PDA

View Full Version : casting brakes

jvergason
05-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Got my curado! Really rusty on casting....not sure how to set the casting brakes. Went by the local tackle shop and picked up some swim baits with 1/2 and 3/4 oz heads. Are you supposed to set the brakes to the weight of the 1/2 oz weight to minimize backlash ? Any help would be appreciated

kaneo
05-21-2011, 06:29 AM
you will have centrifugal brakes on the left side of the reel, you need to open the side plate. you will see 6 sets of brakes, the farther out they are, the slower the spool turns. move them all to the outside, and you also have a cast control next too the reel handle, a round knob. use this for adjusting the weight of the bait. the tighter it is the slower the bait will fall. i set my brakes with only 2 brakes out the rest are pushed all the way in. the cast control varies, best way is to put a bait or lure on your line, engage the spool so the bait slowly drops to the ground, if its dropping too fast tighten the knob a little, it only takes a VERY SMALL adjustment.... then practice, practice and practice... a lot of using a baitcasting reel well, is your thumb, you will also need to keep a light feel on the spool with you thumb, this will also help you from backlashing... good luck

P.A.W.
05-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Yup, you will need to re-adjust every time you change lures if you want max performance.
Got my curado! Really rusty on casting....not sure how to set the casting brakes. Went by the local tackle shop and picked up some swim baits with 1/2 and 3/4 oz heads. Are you supposed to set the brakes to the weight of the 1/2 oz weight to minimize backlash ? Any help would be appreciated

brad1
05-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Once you figure it all out...you will love it .....so much more controls the thumb control is very important