PDA

View Full Version : Newport landing 05/23/11 1/2 day PM

cklovetofish
05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
I went on the Nautilus yesterday expecting 1 or 2 fish the most. Got to the spot, didn't get much fish for the first stop.
After re-anchored, fish was slowly picked and mostly are just Tom Cods. Oh, no, I thought. Almost an hour gone by and no one really landed anything until the captain starts fishing and showing the kids what to do. The hot ticket was to flyline with just 1/2 oz weight with antrovies and it was wide open for over an hour. I almost landed a fish on every cast, sometimes even double (was using 2 hooks).
Got about 15~20 calico bass, but mojority of them are shorts. I only got 6 legals.
Those folks that only fish on the bottom got some fish with different varieties, calico bass, sand bass, sheep heads, and 2 sculpins at the end of the trip (around 4Pm).
Those that want perch should use #2 hooks or smaller with a strip of squid, all the way to bottom. It was almost wide open for those that did that at about 4:00 to 4:30 PM.
Since I did not anticipate much fish so I did not have a camera with me. Sorry, no pics.

JapanRon
05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi cklovetofish,

Good job !!

JapanRon

Surfnsnowboard3
05-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I went on the Nautilus yesterday expecting 1 or 2 fish the most. Got to the spot, didn't get much fish for the first stop.
After re-anchored, fish was slowly picked and mostly are just Tom Cods. Oh, no, I thought. Almost an hour gone by and no one really landed anything until the captain starts fishing and showing the kids what to do. The hot ticket was to flyline with just 1/2 oz weight with antrovies and it was wide open for over an hour. I almost landed a fish on every cast, sometimes even double (was using 2 hooks).
Got about 15~20 calico bass, but mojority of them are shorts. I only got 6 legals.
Those folks that only fish on the bottom got some fish with different varieties, calico bass, sand bass, sheep heads, and 2 sculpins at the end of the trip (around 4Pm).
Those that want perch should use #2 hooks or smaller with a strip of squid, all the way to bottom. It was almost wide open for those that did that at about 4:00 to 4:30 PM.
Since I did not anticipate much fish so I did not have a camera with me. Sorry, no pics.

I'm headed out of Newport Landing for the first time on Thursday. I've never done it before...any tips?

murrieta angler
05-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Good job getting on some fish.
Robert
<><

DockRat
05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Lot of Checkers there. Good 1/2 day ride.
DR