PDA

View Full Version : Camping and fishing with my nephew for bday...

shuckymomo
05-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm looking to take my 13 year old nephew on a fishing/camping weekend for his birthday. I'm looking for...

Not more than about 80-85 during the day
Rental boats
Good bass action/good cat action at night
Not crowded
Good camping(Tent)

Within about 2 hours of OC. Looking to do this the weekend of 6/10-12

Thanks!
Keith

sshernandez
05-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Prado is cool..

fish-o-haulic
05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm looking to take my 13 year old nephew on a fishing/camping weekend for his birthday. I'm looking for...

Rental boats
Not crowded
Good camping(Tent)

Thanks!
Keith

Hmmm, not sure if a lake like that fits the description this time of year with two hours of you, ill check google maps.

Sublime-Steve
05-19-2011, 04:21 PM
lake perris? but you cant fish @ nite

PB&J's
05-19-2011, 04:26 PM
corona lakes and santa ana lakes is now open for night fishing and you can camp out, also Big Bear lake although it has been very cold at night.

blackberg
05-19-2011, 05:09 PM
check out lake jennings in SD
SD has the cheapest boat rentals in SoCal

-bb

TheAsianGuy
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Best place is Perris Reservoir. However, make sure you book it way ahead of time, as in, 2 weeks a head of time. Summer is coming around the corner, and man, it can get ugly to find a spot.

Perris will allow you to rent a boat at 7am (hit the rental office at 6:30am to get the quick jump on the rental), which is perfect for the early catches on the panfishes. Help me out guys, but is it $40/hr or the boat..right?

Bass is neither good or bad. Just have to go with the flow with what fishes are biting that day. One rod aim for basses/trouts. The other just let it float for the panfishes. If you have the 3rd rod, rig both for panfishes. You'll see us float tubers out there doing the same.

Camping is not crowded. Very spaced out. Nice place for a family camping. My family of 4 did it just the beginning of this month. If you land yourselves between families that like to party and you don't want to join in, well, can't help you there. We were between a hispanic and black families that party like mad until 10pm (quiet time strictly enforced). They were fun to talk to until bed time. No alcohol suppose to be served, but they were dead drunk..probably moonshiner.

If you're there on 6/10 to 6/12, I'll be out there tubing with few of the boys along the south side of the lake. Join us for a bit of fun.

Rental boats
Not crowded
Good camping(Tent)

Thanks!
Keith

IncredibleHuck
05-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Best place is Perris Reservoir. However, make sure you book it way ahead of time, as in, 2 weeks a head of time. Summer is coming around the corner, and man, it can get ugly to find a spot.

Perris will allow you to rent a boat at 7am (hit the rental office at 6:30am to get the quick jump on the rental), which is perfect for the early catches on the panfishes. Help me out guys, but is it $40/hr or the boat..right?

Bass is neither good or bad. Just have to go with the flow with what fishes are biting that day. One rod aim for basses/trouts. The other just let it float for the panfishes. If you have the 3rd rod, rig both for panfishes. You'll see us float tubers out there doing the same.

Camping is not crowded. Very spaced out. Nice place for a family camping. My family of 4 did it just the beginning of this month. If you land yourselves between families that like to party and you don't want to join in, well, can't help you there. We were between a hispanic and black families that party like mad until 10pm (quiet time strictly enforced). They were fun to talk to until bed time. No alcohol suppose to be served, but they were dead drunk..probably moonshiner.

If you're there on 6/10 to 6/12, I'll be out there tubing with few of the boys along the south side of the lake. Join us for a bit of fun.

Silverwood would be a way better option.

IncredibleHuck
05-19-2011, 06:29 PM

3 rods? You can only fish with two at a time legally.

fish-o-haulic
05-19-2011, 06:30 PM
3 rods? You can only fish with two at a time legally.

not if its two for him and two for his nephew

IncredibleHuck
05-19-2011, 06:32 PM
not if its two for him and two for his nephew

I know but the way he states it, it sounds like he does it off his tube that way.

fish-o-haulic
05-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I know but the way he states it, it sounds like he does it off his tube that way.

cant you get a sticker for as many poles as you want. year before last my grandfather and i were getting licenses and the guy put 4 stickers on my lincense. even though i just asked for two. i went a head and kept it to see how fishing with four poles would be. but they changed how they do lincenses this year. they just print out how many poles you can hav now as opposed to them adding stickers on. but having the use of four poles is expensive because it 13.00 for every sticker.

IncredibleHuck
05-19-2011, 06:48 PM
cant you get a sticker for as many poles as you want. year before last my grandfather and i were getting licenses and the guy put 4 stickers on my lincense. even though i just asked for two. i went a head and kept it to see how fishing with four poles would be. but they changed how they do lincenses this year. they just print out how many poles you can hav now as opposed to them adding stickers on. but having the use of four poles is expensive because it 13.00 for every sticker.

Is this a joke? If not, wow. A 2 pole stamp is to use a 2nd rod and that is the max.

fish-o-haulic
05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Is this a joke? If not, wow. A 2 pole stamp is to use a 2nd rod and that is the max.

what im saying is how they use to do it is, with a fishing license you could use one pole, every sticker means another pole you can use. they may have a limit for how many rods you can fish with but a couple of years ago i think you could fish with like up to four or something. i dont know since then they dont give you stickers they print out how many poles you paid for to use on your license.

IncredibleHuck
05-19-2011, 07:00 PM
what im saying is how they use to do it is, with a fishing license you could use one pole, every sticker means another pole you can use. they may have a limit for how many rods you can fish with but a couple of years ago i think you could fish with like up to four or something. i dont know since then they dont give you stickers they print out how many poles you paid for to use on your license.

Sorry buddy but never been that way. Always been a max of 2.

fish-o-haulic
05-19-2011, 07:02 PM

then walmart guys are stupid.

P.A.W.
05-19-2011, 07:18 PM
BINGO! We have a winner!

shuckymomo
05-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Well, it looks like it is between Perris and Silverwood. Thanks all for the help!

K

TheAsianGuy
05-19-2011, 11:20 PM

He's right with the 2nd rod is the limit using artifiical lures, according to the Dept of Fish and Game. However, DFG also has no regulatory restriction for carrying a spare 3rd rod, as long as it's not active while the other two are actively touching the water. I should have revised my words that the 3rd rod should have a rig for worms/jig lures to capture panfishes if the trouts/basses are not bitting.

DockRat
05-20-2011, 06:30 AM
with a fishing license you could use one pole, every sticker means another pole you can use. :ROFL:

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn457/jaxclarks/Club%20fishing%20day%201109/tworodseach.jpg

IncredibleHuck
05-20-2011, 06:58 AM
He's right with the 2nd rod is the limit using artifiical lures, according to the Dept of Fish and Game. However, DFG also has no regulatory restriction for carrying a spare 3rd rod, as long as it's not active while the other two are actively touching the water. I should have revised my words that the 3rd rod should have a rig for worms/jig lures to capture panfishes if the trouts/basses are not bitting.

Thanks for the clarification. The way you had it sounding, it sounded like you were using 3 at the same time. But you are correct, you can carry as many rods as you want, just can only use two at one time.

Bassnman Mike
05-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Talk about a thread jack, anyhow back to the original question.

Well, it looks like it is between Perris and Silverwood. Thanks all for the help!

K

It's more than 2 hours away but have you considered Lake Isabella? You can camp right on the shore line and catfish all night. They have rentals and the fishing is pretty good.

TheAsianGuy
05-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Ah...the infamous saltwater fishing. There is no limit to rods that's for sure. I remembered we took at least 5 rods each for the deep water expedition.