PDA

View Full Version : Lake Isabella 5-21-2011, what a day!

Bassnman Mike
05-21-2011, 06:00 PM
The day started out kinda slow, caught a couple 2-3 pound bass then its was crappie time. Hit a couple brush piles for a crappie here and there. I then pitched my jig with crack, on 4 pound fluorocarbon, towards a tree and WACK! Something big hit it. Drag screaming and this thing took off through the trees. I put some pressure on him and finally got him to come back out to open water. I knew it was just a matter of time before he would hit the net. He dove under the boat, started running towards the trolling motor so I pulled it out of the water and continued to battle this beast. After several minutes in the net he goes. Put him on the scale, 12.3 pound channel catfish. Not the greatest picture but here ya go.

http://bassnman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_0783.jpg

Onto the crappie. We moved from tree to tree and finally found “The Tree” and proceeded to pull at least 30 of them out of this one spot then that spot died so we went tree hunting again. Picked up a few here and there and then we once again found another “The Tree” and proceeded to get at least 40 off of it. What fun!

1230 the wind picked up so we take off towards the launch ramp through white caps, made it back safe. After wiping down the Champion we took off to the fish cleaning station at Paradise cove and I filleted crappie for the next hour. We ended up with 38 keepers between 2 of us. I keep a divider in the middle of my livewell to make it easier to grab fish out of it so they cant run to the other side.

“Hey, its pretty crowded in here” Here is a shot of one side of my livewell

http://bassnman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_0785.jpg

“Shut up, its just as crowded over here also” Here’s a shot of the other side of the livewell

http://bassnman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_0786.jpg

Here is a shot of me holding 4 of the average size crappie we kept, yep they are getting bigger

http://bassnman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/IMG_0788.jpg

Had a great time catching them, now its fish fry time!

cutbait
05-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Good grade... does the structure scan help with fing the tree?

Did u see a big ol aluminum boat out there?

Bassnman Mike
05-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Good grade... does the structure scan help with fing the tree?

Did u see a big ol aluminum boat out there?

Thanks.

The structure scan kinda helps but I use a 3 split screen and stick my trolling motor in the bush's and utilize the transducer on the bottom if it.

We saw several big aluminum boats today, were you out?

TheAsianGuy
05-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Dang man! You hit the freaking money pot! Great catches. What the heck happen to the livewells? The water appeared like it got filled with clear jello! Hope the fishes were still alive when you were hauling them back home for fresh prepping.

Bassnman Mike
05-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Dang man! You hit the freaking money pot! Great catches. What the heck happen to the livewells? The water appeared like it got filled with clear jello! Hope the fishes were still alive when you were hauling them back home for fresh prepping.

HA! I didnt notice that until you mentioned it. Its not jello, just the glare of the sun. We actually filleted them at the fish cleaning station at Paradise cove there at the lake

cutbait
05-21-2011, 08:10 PM
I wasn't there. But some fellow fnners were. Do me a favor and take me a pic of the lake with all the water in it.

Ned Glaze
05-21-2011, 09:46 PM
nice catch i was at the upper kern slaying trout let me know if you need any tips im a fish god up there! i will put you on the meat hole! pm me. neds guide service #1 man

Fishin Magician
05-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Nice job mike. Had to do the rafting thing all day. Glad to see they are still biting. Going to get out sometime this week. Then I have some FN'ers to take out this weekend.
What was the water temp?

Bassnman Mike
05-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I wasn't there. But some fellow fnners were. Do me a favor and take me a pic of the lake with all the water in it.

Nice, who was up there and what did their boat look like. As to the picture, I’ll try and remember to take a few for you the next time I’m up there. Maybe I’ll take along the 40D with the 17-40L and get some wide angle shots for you.

nice catch i was at the upper kern slaying trout let me know if you need any tips im a fish god up there! i will put you on the meat hole! pm me. neds guide service #1 man

Thanks! I’m not really a trout fisherman but I’ll PM you because my nephew wants to catch some.

