PDA

View Full Version : trolling in a tube in style

matt duarte
08-08-2007, 08:38 AM
would this work???? sorry for the crappy drawing but you get the idea (trolling motor on a tube..the fish cat 4)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/oneUPfabrication/trollingfloat.jpg

I would mainly use this for larger lakes to get to all the spots I like, and just to cover a greater distance in a shorter time. I know I've talked about this before but I think I'm just gonna say eff it and go buy it and see how well it holds up... I'm not a really BIG guy so I know it shouldn't exceed the weight limit in this tube

Skyler
08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Just get some bigger flippers and put more power to the water. You'd be suprised how strong it will make your roundhouse, he he.

matt duarte
08-08-2007, 09:34 AM
lol. the fins I had were pretty long and they didn't do well... they had a slit down the center don't know if that played a prt in it but they pretty muched sucked! why are all the ''float tube fins'' short and fat? does it make it easyer to move around? I have some old u.s diver fins in going to try this saturday I hope they work better than the other one I had.

but don't get me wrong here I wouldn't use the trolling motor all the time just to get away from shore fast so I don't miss that earily morning bite! I missed it last time paddling out to perris:(
than that thing would get shut off for the rest of the time and I'd kick around untill I was ready to go back to shore ( I like the slow approch while I'm at ''the spot' fishing but I like to get out to where I want to be faster than paddle speed you know what I mean

BakoBassin
08-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Not sure how small batteries come that would run a trolling motor. This may be an issue.

You're probably looking at around $200 for motor and battery either way. Shoulda bought a kickboat :wink:

matt duarte
08-08-2007, 10:23 AM
lol ya shoulda woulda....if I had the 1000 bucks to throw down on it..or if my wife would let me have my credit card back! lol but ya I have no problem with kicking, I just think it would be pretty nifty to have :lol:

wouldn't be able to use something like a car battery and place it in a small ice chest so it wouldn't get wet? or is their a special one you have to use?

sullyfish
08-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Turn the motor around... :wink:

sullyfish
08-08-2007, 11:18 AM
edit

matt duarte
08-08-2007, 11:21 AM
lol ya I noticed that one after I posted it....

Ronira
08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Hey Matt, cool drawing but a trolling motor and deep cycle marine battery would weigh more than you and the tube. It's the heavyest ( is that a word ) thing I put on my pontoon and it does a wheely till I get on. You need that weedeater motor Beeracuda took a pic of at Perris a while back.

matt duarte
08-08-2007, 02:11 PM
really? its that heavy? I see the motors are around 20 to 30 pounds but wow, ya I'd proly sink! lol strach that idea!

if I get lazy ill just tie meself to my buddys boat :lol: thanks for the info I was waiting for someone to tell me how much these babies weight...

well back to the drawing board...

thanks again for the info from your experience with the motors and inflatables

Socal Bassman
08-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Mabye you should've gotten this instead.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/pwrtube.jpg

Ronira
08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Okay maybe I'm overstating the weight a little but they are really heavy Matt. For a float tube it seems like a lot to me. That being said I've got to admit I have not used one so maybe it's allright. I just can't see it. I'm going to go find out how much my battery weighs and see. I'll let you know. Peace Ron

Ronira
08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Hey SoCal that's cool but where does the battery go. That's awsome. Ron

Socal Bassman
08-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I think the battery is in that compartment right in front of the motor. Just stumbled across it on some website and thought it looked cool. Too bad the tube is one of those round ones.

matt duarte
08-08-2007, 09:42 PM
ya that thing is pretty sweet! does suck its a round one though kinda looks like the tube took a poop :lol:

if they sold that as an attachment thatd be sweet

tacklejunkie
08-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Dude! I saw some guy rippin around in his tube at perris. I was wondering how the hell he was swimming so fast and covering all that water. All the sudden I look and he's pulling up a hacked down trolling motor! :lol: The guy had his tube all rigged up with a big 4x5" display fish finder too!

The fishcat would be a good platform to do it on with all the extra cargo space. I think you would just have to sew a solid mount into the fabric for the trolling motor..

Flying
08-09-2007, 01:22 AM
ya that thing is pretty sweet! does suck its a round one though kinda looks like the tube took a poop :lol:

if they sold that as an attachment thatd be sweet

They used to sell a attachment like that. It was a small tube that you mounted your own battery and trolling motor in. You just strapped it to the back of your tube.

