PDA

View Full Version : Late Report-June Lake/Lee Vining Creek

peterl
08-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Last week my family and I headed up to the Eastern Sierra's.

First off, we stayed at Lake Front Cabins in June Lake and they were great. Very clean, comfortable, reasonable and they have a great fish cleaning area. Will definately be staying there again.

We fished June Lake from shore and from a boat, fished Silver lake from shore and fished the lower Lee Vining creek.

On Tuesday, we limited out @ June Lake fishing from a boat. We were using rainbow glitter PB on a 24" leader. Fished the shelf areas and killed em. We were done by 11:00am. We also fished the reeds by the marina with spinners and caught and released another 4 or 5. Fishing from shore was tough. We tried a few different areas and only 3 in two trips. The cliffs area off the road was the hot spot, but I did not want to hike there with the kids.

We fished Silver lake from shore (by the boat ramp) and caught 4 one evening (same bait/rig as above) It seemed the 24" leader was the trick.

We also fished the lower Lee Vining creek in the Cattleguard and Aspen Campground area. We drifted salmon eggs and caught and released at least 20 fish between 3 of us in two days. The fish were spooked easily and we had to use 2lb line and size 18 hooks for the salmon eggs.

The biggest fish of the trip was just over a pound, but the whole family had a blast.

I am planning another trip back to June and Lake Front Cabins around October 25th for my sons b-day and to have a last chance before the season ends.

I am in no way connected with Lake Front Cabins, just happy with the service and accomodations. In you are interested, there website is http://www.lakefrontcabins.net

Greg Madrigal
08-07-2007, 10:04 PM
GREAT lookin mess of fish!

I love the loop! :D

WTG!

GM

Scott H.
08-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Nice pics and good looking catch. I like your son's shirt in the first pic!

Wingnut
08-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Sounds like a great trip, congrats on all the catching! :wink:

Troutman65
08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Very nice report. Congrats on your catch of nice trout!!!

Thanks for the pics.

Your kids sure look like thy had a great time . Thtas what really counts !!

Thanks for sharing on FN

Troutman65

Indo-angler
08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the report and the link to the cabins :thumb:
Yes that t-shirt is out of this world :wink:

peterl
08-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, the kids (and I) had a blast. We are planning another trip in Late October.

I have never fished the Sierra's that late in the season, so i am not sure what to expect.

Thanks for the shirt compliments too. :D

Now I need to see if I can get a boat before the October trip. In the market for a 12' porta-bote.

Pete

gwjones00
08-12-2007, 05:38 AM
One of the things you need to be careful about is after Labor Day, the whole area slows down to a crawl. By the end of October, some of the resorts start closing down (Silver Lake Resort for example). Make sure you check when you make your reservations.

Also, while the days can be wonderful, the evenings can be cold at that time of year, with temps in the mornings anywhere from the high teens to the forties.

Bottom line is the weather can be unpredictable. Make sure you check the weather report before leaving and make sure you take the cold weather clothes just in case!

On the upside, the trees should be changing colors at that time of the year, and if you think the area is breathtaking now, catch it in full colors in the autumn!

As far as fishing, it can be great depending on weather! The fish will be on the move looking for food to fatten up on before winter. In general, stocking either stops or slows down that time of year, so while you may not catch the numbers that you did when you went this month, the quality of the fish may be better. Of course, I've also fished that time of year for 30 minute limits too!

Late fall is one of my favorite times of year up there. The pace slows down a bit, everyone is friendlier, and the crisp autumn air is to die for. Have fun!