PDA

View Full Version : Lake Perris - HORRIBLE FISHING CONDITIONS!

Rapala17
05-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Went to Perris to try out my new rod and reel combo I got for graduation.

It is a KVD 1100 CXE Reel (http://www.basspro.com/Quantum-Kevin-VanDam-Signature-Series-Baitcast-Reels/product/10210407/-1760445)

with a Bass Pro Shop 7'0" MH Fast Action Graphite Trigger Rod (http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops%C2%AE-Graphite-Series-Trigger-Rods/product/44304/-948548).

The conditions looked great at the beginning of the day, overcast and glassy water. But after the fog burned off, there was no fish even near the shoreline. Some "bait n' wait' fishermen were catching only bluegill and I only saw or heard of one Bass being caught all day. My issue was all the bait n' wait fishermen basically hogged the shoreline with 3-4 rods each. There was no where to cast because you would get hung up on their line like I did on my third cast (and I was far away from their set up too!). Therefore, I will not be doing any shore fishing at Perris except where there are NO bait n' wait guys.

I think the storm that came in this last week caused the barometer pressure to change and drove the fish deeper. Also I noticed the once prime green brush along the fish-worthy shoreline was very mossy and dying, which means there definitely is no Bass hanging out around those high alkaline structures.

On top of it all, I rolled my ankle walking on the shore. Well there you go! I did mess around and caught a Bluegill on a small Bass Pro Shop Squirming' Shad jig because I was frustrated there was no Bass bite (from shore).

I'll get them next time!

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

NickX3
05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
i havent caught anything at perris in about a week, and everyone i ask around hasnt caught anything really either. i was out sunday morning on the east end of the lake and i saw 1 person from 6am-11am catch 1 small trout. everyone else i talked with said they havent caught anything. even on the sail cove shore & dam i havent seen anyone catch anything.

*edit* looking to go somewhere else tomorrow morning as me and the wife are getting discouraged at perris

tacklejunkie
05-23-2011, 04:22 PM
First you guys had a front move in the last two days. Second:
Either the lake is turning or the fish are funked from the moon OR they are fixed on baitfish. Or all three.
Not to mention some are likely even still buried and busy.

About to get even worse right now with the bluestone, unless that triggers them.
Be ready or not. Gonna go off pretty soon one of these days.

fishmounter
05-23-2011, 05:47 PM
When is the lake scheduled to get the Copper Sulphate? But you know what? I have fished the same day after they "Bluestoned" it, and I have caught fish, so go figure...

NickX3
05-23-2011, 06:12 PM
tomorrow 8am-12

Lakerfan160
05-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Wats Copper Sulphate? is it used to stop the weeds from grow more or wat.

Airona124
05-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Yes to kill algea bloom or something. sometimes fish float belly up I wonder if it's a coincidence

tagg27
05-23-2011, 08:03 PM
How long does the effects (on the fishing) does copper sulphate last? Was going to Perris on wed. Any info would be helpful.

Lakerfan160
05-23-2011, 08:43 PM
does anyone know When is the lake scheduled to get the Copper Sulphate for Santa fe Dam its really bloomed and makes it hard to catch fish with all that algea.

tacklejunkie
05-23-2011, 09:04 PM
You guys will probably see the helicopter.... followed by a few floaters for the next couple of days.
Unless they manage to go light on it.

The bass will make it through. They still catch big ones in there so I know they know how to avoid dying from the bluestone. I have had times where the bite takes off during the blue stone or after and times when it shuts them off. You never know..

tacklejunkie
05-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I'd like to note..
I have been seeing an excessive amount of dead bluegill on the shore already before the bluestone.
about 4 dead floater lmb last time too. Before the bluestone.

Airona124
05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
I'd like to note..
I have been seeing an excessive amount of dead bluegill on the shore already before the bluestone.
about 4 dead floater lmb last time too. Before the bluestone.

