PDA

View Full Version : who needs local party boat tips?

BabyKiller
05-24-2011, 05:32 PM
i lied. it was a fake posts.

nightcrankin
06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm planning to head out on a few party boats this summer for the first time. Ive got all the Freshwater (bass) and surf fishing gear that I need, but I want to know if any of this gear is versatile enough for the common 1/2 or 3/4 day species.

I have my bass swimbait setup with a 7'6 Heavy Rod and a shimano Cardiff 300 that I was thinking would be a possibility for the calicos, sand bass, and general rock fish. Other than that I have some heavier spinning set ups that I use for pier/surf fishing.

I do have an 80lb 5'9" quantum Boca rod and a conventional Okuma sea demon that I got from the swap meet that I was planning on selling. I know I could use the reel, but I would imagine the rod being a little too heavy to throw irons for cuda. What do you think?

Should I use a wire leader if I do end up using one of these for the Barracuda? I would appreciate any help.

BabyKiller
06-11-2011, 10:23 AM
the 80lb rod is really only effective for trolling in the type of fishing you described. You ca save that rod till you get into tuna. Good stout rod for trolling feathers.

You will want to fish a 30lb bottom rig for rockfish. A bass reel just does not have enough line capacity. However, a shimano torium is a nice solid reel that has never failed me.
An ugly stick tiger rod runs about 50-60 bucks, and is a good multipurpose rod. It can even toss light iron like a tady 45.

A spinning reel has no place on a party boat. They tend to fail on larger fish.

Wire leader is a huge waste of time. A short bite leader of 30lb mono/flouro is fine.

jerryG
06-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Some more party boat tips.. When drifting rockfish remember this..

If the wind is in your face, your in the right place but if the wind hits your back you will you will go home with an empty sack.

Another important tip to remember when drifting..

No angles, no tangles.

Also when your on a big fish always follow your fish.

Try to always pick a lively bait and gently craddle (try not to kill or injure it). Hook it carefully and get in the water quickly. Keeping a fresh bait on your hook at all times will put a lot more fish the sack. If your not getting bit while others are change your bait...

Jerryg

BabyKiller
06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
hi jerry! i got a solid seabass over the weekend. lets do a surf trip with the ant man soon.

jerryG
06-15-2011, 12:28 AM
hi jerry! i got a solid seabass over the weekend. lets do a surf trip with the ant man soon.

John, glad to hear connected with seabastian over the weekend. Lets get together and fish in the next week or two..

Jerryg

Cadillyak
06-15-2011, 12:58 AM
I know spinning rods are unconventional on party boats, but I have landed my fair share of yellowtail on the good ole coffee grinder. Just can't horse them in, play the finess game.

BabyKiller
06-15-2011, 08:19 AM
hey jerry im sending you a pm.