PDA

View Full Version : Help with the kitty fishing!

DynoDan
05-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Ok I live in cypress anyone willing to help me learn the right way to get the cats I would be greatful! I do have a boat that we could take to local lakes , (vine, corona ) but I need to learn from someone who is patient with me. I work Monday - Friday 7 till 330 so please let me know were and when and what! Fish on !

fish-o-haulic
05-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Ok I live in cypress anyone willing to help me learn the right way to get the cats I would be greatful! I do have a boat that we could take to local lakes , (vine, corona ) but I need to learn from someone who is patient with me. I work Monday - Friday 7 till 330 so please let me know were and when and what! Fish on !

Um i could tell you but i wouldnt be able to go with you. its pretty simple. for cats set up your leader about 6inches long with and put earthworm on it. or chicken liver, or anchovie, or catfish doughbait, or stinkbait in a bottle. or anything dead and smelly that will go on the end of your line. its that simple. no special rigs. oh but make sure the eartworm is floating to do that buy one on those bait floater bottles. its like a small bottle that has nothing in it but air with a syringe on it to stick into the worm. Oh and the dorsal fin can fin you because its pointy and has a poison in it that is in no way harmful to you, its just like when you get a cut and you poor salt on it. there poison is just to make the wound they can cause you hurt worse it wont kill you. Oh one last thing depending on where you fish for them will determine the line you use. pyramid aqueduct quail lake places like that youll want to use between 10-15lb test. some people may tell you smaller line than that. i dont know i was tot to fish using big line if your in a big lake. light line if your in a small lake. but other people here were obviously tot to use small line anywhere they go so, its up to you. catfish arent line shy remember that.

reservoir dog
05-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Use anything SMELLY and whatever you decide to use just top it off with some catfish juice (attractant) and you're good to go. You'd be surprised what some people use to bait catfish. I've seen some horrible concoctions and one of them even seems toxic.

steve_rod99
05-24-2011, 03:10 PM
i like fishing for catfish i normaly bait one of my poles with m&m(marshmellow,meal worm) and the other one with mackerel. I normaly go the week or day before to go catch my mackerel to redondo beach.i think it better if its fresh. The one thing that i truly think works is the liver/guts of the mackerel i always get my kittis with that, it really work.Well Good luck!!!=D

Fishbreath
05-24-2011, 05:00 PM
If you are fishing from a boat a lot of people simply flyline the bait and skip the sinker. When I need a sinker for added casting distance, I just use an egg sinker with no stop other than the eye of the hook. People who intend to keep the fish to eat usually fish with an open bail and let them run for ways before closing the bail and setting the hook. If you intend to release the fish, use a circle hook, close the bail, make sure there is a little slack, and just wait for the line to load up without setting the hook. Always use a rod holder unless you want to go fishing for the outfit that just got pulled overboard. Some places in the lake are better than others. Drop offs or troughs where old stream beds were tend to be good. If you don't get bit in a half hour or so, you may want to try a different spot, even if that just means casting to the other side of the boat. Once you find a productive spot, remember it and the next time you can sit on it longer before moving. Buy a second rod stamp. Put all your baits in the same general area, and if someone is in the boat with you, have them do it as well. The catfish find you by smell, so don't confuse them by having your baits too far separated. My go-to bait is cut mackerel dipped in Hog Wild. I know there are those who say any size catfish is good eating, but I prefer them to be no larger than four pounds or so. I always release the larger ones. Good luck!

DynoDan
05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all your advices. But no one will to do some hands on fishing. I will use all you advices thanks again.

Hometown
05-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Show up at the cat coop
thanks for all your advices. But no one will to do some hands on fishing. I will use all you advices thanks again.

DynoDan
05-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Show up at the cat coop

What and were is that?

Hometown
05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Irvine lake july 23 look under fishing rendouvous section to sighn up it will be a blast

Frequent Flyer
05-25-2011, 04:29 PM
ill fish with u every now and then over summer. if u pm me within a week or so before u go i shld b able to go and help u with it. i hav gear lik sinkers hooks and stuff but not that many extra rods