PDA

View Full Version : help/suggestions on buying a kayak

evosamurai
05-19-2011, 07:21 PM
hey guys im looking to buy my first kayak and would appreciate all input in helping me make a decision thanks in advance. I will be doing a majority of my fishing on lakes but also want to get out on the kelp beds this summer, i want to get a kayak that is stable, reasonably priced, and has a lot of uprade potential(live well, fish finder etc) so far im looking at Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler Kayak, Ocean Kayak® Scrambler XT Angler Edition Kayak, Perception Sport Caster Angler Kayak, Pelican Castaway Fishing Kayak. If anyone is familiar with these please give some info, im ready to buy just need help thanks

Coefficient13
05-21-2011, 01:54 AM
I have a sit in kayak, I liked the sit on top ascend and ocean kayaks.

Make a list of where you want to go and find out their rules. Lake casitas won't allow you to go anywhere but there if you make it past inspection/quarantine and unless you get in their storage which is full you have to have a supper hole mounting trolly for it to use their locks to prove you won't go on any other water... all kinds of awkward.

Meanwhile a bunch of reservoirs consider sit on top kayaks too much contact with the water and won't allow them.

So look up your favorite haunts and double check what odd things will make you launch eligible/ineligible, like length, etc. I think being able to go on your favorite waters is number one.

Other than that get what you'll be comfortable with and sounds good. You can customize the heck out of them.

qbi2001
05-21-2011, 06:50 AM
First off, all kayaks are easily upgradable. Some brands have established themselves in the market and have proven themselves over time and again and they are what most kayak anglers will recommend (Malibu, Ocean Kayak, Cobra, Wilderness systems, Hobie). However for your first kayak I don't recommend starting with a 1k kayak before you even know if you like it. My recommendation is to demo as many kayaks as you can and see what feels good to you. I currently fish a Malibu X-Factor and love it. I started with a perception, then a wilderness systems and finally settled on the malibu after six years.

Of the yaks you listed they would all work fine for a lake but if you do start to venture out into the ocean i highly recommend a proven brand since they take more of a beating with the occasional flip on surf launching and landing. Me personally I would rather buy a used proven brand over new pelican or ascend and you can get some great deals on craigslist.

I don't know your location but if your in socal OEX sunset or mission bay are great guys and will let you test paddle multiple kayaks to get the feel of em.

Check out bigwatersedge.com for some great info on kayak fishing.

The Lone Fisherman
05-23-2011, 09:51 AM
I have only been kayaking for one year so take my advice with a grain of salt. I don't have any experience with the kayak mentioned but recommend you test paddle them at a local Kayak shop. The Kayak shop can help determine the right kayak and equipment for you based on your size, weight, level of fitness and fishing locations. Make sure you don't go cheap on the seat & paddle as they can make or break your day. Lastly, imo, MUST HAVE RUDDER!! For the days when the wind blows you... It will help with drift control and keeping the kayak tracking straight.

A year later and after four kayaks, I primarly use a Wilderness Tarpon 160 & Hobie Revolution.

Darius
05-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm not going to doubt any other kayak makes but I can praise the line up of Ocean Kayaks! And I would suggest not buying a Pelican made kayak, I think they are poorly made and are not well built for the open ocean or lakes. So from my own experience Ocean kayak, Malibu, hobie kayak makers make great kayaks. And buy used!

fishinone
05-24-2011, 01:32 PM
DVL and Skinner have a length requirement, the kayak has to be sit inside and it has to tape out 10 ft or better in length.

I don't know about other lakes but take Coefficient13 Coefficient13's advice and research the rules.

fishtales
05-24-2011, 08:20 PM
I've owned 2 kayaks, a Wilderness Systems "Ride" and a Malibu Extreme.

The seat and paddle are very, very important. Can't stress that enough. Don't go cheap on either one.

Stay away from Pelican and probably Emotion.

If you want to be hands-free go with the Hobie. You will still need a paddle just in case you get tired of peddling or need it in an emergency. Hands free is nice.

Try out several kayaks before buying.

If you decide to buy used, make sure the yak has not been stored outside in sunlight. UV rays will do a number on any plastic kayak.

Different kayaks track differently, that's important. That's why I suggest you rent first and try a bunch of them if you haven't already.

Personally, I loved paddling the Ride; less so with the Extreme.

I don't like tippy so I bought 2 yaks that were very stable. I don't like going for a swim out in the ocean. I've paddled the Ocean Kayak Scrambler, tippy in my opinion. I turned quickly to look over my shoulder and was lucky I didn't go for a swim. It sure felt like I was going to fall in.

fishinone
05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
LOL,

I'm kind of taken back by the recommendations to avoid Pelican kayaks, because have one but I really have to agree. I wouldn't want to pay full price for a kayak with the factory defects that mine had. If I had I wouldn't be happy with my purchase.

But for a Hack Yak, the price was right.

Liteweight
05-26-2011, 07:51 PM
I've only been kayak fishing for just under a year. Have done alot of research lately. Check out the following link for some info:
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/servlet/StoreFront
near bottom of page.
If it helps any, I started out with a Malibu Mini-X for fishing the lagoon (Castaic), LA Harbor, Newport and just to get used to. Now after talking to some people (chatting) I now have a good idea of what I'm going to step up to next (for fishing La Jolla).
And I agree with qbi2001, check out bigwatersedge.com

LW

btw: if your interested in a good used Mini-X, (no not mine) I know a guy that has one for sale. Very little use for $299? (works for Malibu).

The Lone Fisherman
05-27-2011, 08:27 PM
FYI, Bass Pro Shops is having a kayak demo this weekend.