod.

So....12, 15, and 25....ure good.....

GD

Solid advice here!

The only change I would make is one rod 10-12, one rod with 20(my choice) and one with 40!

I fish with white banana type lead heads for Calicos and cbass along the kelp and you should bring a few white Tadys eithe 4/0 or 45s for fishing cbass on the grounds at night

AbsolutePig
05-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks again for the info.....headed to bass pro to pick up a few things. Will the Cuda chew threw 20-25# test? People still use steel leaders these days??

BabyKiller
05-28-2011, 04:08 PM
california yellowTAIL.... member of the jack family
http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/california-yellowtail-flick-ford.jpg

yelllowFIN tuna
http://www.foodieknowledge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/yellowfin_tuna.jpg

AbsolutePig
05-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Looks the same to me.....lol.....j/k!

lovefofish
05-28-2011, 09:44 PM
I want albies.