PDA

View Full Version : Seal Beach Jetty 5/23/11

HelicopterJohn
05-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Ventured out at around 10,
Got to my usual spot, had bloodworms and gulp as my typical bait...
Tried my hand at dropshottong for halis, id never dropshotted before!

About 10 minutes in, hookup! :) but lost em!
Fished for about an hour, then the nice lad offered me some live smelt, so I carolined it, first cast, another hookup! Before it even hiit the bottom! :)
Ended the day with one hali, an opaleye, and a small ray!
Sorry no pics!

murrieta angler
05-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Good Job John,
How big was the hali?
Have you tried throwing LC's?
Robert
<><

HelicopterJohn
05-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I tried, but 45 minutes into my session, my braid snapped! No more toughline xp for me. From here on out, its all power pro!
Not only that, but I can't afford 23 bucks a lure!
Luckily I work at melton international tackle, so my purchasing manager put in an order for me!
I get the LC 110's for 11.44 a pop! So I ordered a whole slew of them!
My hali was a good 16" so I happily threw him back!
I definatly need to have you or whoever come out and fish with me one day! I really am in need of some advice and pointers!

Swank909
05-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Luckily I work at melton international tackle, so my purchasing manager put in an order for me!
I get the LC 110's for 11.44 a pop! So I ordered a whole slew of them!

You just became.........my new best friend :P lol jk

Powerpro and Izor spectra are the 2 brands i tend to stick to, izor is my preffered though. You'll end up losing alot of lures throwing them off the jetty though (still hurts, even at half of retail lol), you may want to save them for the surf or harbors. Look into some of the Berkley Gulp jerkshads or Zoom flukes (white ice is a local favorite), just texas rig them on a 2/0 or 3/0 hook and have some fun, the 3" fluke on a d/s is deadly too.

Which Way Out
05-25-2011, 09:46 AM
That's an excellent price for the LCs.
My wife has most of her family in Japan and can't get em any cheaper then what we pay here.:Sad:

vanillagurilla
05-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Nice john, glad to see those tips i gave you worked out for you, i was the big guy in there last saturday with my cuz and his son, we bought that baitrunner 8000! Thanks for the great service! hit me up next time your going to go out, i live like a mile from Miltons.

HelicopterJohn
05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Nice john, glad to see those tips i gave you worked out for you, i was the big guy in there last saturday with my cuz and his son, we bought that baitrunner 8000! Thanks for the great service! hit me up next time your going to go out, i live like a mile from Miltons.

Hey man no problem! I was glad to help! Hope that baitrunner works out for ya!
And I tried the 5" gulp jerk shads in the anchovy pattern dropshotting a foot about a half oz sinker!
Got nailed, but no hookup :(. I hear the pearl white and nuclear chicken work the best!

Re8elmonk0341
05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
That's an excellent price for the LCs.
My wife has most of her family in Japan and can't get em any cheaper then what we pay here.:Sad:

How come I've never thought of that! I have Marines and Sailors stationed there that I know. I'm gonna have them send me a box load of them.

Which Way Out
05-25-2011, 11:09 AM
How come I've never thought of that! I have Marines and Sailors stationed there that I know. I'm gonna have them send me a box load of them.

My wife has most of her family in Japan and CAN'T get em any cheaper then what we pay here
Sorry

vanillagurilla
05-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey man no problem! I was glad to help! Hope that baitrunner works out for ya!
And I tried the 5" gulp jerk shads in the anchovy pattern dropshotting a foot about a half oz sinker!
Got nailed, but no hookup :(. I hear the pearl white and nuclear chicken work the best!

white works, never caught anything on the chicken. Bass trix flash trix minnows work good to but are about $12 for 10 haha, there hollow so they float on the carolina rig.

HelicopterJohn
05-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Hmmmm and if they are hollow I'm sure they won't droop on the dropshot! Big fish in seal beach has them, but they've been out for ever