PDA

View Full Version : Silverwood 5/21

mxwrench
05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Went to the Wood Saturday 5/21. Launched at 7:05am to perfectly glassy conditions. Water temp first thing was 60deg. Immediately noticed the water level was up +5ft from normal (full pool + probably 3 ft.) Water so high that the truck didn't even park on the slant of the launch ramp when I put in. Only the trailer. Hmm.

Went to millers canyon to start with and found almost all beds abandoned and water clarity a bit more murky than typical for this time of year. Also an abundance of fine green algae covering everything on the north side (wind blown side).

Some bass were beginning to re-fan out new beds that relate to the new water depth.

Caught 2 small males holding to structure and 1 female that was hanging out just outside the dark patch leading to the deep water.

Worked my way around the rock wall and caught 1 3.5lb male just off some fallen timber @ about 10ft.

Around 9:30 I headed back to twin coves to find, while clarity had not improved the water temp was up to 62. Caught 2 with a crankbait off the point near shoreline.

Wind pick up near 11:00 and the bite died down a bit. Checked out Chamise cove, Big mama, and outhouse and had 1 good bite in outhouse but wasn't able to bring it in.

Next I moved to Cleghorn to fight the waves. Found some fish but was having a hard time with boat position, and probably spooked them off with the trolling motor. Moved to the south shore found a wind protected little cove and had lunch. Also found a couple of fresh beds and caught 1 male and 1 female on a jig.

I'm not much into poaching bass (fishing for bedding fish) so I moved on back to millers canyon. Water temp now up to 63-64 deg. but the wind is still whipping through. caught 1 3lb'er in the muck near the new dock, and 1 in the bushes hanging in the water (from the high, high water level).

Tired of the wind struggle (gotta get me some powerpoles!!) I decided to pack it in and drift my way back to the dock. Got two more bites and one more fish on as I rounded the bend toward the north wall of millers canyon.

Back on the trailer @ 5pm. So all in all not a bad day. 11 total. all C&R. water level was weird. everything was so different. spots from last week were crap! Like a new lake again. Oh well, good practice!

BK

seal
05-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Nice report. Were you deep in the Mohave river (Cleghorn) in the afternoon, I saw somebody back in there? Off limits to boats if you were, FYI, I'm not giving you crap just letting you know.

Oh and bed fishing = poaching, fishing is becoming way to complicated.....

mxwrench
05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
No, I was kinda over by the beach area and that first point tryin to duck the wind. I know the mojave river is off limits to boats... but...same as waaayyyy back in millers canyon... if there are no bouys...(which there aren't)

Bed fishing is not technically poaching, its perfectly legal, and sometimes a necessity (tournament fishing needing a limit or to cull small fish) but I typically like to leave the bedding fish alone. Kinda akin to that whole fish in a barrel thing:) But, when the fishing is slow sometimes you just can't help yourself. keeps you busy till the bite warms back up in the afternoon. Know what I mean?

One thing thats bugging me about silverwood... They have those nice floating bathrooms in outhouse cove, millers canyon and cleghorn, but they are always locked. Even on weekends. Don't make any sense!

tacklejunkie
05-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Getting ready to plan my assault up there.:Twisted:
Thanks for the water level info.

PS.. "SS relief" is probably locked for your protection lol.

seal
05-23-2011, 03:19 PM
No, I was kinda over by the beach area and that first point tryin to duck the wind. I know the mojave river is off limits to boats... but...same as waaayyyy back in millers canyon... if there are no bouys...(which there aren't)

Bed fishing is not technically poaching, its perfectly legal, and sometimes a necessity (tournament fishing needing a limit or to cull small fish) but I typically like to leave the bedding fish alone. Kinda akin to that whole fish in a barrel thing:) But, when the fishing is slow sometimes you just can't help yourself. keeps you busy till the bite warms back up in the afternoon. Know what I mean?

One thing thats bugging me about silverwood... They have those nice floating bathrooms in outhouse cove, millers canyon and cleghorn, but they are always locked. Even on weekends. Don't make any sense!

I'd bet they will be open starting Memorial Day weekend. The bouy lines in Miller have been down since the storm, I did see the Rangers out re-installing the bouy's that cover Cleghorn. No problem from me I just saw somebody way in Cleghorn and thought maybe it was you.

I had a real good day also, several LMB's caught fly fishing black red headed buggers and several more on Rodent's was in a ODC420 tube.

seal
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Getting ready to plan my assault up there.:Twisted:
Thanks for the water level info.

PS.. "SS relief" is probably locked for your protection lol.

I might be out there in a new ride within a week or so, ordered the rack's for a Kayak and picking the Yak up next week, YEA!!!!

tacklejunkie
05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Sweet I'll have a buddy to get blown around and towed around w/.
Sure Skyler is down too. We'll have to hit it proper this year.
I miss the 'Wood.

I used to see them bag fatties just dragging cranks.
I've yet to get bent on a swimmy fish up there and have a bone to pick.

I remember trying to throw castaic trouts on 10lb line and donating quite a few.

Airona124
05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Nice jobb getting on some fish

Friday I saw them what looked to pumping a large amount of water by the waste facility left of the Dam

I can see it from the top of the hill I was going to ask someone if the water went up guess so
I can also be wrong

srsnow
05-23-2011, 07:42 PM
I was there Saturday first time on the lake got a couple of 2lbers and one that went just over 4lbs. Really neat lake too bad the wind is so brutal.