PDA

View Full Version : First halibut of the season...

campeontri
05-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Hi everyone,
Today I had plans of waking up really early to go halibut fishing but somehow I just couldn't get up and ended up arriving at Marina Del Rey around 9AM. I also had plans of fishing with lures instead of live bait like I usually do, but upon arrival I found one of my fishing friends who offered me some live bait. So I decided to do the live bait from 9AM-2PM without a single bite, by this time I was really bored and I was ready to leave. But somehow I decided to cast and retrive my live bait when I get my first hit, I was Patiently waiting for the halibut to go for a run but somehow the halibut only took my bait. I decided to give it a try one more time and I casted out another fresh live smelt and not so long after I felt that something hit my pole. After patiently waiting more than 10 minutes for this fish to eat the bait, it finally went for a run when I decided to set the hook. I fought this fish for about 5 minutes and thanks to my friends we were able to retrieve this fish from the jetty. This halibut ended up measuring 25"...

DockRat
05-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Welcome to FNN :Thumbs Up:

After patiently waiting more than 10 minutes for this fish to eat the bait, it finally went for a run when I decided to set the hook. I fought this fish for about 5 minutes and thanks to my friends we were able to retrieve this fish from the jetty. This halibut ended up measuring 25"...

Congrats on the Halibut.

That's a long wait for a hookset. 10 Min ?
Possible All Game SW Record ?

10 - 20 seconds for live smelt will work.
They will grab the bait then turn it, then eat it.
DR

Which Way Out
05-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Welcome and congrats.

campeontri
05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Maybe I exagerated about the ten minutes, but yes I had to wait a long time. Minutes prior to my catch I had lost another halibut and this time I wanted to make sure this halibut wouldn't go away since they weren't that active yesterday. Thank you for the welcoming and the tips :Smile:

bones
05-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Welcome to FNN :Thumbs Up:

Congrats on the Halibut.

That's a long wait for a hookset. 10 Min ?
Possible All Game SW Record ?

10 - 20 seconds for live smelt will work.
They will grab the bait then turn it, then eat it.
DR

It kinda depends on the size of your live smelt.....and the size of the halibut that tries to eat it IMHO. A stinger setup will eliminate the waiting game.
Hey DR.....It's been a while since I've seen a halibut report from ya !

Campeontri........Thanks for the heads up on MDR. I've been waiting for it to pick up. The migrating sandbass are on the move....The slimesticks are on the chew and apparently the flatties are moving in as well.
MMMMMM....Big swell due in by Sat/Sun......might have to give my favorite dropshot spot in MDR a try!

DockRat
05-27-2011, 06:11 AM
I tried yesterday at Torrance Mike. Kelp and eel grass every cast, too windy also.
The water came up a couple degrees and felt good barefoot. Tossed the Kroc then tried bait.
10 min of digging for 1 nice sandcrab. Millions of baby sandcrabs 1/4" and smaller.
DR

sidified
05-27-2011, 01:09 PM
You are one patient man! Really happy for you that it paid off. Keep it up...

ghetto dad
05-27-2011, 03:55 PM
LOL @ "10 minutes" he prob pooped the hook out by then..lmao

GREAT job bro!!! way to slay!!

GD

lovefofish
05-27-2011, 04:09 PM
nice way to go on the flat one