PDA

View Full Version : Owens River help

xjchad
05-21-2011, 09:43 PM
My Dad, bro in law, and I are heading up to Mammoth area in a few weeks. We want to fish either upper owens or the gorge area. I've read a ton about flyfishing those areas which is what I'll be doing. But my Dad and brother will be using ultra light spinning gear. Which section would be best for that and what tackle would be best? There's tons of info on flyfishing, but not much about spin fishing. I know the special regs and all need to know what to tell them to bring.
Thanks in advance!

dockboy
05-21-2011, 11:50 PM
UL spin fishing is a lot of fun on the Owens. On the Upper section, you can fish bait below Benton Crossing bridge, and all barbless above it. The Gorge and the Lower Section below 5 Bridges is general regs. I flyfish and spin fish the Owens, never have found the need for bait. Your basic Sierra lures do well there. Thomas Bouyants, Super Dupers, Kastmasters, small minnow baits all fish well there. Unless you are fishing something like a big Rapala or LC Pointer 78, don't fish anything heavier than 4lb. I prefer 2-3lb if I spin fish there.
The fisheries are different. Upper Owens is mostly rainbows with browns mixed it. Undercuts, flat grass banks, and spooky wild fish. The DFG loads the lower section below Benton with hungry stockers from Opening Weekend on. The wild fish are much tougher, and you have to use some real skill to hook up. With the amount of snow this year and warm weather on the way, the Upper O will likely be high for a while. Fishing on any part of the Owens is tough during high water. Its better to fish below the bridge for stockers if you don't have experienced trout fisherman in your company, their success rates will be much higher.
Lower Owens can be tough during the summer, mostly because of the flows. It gets warm too, by June its usually 100 degree days at the Wild Trout section. If the flows have been stable for a week or so, its worth a quick hit. Nobody fishes the Lower O during the summer in comparison to fall-spring, and the hatches are still there. You can get into an awesome caddis hatch early and late down there during the summer without seeing another fisherman for miles.
The Gorge is also a lot of fun. 2 sections to it. Lower section from PVR to the power station where you park is much wider than the upper portions and mostly stockers, but lots of browns too. In the summer, the flows start to rise from the power station at 8:30-9am to get water to SoCal, and the bite dies. But you can easily top 30 fish on a good day early before power generation starts. The upper section is much different. No easy access, park and hike down the canyon rim. From the dam at Crowley to the marsh area above the power station, its almost entirely wild browns. Nothing huge, but somewhat spooky. Light line and drab clothes, be careful not to spook the fish during your casts. During a good day, the Gorge is another 30 fish day deal. During the summer, I generally don't fish it. Its prime time for both the rattlers and the nettle come June, and as much as I like to fish the river, by then the San Joaquin is usually open to fish.

RTG
05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
On any stretch of the river crappie jigs and Panther Martins are tough to beat. On the upper portion of the river the regs change to general fishing on the Friday preceding Memorial Day (this Friday). So you may want to fish in that previously closed portion, between Benton Crossing Road bridge downstream to the "fishing monument" first. It has been closed since the opener. Try a nightcrawler or crickets on 4 pound test if you don't mind using bait. But be sure to READ ALL SIGNS and the fishing regulation books. The Eastern Sierra is one of the most regulated areas in the state. And have fun!

xjchad
05-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Awesome, just what I needed to know!
Thanks guys!