Yes true and I did see a couple Bg no bass in sight

bassgrabber1
05-23-2011, 10:08 PM
I thought the bite has been good. I go out there on my boat on Thursdays and we have been catching bass. You just need to now where to look. The foot access shore lines will be tough because of the fishing pressure. Whenever they BLUESTONE aka Copper Sulfate Perris, it takes off with spinner baits. Fish them right in the middle of all the muck and you will catch. I will be there on Thursday...wish me luck. By the way....we had a double whammy on Thursday!! Here's a pic.

dockboy
05-24-2011, 04:53 AM
The smaller fish are affected by bluestone (copper III sulfate) because it highly toxic to fish at concentrated levels. The larger fish can often live through a relatively heavy dose of bluestone, because the LD50 for the toxins is higher as size increases. In the right amounts it can be successfully sued to control algae outbreaks, and it doesn't take much to do this. Water departments seem to believe that dumping heavy amounts in will be more effective, but in reality a lighter, more spread out and less locally concentrated application would probably have the same results for limiting algae production.
As TJ mentioned, its post spawn. Some fish are still up shallow, but the majority are moving out. Shad season is about here, so chances are the larger concentrations of fish will follow the shad offshore. Not to mention, the immediate post-spawn bite can be hard to work from shore, because fish often move into that 20-30' range after spawning in our local reservoirs. Bluegill are mid way through spawning also, and they are far less hardy in spawning rigors. Its not uncommon to see dead 'gills during their spawning period, because they have less ability to survive a tough spawn experience.

the spinning reel bandit
05-24-2011, 09:24 AM
does anyone know if they close the lake durring the blue stone?

bassgrabber1
05-24-2011, 10:28 AM
They close it for that day or for a certain amount of hours I think.

tacklejunkie
05-24-2011, 10:49 AM
It varies, as with everything else there.
Sometimes they close it first half. Sometimes they only allow you to shore fish. Other times they only allow you to tube/boat certain areas.

I been out there tubing the east side once while he freakin' helicopter was dumping and took pictures/reported on it. lol

Kelster
05-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Thought I saw it would be closed from 8-12 w/ only the marina open to fish, then completely open after 12. Lake Perris will be temporarily closed for fishing, swimming, and boating on Tuesday May 24th, 2011 from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM. The lake is being treated with copper sulfate to reduce algae and improve water quality.

The Marina cove and the launch ramp cove are the only locations that you can fish and boat in. At 12:00 PM the lake will be open with no restrictions. Please call 951-940-5600 if you have any questions.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?57053-Perris-is-getting-stoned-May-24th

khanhqpham
05-26-2011, 03:38 AM
The conditions looked great at the beginning of the day, overcast and glassy water. But after the fog burned off, there was no fish even near the shoreline. Some "bait n' wait' fishermen were catching only bluegill and I only saw or heard of one Bass being caught all day.

I was on perris on Sat. May 21. Only caught 1 small red ear next to the island.... didn't see anyone else catch a thing .

Parked the boat at the marina at noon to fill up on cold drinks and saw one guy catch 2 baby trout...in a sea of humanity.

Decided to make a move to the cove next to Inlet Pump....aka Bernisconni Beach? Wide open on the Bluegills. Even the Oriental Dudes from shore were catching them. Used red worms at the start.....but when they started boiling... we switched over to small white minijigs and dropshot berkley power minnows. We even caught 2 bass!!! Great fun on super Ultralight rods!! Sorry no pics.... I usually dont bring a camera on gill fishing trips.

With the water being a bit higher this year, there seems to be less shore access on the inlet side of the lake.

Rapala17
05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Well, that is the last time I am going to Perris without a boat. I will wait hot summer to fish the dam with YUM Dingers, they are money.

Bent Rods For Life,
Rapala17

NickX3
05-26-2011, 01:07 PM
ya i was there from about 6:30 this morning and i just got home... spent 8am til now in the marina with the wife... only got 1 nibble the whole day... but i come home to a nice birthday suprise.. my check and my birthday money waiting for me in the mail.... was gonna go back later this afternoon, but, i might just go to bass pro shop instead, i have more fun there than not catching any fish at perris in 2 weeks (about 6 trips)

halopower
05-26-2011, 10:40 PM
how does the bluestone affect the fry? ..... the lake is loaded with 'em.....

Sublime-Steve
05-26-2011, 10:48 PM
tore it up today!!! bluestone didnt effect the bite i guess

tagg27
05-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Sublime Steve. Great to hear. I am going out tomorrow. What part of the lake were you fishing?

Sublime-Steve
05-26-2011, 11:31 PM
lol what part wasn't i fishing ahhahahaha mostly 11 n 12

tagg27
05-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks. What was the feesh of choice? LMB,BG or redear? Was the bite deep after the bluestone?

Sublime-Steve
05-27-2011, 08:52 AM
all 3 lol there in shallow and semi deep