PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Needing Advice

Persian
05-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey everyone, Hope all is well.

I am new to the fishing world and itching to fish somewhere. I dont have a boat and I dont want to spend 200 bucks for me and my girlfriend to take a charter out until I get the hang of things.

I was hoping you guys could answer some questions to help me get started on this fishing adventure. I have done some Pier fishing in newport beach when I was a kid. We would catch a lot of mackeral but that is as much as i Know about fishing.

I live in Orange County Laguna Hills area. Where is the best spot to go fishing around here?

What type of equipment should I get? How thick should my line be and what type of bait should I use?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

kzhlin
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Surf fishing with freshwater bass gear is an option. 6-12# line depending. get a Lucky Craft lure (LC) and you're set for some butts and other fish that you might encounter.

Or you can try the pier. But I have met a lot of annoying a**holes on the piers so I gave up pier fishing long ago.

Re8elmonk0341
05-26-2011, 04:51 PM
I agree. Start off with surf fishing. You can get a nice freshwater bass set up for fairly inexpensive pick up some fish crack or LC's find some sandy beaches and there you go. Good time and if you put some time into it good exercise too lol.

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Though you’ll spend a little bit o dough, I think ur odds of a great time are good..

Go rent a boat out of Newport Davey’s locker

They are skiffs about 14-15’-16’

Cost about 70-90 dollars depending on the boat…get some live anchovies or dines (whatever they have at the bait receiver…)

Fish in Newport Harbor off the skiff with live bait..

#2 or #4 (maybe #1 if the bait is big) short shank bait hooks will work
(NOT “baitholder”)

10 to 15lb test mono

7 to 7 ½’ spinning pole & reel

(go to a baitcaster after U get better at fishing)

Either flyline the bait
Splitshot the bait
Carolina rig

Each of those presentations will serve a deeper and deeper depth target..

OR try off the jetty’s there or off balboa island from shore slinging some plastics or LC’ 128’s

Lures probably are gonna turn U off till U get more than a few fish under ur belts..

Get on sum feesh

It’ll will feed ur confidence

Many many other options…I just thought that might be a good fit for ur circumstances.

Good luck,
Gary

P.S.
Never forget about the good ol' "Crocodile" chrome prism pattern....will get U fish shore or boat !

ghetto dad
05-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Surf fishing also has my vote....dont need much gear, and its free...my price range..lol

Check this board out..there are a lot of reports and threads about surf fishing on here...any questions, feel free to PM me...Ill help you out the best that i can...

peace

GD

bones
05-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I would go with Gary's advice as far as the harbor thing. NPH is close to you. There are no swells to give your lady motion sickness which can ruin a day for the two of you. As far as gear is concerned....You have the internet...LOL
Search through this websight and others. Ther are sooooooo many helpfull website's to explore. The various opinions and advice of fisherman will be so diverse but Gary gave you the basics. Your 200 dollar budget won't go very far if you havn't purchased your 2011 fishing permits yet which must include SW fees also. The minimum purchase I believe now is a two day permit which is 22 bucks per person. If you want to keep your feet on the sand you will save alot of money short term and that is what I would suggest until the water warms a bit and the counts come up on the charter boats. I just don't weant you to get discouraged right out of the gate.
Look before you leap.....especially this time of year. We are in the transition between northern and southern swells. Soon the northern swell will not be a factor and all of our south swell and warmer conditions will prevail.
It gives you some time to do some research.
Good luck and be sure to report back to the FNN with your story-----<><

kzhlin
05-27-2011, 08:34 AM
I've never fished from a rental skiff from Davey's Locker before. How is it? What's it like?

Kevin

gletemfeelsteelgary
05-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I've never fished from a rental skiff from Davey's Locker before. How is it? What's it like?

Kevin
check their website...they have pictures etc...

fairly good boats....rented them about 3 times myself, never had any issues, just a little pricey but they are stable and it's convenient....

visit their website and call them b4 going...not sure if you need reservations..

On anuther note, people are sugesting surf fishing which is indeed a cheep resolve but finding the right surf and conditions may prove to be tougher than expected to the beginner or novice...then add the actual turbulence of the surf and it does not lend itself well to the beginner..

I suggested the harbor in a rental as it most likeley has the best possible potential for a real good solid relaxing day..

fishing the surf can wear on one at times, especially if one brings his lady..

anyways....my 2 cents....I hope there is success whatever the attack...

Slay dem muthas' !