PDA

View Full Version : Rpt-Wed.-05-25-11 Rockpile, at least no skunk!

Tunaslam
05-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Fishing Wednesday, May 25, 11, on Lal’s 18’ boat, the “Rubber Ducky”. We left Lal’s house in Cerritos at 3am, arriving in San Diego at Shelter Island at 5am. We stopped at EB for a dynamite scoop of slimy Sardines, and cleared the point at 5:30 am.

We headed toward the Rockpile, 25 miles south, arriving at just before 7am. There were several Sport Boats anchored up, and a bunch of private boaters. The conditions were ideal, clear blue water, 62.5-degree water temps, and very calm conditions. As we began to select a spot to set up on, we noticed a few bent rods on the Constitution. So we worked our way down swell, and started drifting, fly lining Sardines.

No bites for us for the next three hours, as many private boaters got bit, and the Sporties put on a fish or two. We had Yellowtail boiling all around us a number of times. They were obviously line shy. Both Lal and I started fishing with 25 lb. line, with similar Flouro Carbon leaders. After touching base with good friends Ron and Toni on the Salt Fever, who already had landed two Yellowtail and lost a couple of others, Lal finally got bit and smoked, the big Tail running him straight into the rocks, returning hook less with frayed line! The big tail took him to task, and rocked him, despite a very tight drag.

We anchored; we drifted, and slow trolled Sardines. I threw Iron, both Yo Yo, and surface Iron. Lal threw plastics. These fish were just not on the chew for us. Finally while drifting, my 20 lb. outfit gets bit, and after a first run of about 50 feet, then a few 10 foot runs, I land a 25 pound Yellowtail, finally the skunk is off the boat, and there is blood on the deck!

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_1441.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i394/tunaslam/100_1443.jpg

The wind came up at noon, about ten knots, gradually increasing to 15 a few hours later. The swells were huge, many 5,6 and 7 footers, fortunately fairly far apart, although we wind chop was a constant 2 to 3’ in the afternoon. We exchange results with some other private boaters, listened to the radio chatter, and the best count we heard of was five Yellowtail, most private boaters had 0, 1 or 2, with similar loss ratios. Light line was the way to go, yet increased the risk factor?

At 1:30pm, the Mission Belle had a few hookups, and the surrounding private boaters also had bent rods. We were slow trolling at this time when my 20 lb. outfit gets bit. The reel starts screaming, the depth of the spool was rapidly diminishing, deep into the Spectra backing and ping, darn another smart Tail and big too, no stopping him! I reeled up 20 feet of frayed line. They sure know their pinnacles, and have the power to reach them. You always think after, should I have tightened the drag? Then if I did and ping, I would wonder why I did that and lose the fish, when I might have had a chance otherwise. Besides I had earlier landed a 25 pound Yellowtail with the same drag setting. Oh well, no one can answer that one, its part of the challenge.

Spent the next hour slow trolling sardines, and watching very little happen around us, with reduced bird activity and few fish signs. So we called it a day at 2:25pm, with the wind and swell looking onerous for the long drive up hill to Point Loma! We heard other private boaters on the radio stating they weren’t looking forward to the *** kicking they were looking at going back to the barn. Took us exactly 2 hours, didn’t get wet, and didn’t get too beat up, however, it was tiring hanging on as we road the horse home.

The Mission Belle looked to be high boat with 24 Tails, Constitution had 16, and the San Diego ended the day with 15. The Malahini got the big “O”, yikes! Tough fishing, but I would do it all over again, given the chance. Got to believe these fish will bite more than 2 days in a row sometime soon? Now a Holiday weekend approaches and Mother wind is again in a fury, go figure. Everyone have a happy and safe Holiday weekend.

Thanks Lal, another adventure in the books on the Ducky!
Hook up! Cory

JapanRon
05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi Tunaslam,

WTG .... wish Lal had got his in too !! What ? Lal ...... with a tight drag ..... not buttoned or hammered down ....really !! :)

thanks,

JapanRon

chris
05-26-2011, 04:57 PM
way to go cory... i couldnt get away and hoped for a good weekend but like you said that big bad "W" word is probably going to keep me home til next week

Newfishsmell
05-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Bad AZZZZ looking tail guys !
Thanks for the report .

Sparky70
05-26-2011, 06:20 PM
I wish I could find TAIL like that ! :EyePop: :EyePop: :EyePop:

E.A.R.G.
05-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Way to gooo!!!!!!!

DockRat
05-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Great job on the YT. Those suckers are smart.
Great pic too.
DR

Which Way Out
05-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Great job on the YT. Those suckers are smart.
Great pic too.
DR

And strong.
Congrats and thanks for showing us some life at least..

murrieta angler
05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Awesome Cory,
I was hoping someone from the board would hook up and land one!
I actually thought about you when I read the 129 count a few days ago and wondered if you were going to get out.
Thanks for the Play by Play and picture.
Robert
<><

eddiefishtaco
05-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Nice!

cool report and pics