PDA

View Full Version : Upper trout plant 5/18

SDDave
05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Well got the word that they planted the upper with 2000 or so pounds of trout at the west ramp.
Made it on the lake around 20 minute after the plant, 10:30 I think.
Wind was questionable, NOAA called for later today to turn to a North west wind, gust to 30
Got over to the west ramp and I had a stocker trout setup for the soft bait and a KPN big dog for top water,
only problem was as is much like it's been all year nobody told the stripers...
We watched the movement of the trout, they were balling up in lifeguard cove around the ramp and by the dock.
wind kept getting stronger and stronger, we were tossing baits and waiting for a sign, boil, trouts getting chased, nothing.
The trout were nice 9 inch to 12 inch models, so while I was waiting i tried on a crappy jig and started filling my limit, Made sure that each one was dead before it went into the well...
Wind started to crank as it went by the west ramp it started White capping and I new it was only going to get worse so I called it headed in and put the boat back on the trailer and decided to take a look at the goon, we headed for the goon to soak some Dad's it was a good choice, it was nice down there wind hadn't made its way down there yet only us and Max in his inflatable and three guys in a tin boat, later we saw a tuber.
Sat back soaked some crawdads, ate some lunch, talked about Saturdays moonlight deal and the looser of a Striper season after trout plants, talked and had fun lagoon style .....check my site

MonsterGuppy
05-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Good info Dave, now we just need the stripers to get a little more active.

KID-FISH
05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the recon Dave. I have been wondering what's been going on up there, looks like the stripers don't want to play yet. Maybe once the weather stays consistent, they'll start coming up?

KID

AngryAgent
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
It's a damn shame the tree huggers won't relent and let them stock the Lagoon so we can get back to the swimbait bite. What a crime that is...

SDDave
05-19-2011, 02:24 PM
I do a little swimbaiting down below, but it's more scaled down then say fishing the hudds,
I know guys are still getting nicer grade swimbait fish down there, as far as what's going to be the long lasting effect of no more trout plants. I not sure.
Bluegill swimbaits can produce now that the gills are up and close to there spawn.

kaneo
05-19-2011, 05:20 PM
hey dave just a heads up, its still illegal to keep even dead trout in your live well. the need to be on a stringer. and not in the live well. i got hit up one time by the rangers at piru, and they were the ones that informed me of this law, not too sure where it is the the fishing regs. ? and with the sherriffs on the prowl, i would not want to get caught doing anything wrong... and its A BIG FINE.... they are afraid people will still use the dead trout for bait.... just trying to be helpful, not trying to start a drama thread.... good job getting a few trout for dinner... and by the way there is still about 100 trout from the kids derby a few weeks ago, hiding at the entrance of the coves, there swimming around a BIG submerged tree... its funny how the stripers never keyed in on the trout plants this year ?

SDDave
05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
10/4 Phil, I'll take the advice, I'll just brake there necks and put them in the cooler in a bag from now on, funny how you can keep bluegill alive in a well and not break a law.
Werid how the striper never really got on the trout plants this year.

laserbrn
05-20-2011, 05:07 AM
It is beyond weird now. It's hard to predict fish, but with striper activity up at all of the other local lakes and that being the case for quite awhile now you can't help but get a little concerned that there isn't more going on. Where are all the stripers?