PDA

View Full Version : Avet Reel Help

udamonkeybutt
05-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Im thinking of picking up myself a AVET SX with the magic cast!!
I am just very confused what line and how heavy of line to spool on. I also need some explaining on what top shotting with mono is??

I plan to use the reel in the surf and pier... targeting smaller sharks and rays....:EyePop:

Goose10
05-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I personally have 40 pound braid on My SX. I'm pretty sure it took all 300 yrds of it.Then I use 25 yrd leader material of fluorocarbon on top of the braid, (i use the alberto knot to connect the two) or I use 25 yrds or so of Mono if i want stretch. I don't know enough about fishing small sharks or rays, but maybe you might want 50lb braid.

vanillagurilla
05-23-2011, 08:59 PM
40 would be good, try a uni to uni knot, it goes thru the guides eaiser.

n1ckxlam
05-23-2011, 11:04 PM
sx is good but the drag pressure isnt terribly high, 14lb max. avet recommends 15-20lb applications, i usually fish it with 25. just keep in mind, casting distance drops with higher guage lines. as for surf and pier applications, it should work well.

when people talk about "topshot", its basically referring to the line at the top of your spool, in contrast to spectra "backing" which fills the base of the spool. line life has always been an issue, people talk about monofilament lasting about 2 weeks or sooner before the quality begins to drop off. spectra is supposed to last 10 years and its line diameter is much smaller than monofilament/clear lines. so the logic goes, filling a majority of your spool with spectra and finishing the rest with a monofilament "topshot" of about 30-100 yards gives a few advantages: ability for a given reel to hold much more line allowing you to also use smaller reels. another is saving money. even though spectra backing can cost $40, now instead of changing the whole spool of monofilament, you only have to change the 30-100yards of topshot. spectra has various other advantages, no stretch, ability to move through kelp, etc.. but "topshot" merely refers to what kind and how much line you have on the end of your spool. usually a "topshot" is in contrast to what ever kind "backing" you have filling the base of the spool

have fun with it, i have an older sx if you want to buy a used one for cheaper. its blue and in great condition, already has spectra backing. i have it on a seeker blue steel rod rated for 25lbs. if ur interested in the combo ill cut you a great deal, pm me.

nick