PDA

View Full Version : Cayucos Pier 5/22....

mrnish
05-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Headed out to Cayucos for a little pier fishing. Got there around 9am, it was nice and sunny, very light winds. It was only me and a family a little further down the pier. it was low tide, so I headed out towards the end of the pier. Tossed my sabiki rig out and bam!..within 2 min. a perch.

No bait was used..I was out there for a total of 1.5 hours and caught 5 perch!..Not bad for an hour and a half. It started getting pretty windy so I called it a day. I'm looking forward to my next outing out there

bones
05-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the report!
Saw a guy using a sabiki rig in the surf one time at Dockweiler. On the first cast he caught 4 little BSP's. He said he was making bait for Leo's. Pretty sure he went over his limit in about 20 minutes. Didn't seem very sportsman like using that rig to be honest but to each their own I suppose.

Which Way Out
05-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Hey mrnish anything else happening up your way as in ?
We chatted last year and I would head up there for a weekend if the conditions are right.
Keep the reports coming.
TNX

DockRat
05-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the report!
Saw a guy using a sabiki rig in the surf one time at Dockweiler. On the first cast he caught 4 little BSP's. He said he was making bait for Leo's. Pretty sure he went over his limit in about 20 minutes. Didn't seem very sportsman like using that rig to be honest but to each their own I suppose.

No Kidding Mike, also when fishing live bait you never want more than 5 - 7 in a bucket or they die very fast.
You should have seen these guys fishing live sardines at KH for Bonito in Feb.
They would get a Kayak scoop in MDR from Larry then drive to KH and have 3 or 4 alive out of 25.

No more than 10 live baits in a bucket 5 is better (less is better rule).
Saw a big school of premium 8" Smelt last week in Pedro, almost busted out a Sabiki too.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
05-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Those darn smelt are pesky. Their darn mouths are too small.

mrnish
05-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Hey mrnish anything else happening up your way as in ?
We chatted last year and I would head up there for a weekend if the conditions are right.
Keep the reports coming.
TNX

This year has been very slow for me...this was my first time this year out on the pier...I have been introduced to Bass fishes these last couple months and have put my time in at lakes. I have been wanting to do more pier fishing these last couple weeks, but the winds have been killer. I will keep you and the others posted on the happenings around here.

lovefofish
05-24-2011, 09:01 PM
nice report

I remember an fnn members post where his wife was using a sabiki in the surf and got a nice bean off it