Nice job mike. Had to do the rafting thing all day. Glad to see they are still biting. Going to get out sometime this week. Then I have some FN'ers to take out this weekend.
What was the water temp?

Thanks John. Still getting them in the same general area as before. The bigger females were further back. Good luck to ya and let me know how you do, I’ll be heading back soon myself. BTW, the temp is at the magic spot, 64.7 degrees.

diamondbear
05-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Dang , GOOD JOB DUDE , You got a good days fishing in for sure . I fished Isabella once like 20 years ago and I found a submerged tree and pulled my boat into the shadow and branches and caught crappie like crazy , havent caught once since and miss it bad .

Skaguy04
05-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Way to go!!!!
I need to get out to the lake. Everytime I go up there, I juest head straight for the river lol

Clayrog27
05-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Nice kitty cat!

Bassnman Mike
05-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Dang , GOOD JOB DUDE , You got a good days fishing in for sure . I fished Isabella once like 20 years ago and I found a submerged tree and pulled my boat into the shadow and branches and caught crappie like crazy , havent caught once since and miss it bad .

Thanks it was fun. Chances are the same submerged tree is still there and its probably still loaded with crappie

Way to go!!!!
I need to get out to the lake. Everytime I go up there, I juest head straight for the river lol

Thanks, yeah your missing out not hitting the lake but your still doing pretty darn good on the river.

Nice kitty cat!

Thanks, he was quite the challenge on 4 pound line. I also caught 2 other cats on the crappie jig but they were only about 2-3 pounds each. Guess they are feeding pretty actively when you can get them on small jigs.

KID-FISH
05-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Cool report, that must have been a nice fight on 4 pound test. Glad you were able to get some of that crappie action, nice job.

KF

tracker16
05-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Im going this coming weekend have my reservations in motel. Ill be in the water saturday in a Tracker Super Guide 16". ill be trolling and sitting in the cove where the christmas trees are drop by and say HI!

Bassnman Mike
05-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Cool report, that must have been a nice fight on 4 pound test. Glad you were able to get some of that crappie action, nice job.

KF

Thanks. Yeah I was a little worried when he took off into the trees but then he just came out. Once I had him in open water it was just a matter of time.

Im going this coming weekend have my reservations in motel. Ill be in the water saturday in a Tracker Super Guide 16". ill be trolling and sitting in the cove where the christmas trees are drop by and say HI!

Good luck to ya, I wont be out this weekend. There are just going to be way to many people for me.

Krazzyyo
05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
OH DAMN!!!!..whatta day indeed!!!

IN2DEEP
05-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Bassnman,
Nice report man! :UDaMan:

BTW, thanks for directing me to the Sierra Market/Spirit gas station for the minnows.
Seems to be the only place in town that carries them
We met a guy named "Noble" who works the AM shift.
What a wealth of knowledge and super friendly

Them minnows are like candy to the crappie :Wink:
Seems like the "locals" were using small silver spoons instead of tube jigs

Thanks again

Bassnman Mike
05-24-2011, 08:38 AM
OH DAMN!!!!..whatta day indeed!!!

Thanks

Bassnman,
Nice report man! :UDaMan:

BTW, thanks for directing me to the Sierra Market/Spirit gas station for the minnows.
Seems to be the only place in town that carries them
We met a guy named "Noble" who works the AM shift.
What a wealth of knowledge and super friendly

Them minnows are like candy to the crappie :Wink:
Seems like the "locals" were using small silver spoons instead of tube jigs

Thanks again

Not a problem, they are actually the only place in the area that carries the minnows, all the other bait shops have closed.

As to what the "Locals" use, they all use different stuff but basically its jigs, Kastmasters, minnows and grubs. I think when the bite is "ON" pretty much everything will work.

Cameron
05-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Beautiful fat slabs there I am craving crappie tacos lol...Great report thanks for sharing.

Bassnman Mike
05-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Beautiful fat slabs there I am craving crappie tacos lol...Great report thanks for sharing.

I did make some crappie tacos, very tasty indeed. I said it before and I'll say it again, crappie are one of the most tasty fish you can eat.