PDA

View Full Version : conventional reels

flipmlb
05-27-2011, 07:35 AM
i am going to buy my first conventional reel next week and would like to know which is a better buy regardless of price. i am thinking of the talica 16II or accurate bx2-500, which do you think is a better reel? HELP!!!!!!!!

tahnks...

AngryAgent
05-27-2011, 10:14 AM
There is nothing like the drags of the Accurate, but that being said, the Tallica is a much better reel on all other levels. The spool (being the most important difference) is much lighter then the Accurate and therefore freespools easier and casts better as well. When casting it doesn't take as much force to get the spool turning on the Tallica. Flylining baits is also easier again because the spool is lighter and therefore easier for the bait to peel off line, getting farther away from the boat making your chances of getting bit much better.

I have both. If the bite if WFO and I don't need to get a bait far from the boat by casting or flylining, or soak a bait for longer then 5 minutes (Guadalupe necessitates some long soaks) I am going to use the Accurate because those drags are so smooth and more consistent then anything else on the market. That being said I almost never use the Accurate's anymore.

Another reel that performs well in almost every category but isn't as hyped as the others is the Daiwa Saltist LD's. They flyline and cast better then either of the above 2. I just came back from a Tony Reyes trip and out of 16 yellowtail only 2 made any kind of run and the other 14 I cranked straight to the boat. This reel gets it but is no where near as pretty as the others. IF you're looking for functionality over looks I choose this reel before either of the others.

flipmlb
05-30-2011, 06:57 AM
thanks for the info, how about the new saltiga 2 speed?

AngryAgent
05-30-2011, 08:39 AM
thanks for the info, how about the new saltiga 2 speed?

Don't bother..