PDA

View Full Version : Great saturday at Santa Ana River from Southfork ... 5/21

jmyers1
05-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Hit Santa Ana River at Southfork saturday about 1pm and fished till about 5pm. Only a few other guys were there at that time so it was wide open. From the parking lot, I hiked down river hitting different spots and went down about a half mile or maybe a quarter mile or so. Caught so many stocked rainbows i stopped counting after 10+.. but the highlight was catching 4 small brown trout.. 3 of them were less than 6 inches... and one was maybe about 8 inches. Of course i released everything, but it was great to see those elusive browns. Hopefully they get bigger and we can catch them again.

* Does anyone know a good spot along the Santa Ana to catch bigger Browns?

Cameron
05-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Great report i need to get back down there soon last time water was moving super fast & not a lot of pools. Did manage a couple stockers did stay long was just driving back up the mountain.I have got few browns down there over 12" but few and far between I hear deep creek is a good spot for browns or head down bellow big bear damn but thats a hell of a hike.

jmyers1
05-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi Cameron,

I've been meaning to try out Deep Creek, but i'm not quite sure where it is? Is it off highway 18? I was at Boulder Bay most of the day Sunday, and caught a few smallmouth bass and a bunch of blue gill... but no trout. Maybe i'll try the Dam next time I'm up there.

TROUT MASTERS
05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Great report and tanks for the pic's.
I cant belive there are brown in santa ana.
Thanks.
Trout masters.

dockboy
05-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Bear Creek below BBL is a hard hike, but mostly browns. Deep Creek doesn't have much in the way of browns, it mostly wild 'bows. I know SAR has them, but from what I have heard its only in an area that is difficult to get to. This is pretty common. Wild browns in SoCal almost always require forging trails and some good bushwhacking.

Cameron
05-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Wow news to me heres a lil something I found its a couple years old i think 08 not sure..........A few years back the Department of Fish & Game did an Electro-Shocking study on the stream and found areas like Devil's Hole to have browns 18"s and larger. Having lived and fished in the area for the past two decades I can attest to that fact. I still hear an occasional story of the "good old days" when 5 pounders (and larger) were caught in Deep Creek.
I'll pm ya with a a spot or 2.Remember its barbless artificial with 2 fish limit if ur gonna eat a couple.I do agree ur gonna have to hike to get to em tho so be prepared.Good Luck

diamondbear
05-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Devils Hole in deep creek , you can drive to within a couple hundreds yards above the creek [ the last 1/4 mile is 4x4 recommended ] Forest rd.#3N34 [ Out of Cedar Glen , just east of Lk. Arrowhead ] The Pacif Crest Trail travels right above this area and has small steep trails leading to the pools . Beautiful area .

jdietze
05-24-2011, 01:21 PM
There are some bigger browns in the Santa Ana River between South Fork & the confluence with Bear Creek, last time up I managed to get about a 12-14" brown on one the more remote sections, if you can call it that. Mostly just stocked 'bows, though, and that gets boring quick, as they eat or bite on anything you throw. Like the others said, Bear & Deep creeks are better bets with longer hikes. I have also been told that going upstream on the southfork, there are brownies there as well. Hiked a ways up that way a while back and didn't see any fish at all, though.

Viejo
05-24-2011, 05:04 PM
"Only a few other guys were there at that time so it was wide open."

Go back this weekend. Half of the viewers on this thread will be joining you for some shoulder to shoulder fishing for five inch fish. All the information is great....really liked the detailed instructions on how to get to the 15 inch fish. I'm sure everyone will remember the special regs that apply there.

LAKingsTwinsDad
05-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Hey Viejo, whats the url of the super secret fishing message board where you CAN talk about this stuff? Don't be so paranoid. Any fisherman that will take the time to drive a 4x4 trail to a remote area and then take a long hike back into the hole will most likely be a fisherman that knows/learns the regs for that area. This area's never gonna turn into an sgr, too much work for the average dude. you should chill out and let the people that are willing to work for it discover a new hole for them to share with their kids for years to come.

jmyers1
05-26-2011, 09:58 AM
well i'm definately gonna try deep creek.. got some good location info from Cameron. Camping at 7 Oaks this weekend so it will be crowded of course at the campground area.. so i'm gonna hike downriver from the last bridge at 7 oaks and see if i can catch some brooks and browns. Hopefully i'll have some good pics by monday.!

jdietze
06-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Wow, Viejo, you need to give it a rest. This is the second time I've read a report about the SAR, and seen you on whining about what people say. It's a fishing forum, for people to report on the fun times they had, a get a little advice from others. The SAR is no secret place, it's even had articles in the LA Times in the past. It's unfortunate that some people don't follow the regs, but I truly believe that they are a small portion of the folks on this site. Those areas are for EVERYONE to enjoy. Just have a little faith that the rangers will do their jobs, or if you see poachers, call the rangers yourself....

Cameron
06-02-2011, 04:01 PM
& the Massingale Award goes to drum roll please,,,,bahahahahahahaha No I wont say it but u all are thinking it.I cant even put it into words the thoughts rolling this brain right now, but if a rock falls on a fishermans head in the woods & hes a douce no one will care.
for the record i carry out mine & others trash every time I go fishing from line to wtf ever shudnt be there. Some of us are still responsible adults that respect one another & the wildlife. If anyone is willing to hike Glory Ridge then let em friggin do it.Some peoples kids i swear.
J let me know when ur gonna be up at BBl so we can share a beer or something of that nature.

Tom
06-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Wow, Viejo, you need to give it a rest. This is the second time I've read a report about the SAR, and seen you on whining about what people say. It's a fishing forum, for people to report on the fun times they had, a get a little advice from others. The SAR is no secret place, it's even had articles in the LA Times in the past. It's unfortunate that some people don't follow the regs, but I truly believe that they are a small portion of the folks on this site. Those areas are for EVERYONE to enjoy. Just have a little faith that the rangers will do their jobs, or if you see poachers, call the rangers yourself....

Viejo just wants to sit at the SAR with a bucket of worms catching browns with the river all to himself.