That sure is a lot of crap to haul down to the shore.

matt duarte
08-09-2007, 08:03 AM
lol ya I as thinking of buying one and hacking the down tube shorter.... I'm waiting till payday and I'm proly gonna buy one to see if I can make it work...
I do a lot of fabricating, if any of you have seen my myspace you can see the baja bug I'm building so I have plenty of ideas on what to do to make it work..
if only I could make the mounts out of metal I'd be good to go but its to heavy and I'm still learning this pvc pipe thing....the glue dries faster than hell!

tacklejunkie
08-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I Was thinking of pulling a trolling motor off the stick, and finding a way to sew a mount for the little motor and prop to my tube so I don't have to deal with the big rod and the thing on top. I like to fabricate and I'm pretty good with electronics as well.

They have a couple minn tonka trolling motors down at day street wallmart. I didn't see the price on them though. If they are cheap enough ($100 or under) I might pick one up and give it a shot one day.

You could stash the battery in the fishcat float tube cooler. Use either a small hobby 12v battery and see how long it lasts, or go expensive and get hobby lithium polymer batteries and rig something to prevent them from discharging too low to prevent a fire. These would be very tiny and weigh practically nothing compared to a 12v motorcycle battery. I use lithium polymer in my r/c helicopters. They can output a few thousand watts! (enough to start a car easily). I have some that can do 50 volts at 200amps and only weigh a pound :lol:

matt duarte
08-09-2007, 08:59 AM
ya I thought I saw a walmart add about thetrolling motors! I think I might have to go pick one up tomarrow! ya ill need to find a good battery small and light weight would be good...

socalfishing
08-12-2007, 06:37 PM
there are a few trolling motors around that are small enough to mount to a float tube. using a mount simular to the ones used to mount fish finders on tubes, (a larger rod holder tube and strap). Use a small 4 pound 12 volt rechargeable motercycle battery and you should be set.

Ronira
08-13-2007, 03:58 AM
You need a deep cycle battery to run a trolling motor. I don't know if they make one that small.

Rapid
08-13-2007, 03:17 PM
gawd you ppl are lazy! :lol:

Get some good fins! That always does the trick! You'd be surprised what big a difference they make! :shock:

Try some HotSpot fins! FNN member FatAlbert can hook you up with some if you can get a hold of him via PM thru these boards! ;)

I have a pair, and they are incredibly sweet! Consider it!

btw, getting excercise while fishing, is like sugar to the kool-aid!

Good fishing everybody!

FishSum
08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Rapid !!! Where the hell you been Bro?

I agree just get some damn fins and get on the water...

FngRHooKr
08-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I am using a $100 minkota from wal-mart and it weighs about 20 lbs and I use a 12v lawn mower battery also from wal-mart that weighs about 5 lbs to power a small fiberglass boat I have. As long as you minimize the time you run full throttle I have had my battery last 5 hours with charge still remaining. I think you would have more trouble trying to mount the trolling motor that anything.

Paul

Beeracuda211
08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey Matt, cool drawing but a trolling motor and deep cycle marine battery would weigh more than you and the tube. It's the heavyest ( is that a word ) thing I put on my pontoon and it does a wheely till I get on. You need that weedeater motor Beeracuda took a pic of at Perris a while back.

LMAO, I was busting my arse off! HERE WE GO AGAIN< FULL THROTTLE!! &#58;rofl&#58; &#58;rofl&#58;

http&#58;//i176&#46;photobucket&#46;com/albums/w176/beeracuda211/killgill3&#46;jpg

Don't you feel sorry for the kid?? lol!

B/C &#58;beer&#58;

Ronira
08-20-2007, 05:20 PM
That's the one Beeracuda, I almost pissed myself again&#46; Nice job bro&#46; Peace Ron

Big_Mike
08-25-2007, 10:34 AM
you can just buy the back part ive seen them for like 100&#46;00 but i think i can make it if i ever do i will post it but at the same time we need to keep the law of K&#46;I&#46;S&#46;S in the pic&#46; K&#46;I&#46;S&#46;S (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) not a shot at you jsut the law of kiss

Fisher-of-Men
08-25-2007, 10:53 AM
you can just buy the back part ive seen them for like 100&#46;00 but i think i can make it if i ever do i will post it but at the same time we need to keep the law of K&#46;I&#46;S&#46;S in the pic&#46; K&#46;I&#46;S&#46;S (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) not a shot at you jsut the law of kiss

The Law of Kiss can be put this way as well, "Keep It Short n Simple"&#46;

I personally like this example as not to throw an attack or insult towards the other person who most likely would be offended by being called"Stupid"&#46;

But that's just my &#58;2cents&#58;

Fisher-of-Men