PDA

View Full Version : First time fishing from boat, any tips?

BiggPhish
05-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Well I'm heading out tomorrow to upper lake and plan on renting a boat. does any one know if these boats come with sufficient rope to anchor out by the bouy lines? has anyone ever tried using a fish finder one of those boats. Hoping to try my luck at some strippers, if that fails then some bluegill or redear fishing. Taking my niece with me, we had no luck at the others lakes we tried. Can any one offer some tips for a day out at castaic? Thanks.

SDDave
05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi, first thing check the weather before heading up to the lake, there's wind forecast until Sunday night for a strong north west wind which can close the lake to launching any boats, with the holiday crowds expected it's going to be a bummer if they shut the lake down, one of the sites you can use to check the conditions is www.lakecastaic.com on there you'll also find a phone number for the boat rentals I believe.
Good Luck, Have fun, and I'm sure others can fill you in more on there rental experience.
Dave

BiggPhish
05-26-2011, 07:29 PM
weather calls out for Nw winds 15-25 mph. That doesnt sound good. where else could i go for striper? Skinner? I'll check the weather for that area. Thanks Dave.

DarkShadow
05-26-2011, 09:00 PM
and to answer the question about the length of anchor rope?

yeah....they barely give you enough anchor rope to tie up to the dock.

good luck with the strippers.

laserbrn
05-27-2011, 02:37 AM
I am going to head out there tomorrow. I'm hoping that we can get in at least a 1/2 day before the wind starts whipping around.

ToadsToadsOnly
05-27-2011, 02:53 AM
Tips.. bring bananas for good luck and try your luck at skinner with chicken liver. Bananas will not hinder your luck oh and bring extra rope so u could reach bottom with anchor.

TroutOnly
05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Dude dont bring the banana's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-27-2011, 09:52 AM
and DON"T go to castaic

try skinner pyramid is steady but no boat rentals yet

Sublime-Steve
05-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Lol! Yea dont bring the bananas or wear yellow..

BiggPhish
05-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Anyone have any luck? I called castaic marina and they told me they were not renting boats because of the winds. So disapointed I had on my favorite banana shirt. Well headed south, wanting to go to skinner but when i called them they had no more boats available. can't wait to hit the lotto so i can buy a boat, i think it will happen soon. Wishfull thinking, it was wishfull thinking i could get a couple phishies out of corona lake. Hit corona lake this morning with no luck. They have some nasty water, I don't know what they have floating in the water but looked like de-shelled oysters. I don't know how to insert image yet so i could show you what was in the water, I'm a rookie still. I'm going to start planing my next phish adventure.