PDA

View Full Version : 4/13 Newport Harbor Late Report

flyngby
04-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Took the Brother-in-laws big kid to the harbor with me for a days outing.
Arrived around 9:30 on a promising tide. Almost instant bite on a Grey Smoothhound Shark. Next a nice bendo for Mitch on the Bat Ray. We then procedded to trade bendo's, me numorous round sting rays, Mitch YFC, Me Bat Ray, Mitch 24" Bat, Me Grey Shark, Mitch Big running bite on the large bat that took him around the bouy on the 25 lb line. BYE BYE!!!

Next was my chance for fame but on the 10lb. line just screaming. I was not able to slow it so I decided to save some line to keep fishing that pole.

Quiet on the tide drop. Late evening produced some more YFC and Quality Spotties.

sansou
04-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Nice!

(I love the old school Mitchell 300 you have in the first pic!!! Memories...)

flyngby
04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks!!

I have 4 of those reels and the still out perform the new 1's if you keep them in good working order. Hate to age myself but they are about 5 yrs older than myself. My brothers we already too high tech to when dad decided to give them up. Also have 2 302's and a 2 1/2"Garcia Rody pole Dad won on a Albi boat as part of the Jackpot Prize. Makes a great Trout pole and wiil take to have a great fight in the harbor.

Thanks hope to meet u.

flyngby
04-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks!!

I have 4 of those reels and the still out perform the new 1's if you keep them in good working order. Hate to age myself but they are about 5 yrs older than myself. My brothers we already too high tech to when dad decided to give them up. Also have 2 302's and a 2 1/2"Garcia Rody pole Dad won on a Albi boat as part of the Jackpot Prize. Makes a great Trout pole and wiil take to have a great fight in the harbor.

Thanks hope to meet u.

Crappie Slayer
04-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Good job.

one_leg
04-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Looks like you had a lot of fun. Probably a 40 lb. flatty you broke off to save line. :lol: J/K

They repair those Mitchel reels for free according to a friend of mine. You pay postage though.
Some people get real hooked on them. They are like their babies.

He let me borrow his for a couple days and it was a real trip down memory lane.

Thanka Tony, No, not you CatchThatTrout. Another Tony.

sansou
04-23-2007, 12:30 AM
FYI: Mitchell released a limited number of 308X reels, which were once available on BPS a couple weeks ago w/free shipping for $15. They look pretty close to the old school ones and come with 5 BBs!! I love the darn thing and was going to ship it to my dad, but now I'm having second thoughts.....

sonarbp
04-23-2007, 08:20 AM
flyngby nice report!!!!! Very nice variety of fish!!!! Where in the bay were you fishing? Looks like from a dock!!!

sonarbp

POSTAL
04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
nice catches :D Nph is a blast .are you by the pump out station ?

spiceguy
04-24-2007, 11:46 AM
nice catches :D Nph is a blast .are you by the pump out station ?

Hmmm, thought that dock looked familiar... :wink:

Matador1238
04-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Very nice spottie!!