PDA

View Full Version : BBL Proxy Report

etaggart
05-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Just got off the phone with my Father-in-Law, Jim. He's up in Big Bear for a couple of weeks at our house with his boat.

Yesterday was slow for him - only landed 2.

Today was a totally different story. He took all the good advice floating around and caught 15 total between 7am and 11am - all near the Observatory on the troll, many in the middle of the lake. All caught on a gold castmaster on monofilament with just a small weight. Also trolled a needlefish behind a Shasta flasher, but no hits there. All were 15 or 16 inches. Kept 5 nice ones and eating a healthy trout dinner tonight!

Great job, Jim!!! I'll be up Friday through Monday and hope to share in the action. I'll post with pix if I get lucky.

Cheers,

Eric

Karyn
05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
two words: 1- : ) Congrats! 2- : ( Jealous!

Way to to Jim! Eric, I might be seeing you at the lake on Sat. Look for the girl catchin' her limit! : ) The power of POSITIVE thinking!

diamondbear
05-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I was up there sat. and sun. and caught multiple limits in the middle of lk. in front of the Observ. [ all around the WHITE buoy ] Good luck Eric , looks like you'll be giving your legs a rest this weekend with the boat .// db

Kelster
05-26-2011, 11:51 AM
I haven't trolled FW in years and don't have lead core set up, so can I just use one of my spinning reels with heavier line? Or could I use a small Penn 500 ( used to use for SW) conventional reel to troll? BIL has us signed up for the tournament in June and trying to get my tackle set up. Not asking for any secret places to fish just how to set up for trolling w/o leadcore. Thanks
I was shore fishing Saturday on North side and the bite was very slow. Top bite was extremely good early in the morning.

Big Bear Legal Eagle
05-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Fished Wednesday morning between 9:30 - 11:30 trolling a jointed rainbow and then a Thomas Boyant, both without weights. The fishing was great - the catching not so much. Sounds like I should have headed east to the Observatory. Will be back at our house up there Friday morning for the weekend to give it a another go with the lead. Tight lines!!

Cameron
05-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Great report thanks for the heads up Eric wish i had a boat

Spaulding
05-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Good luck this weekend . I know there are some big boys left over from the derby in the lake for you.

etucker1959
05-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Good luck this weekend . I know there are some big boys left over from the derby in the lake for you.

Fished BBL last Saturday using leadcore. We fished in the afternoon after everyone else whacked them in the morning. We did pretty good when it was tougher fishing. Here is a can't miss method. 30 feet of 6# floro 4 colors deep with a bright orange needlefish. Start east of the observatory down by the launch,troll towards the observatory at 2 miles an hour. notice where your getting bite and then rinse and repeat. Try that and you can't miss.